Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats up with SLC housing? Nothing but 6 to 9 bedrooms?

Been looking at house rentals in Sandy and Cottonwood Heights. Every damn house is at least 6 bedrooms. I thought having 3 wives was suppose to be uncommon there?

The new construction is just McMansion-y.

Sister Wives is the proper nomenclature

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyLilKitten View Post
    Been looking at house rentals in Sandy and Cottonwood Heights. Every damn house is at least 6 bedrooms. I thought having 3 wives was suppose to be uncommon there?
    Are you looking for seasonal rental or just a short term / vacation stint?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Are you looking for seasonal rental or just a short term / vacation stint?
    I think I'm looking for at least a 6 month or maybe 12 month lease starting Jan 1. I've been in Vegas the last 7 years and I think I'm finally tired of all the hookers, pimps, and drug addicts so I think I want to ski bum at Alta/Bird again. I don't normally care about the cost because here in Vegas I just pay my entire house lease up front in cash which isn't too big a deal since this town runs on cash, but I know from living in SLC that won't fly there so I'm probably looking at something smaller so I can pay the entire lease up front with a check (I'm a card counter so I don't have much in the bank even though I have lots of cash buried in the desert... and I prefer to pay the lease up front instead of providing all the needless personal info people want). Last time I was there I couldn't find a place so I ended up living in a hotel in Midvale for 2 years but I don't want to do that again as I want at least 1 or 2 bedrooms of space. Still not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger since I really need to lose some weight to get back in ski shape, but I need to get out of this filthy town and I'm seriously looking at a Jan 1 move back to Mormon land..... But 6 bedrooms won't work for me as I'm alone and never have company.

Apartment?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

If you don't mind being a little further away, Mill Creek might be easier to find what you're looking for. Still pretty damn close to the mountains too.

Quote Originally Posted by bunion View Post
    Apartment?
    Yeah I'm looking at those. I'm kind of in a bind though. I have never rented apartments because they require references, SSNs, credit checks, pay stubs, employment records, ect ect ect and I don't do any of that. I don't have references, I don't give out my SSN, I have never worked since leaving the military 16 years ago, my credit reports are all locked for privacy reasons, so apartments don't work (which is why I ended up in a hotel for 2 years). I can usually get around all that crap by going to a landlord of a house and say "here's my ID, here's my passport, and here's a years rent upfront with a large security deposit, that's all you need" but the Mormons are so uptight it doesn't work there, and even if it did I don't need a 6 bedroom house. I'll find something, but I'm just surprised at how freakin huge each and every house is.

Yeah I'm looking at those. I'm kind of in a bind though. I have never rented apartments because they require references, SSNs, credit checks, pay stubs, employment records, ect ect ect and I don't do any of that. I don't have references, I don't give out my SSN, I have never worked since leaving the military 16 years ago, my credit reports are all locked for privacy reasons, so apartments don't work (which is why I ended up in a hotel for 2 years). I can usually get around all that crap by going to a landlord of a house and say "here's my ID, here's my passport, and here's a years rent upfront with a large security deposit, that's all you need" but the Mormons are so uptight it doesn't work there, and even if it did I don't need a 6 bedroom house. I'll find something, but I'm just surprised at how freakin huge each and every house is.
    You got some of that cash out of Iraq didn't you, you sneaky bastard. Good on ya.

Fwiw. Moved here 10 years ago. I was able to find a 4 bedroom in sandy for $1600/month. In fact there are at least 2 rentals of that size on my street, both currently rented though. I think my old landlord would have taken your "up front" deal, so there are some out there. You should totally be able to find a 4 bedroomish place in sandy or cottonwood heights I'd imagine keep searching. Good luck

how about stealing someone else's identity for your references?

jk jk
    skid luxury

Howdy Fluff...
    I see very little in your profile which qualify as references>

I have 2 empty bedrooms in cottonwood hts...rentin to a ski bummer could be fun; bsides ,I recovering from some rough times & added income would be good.

wantin to avoid background check sounds bad

Good luck w rentin! My buddy has 2 rentals /occupied...1300-1600$ a month is fair for those 3-4 bedrooms.

If you need quick Painting ,if you move >Message Me I am the one the best applicators in the country / wink smile ..I paint smoother lines than the pros ski...if I could just ski ,as well as I paint!
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Not sure where you've been looking.

https://www.ksl.com/homes/search/ren...res=&Keywords=

River Oaks Apartments rents some furnished units, may be gone. SLC is tough but with you wanting it for a year I have to think you can find something. Search KSL for someone wanting to sublease a condo.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Howdy Fluff...
    wantin to avoid background check sounds bad
    You can run background checks with name and DOB which is on IDs. It's the giving my SSN which I do not do (which most want for credit/background). Thing I don't get about backgrounds is if someone is doing something illegal like running a whorehouse out of the place then a simple call to the police removes the tenant, and as for checking the character to see if they will pay rent or damage the place then paying the lease up front with a security deposit takes care of that as well. So I don't see why landlords feel they have to be so nosey. A landlord should care about getting paid his rent, which paid up front takes care of. He should care about no damage to his property, which security deposit covers. And maybe the only other legitimate concern would be if they are a sex offender, which can be found out running the name. Everything else, friends, family, business contacts, employment records, pay stubs, IRS forms, SSN, credit, background, sexual orientation, whether or not you like to choke yourself with a belt, should be of no concern to a landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Not sure where you've been looking.

https://www.ksl.com/homes/search/ren...res=&Keywords=
    Thanks one. That's what I needed. I forgot about KSL. Been out of the area for too long. I'll find something there.

You can run background checks with name and DOB which is on IDs. It's the giving my SSN which I do not do (which most want for credit/background). Thing I don't get about backgrounds is if someone is doing something illegal like running a whorehouse out of the place then a simple call to the police removes the tenant, and as for checking the character to see if they will pay rent or damage the place then paying the lease up front with a security deposit takes care of that as well. So I don't see why landlords feel they have to be so nosey. A landlord should care about getting paid his rent, which paid up front takes care of. He should care about no damage to his property, which security deposit covers. And maybe the only other legitimate concern would be if they are a sex offender, which can be found out running the name. Everything else, friends, family, business contacts, employment records, pay stubs, IRS forms, SSN, credit, background, sexual orientation, whether or not you like to choke yourself with a belt, should be of no concern to a landlord.
    I take it you've never been a landlord. It's pretty tough to get a renter out if things go sideways so they need as much info as possible. The few grand deposit won't even come close to fixing anything beyond light handy work. Good luck finding a understanding land lord.

What about craigslist? I used that a few times in SLC back in the day. A look at the site now doesnt look as promising and easy as it once was though....

I've had better luck on KSL although ymmv

I moved here this summer and we ended up renting a place in Sugarhouse that is way too big for us, but it's nice and was in the right price range. Seems like the only good options were 5+ bedrooms or student-targeted housing. KSL and Rentler both had some good places, though there seems to be a lot of overlap. As far as craigslist goes, it's worth looking at but I think KSL classifieds is so big around here that craigslist is much smaller than normal.

If you're worried about the background check and proof of income, maybe try finding a roommate? When I lived in Boston, I joined a four bedroom house that was already set up and lived there without ever even signing an official lease.

I know this chick that has an apartment. Only thing is, it's red.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

sounds like finding an old fallout shelter might be just the ticket for you

I am seriously curious what it is that you have to hide so desperately

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I am seriously curious what it is that you have to hide so desperately
    Liking privacy and possession of my personal information means I'm hiding something? lol This Facebook generation that posts their every lil thought and movement for the world to see and keeps sex videos on their cell phones really crack me up. So you guys all bitch about Trump and how he is a Nazi about to hunt everyone down and then you go and hand out all your personal info to everyone while questioning anybody who doesn't? You guys are idiots.... I bet I could find every damn thing about you along with who you voted for, every address you have ever had, all your friends you've ever had, and any naked pics you have if I just get your email. Me? Banks won't even open an account for me because they say I don't exist. I once didn't call my family for a while and they sent PI's to physically find me and they couldn't. I've never once had a Facebook or Myspace. You guys are all completely vulnerable and yet you have no clue.

Liking privacy and possession of my personal information means I'm hiding something? lol This Facebook generation that posts their every lil thought and movement for the world to see and keeps sex videos on their cell phones really crack me up. So you guys all bitch about Trump and how he is a Nazi about to hunt everyone down and then you go and hand out all your personal info to everyone while questioning anybody who doesn't? You guys are idiots.... I bet I could find every damn thing about you along with who you voted for, every address you have ever had, all your friends you've ever had, and any naked pics you have if I just get your email. Me? Banks won't even open an account for me because they say I don't exist. I once didn't call my family for a while and they sent PI's to physically find me and they couldn't. I've never once had a Facebook or Myspace. You guys are all completely vulnerable and yet you have no clue.
    Is this mainly so you can avoid taxes and keep the IRS away?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    that which you seek is in the bigger better cc
    but your a month or so late
    there was this cat big balls a few years ago who had the same problem
    couldn't find anyone to rent him a house to hygrow and sling trees from
    without references or a credit check
    it may fly in vegas
    but doubtful here
    never rent that which you can buy and own
    the sack of cash needs to be pretty damn big though
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno