Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    They all do it....
    Not really.

nice try, troll

edit to note that one sentence deleted his troll-y comments
    skid luxury

FWIW, when Mt. Baker is reporting "Machine Groomed" surface conditions that means all that's worth riding is the stuff that's been groomed and sometimes not even that

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    nice try, troll

edit to note that one sentence deleted his troll-y comments
    Honestly wasn't trying to troll, but I know how defensive Jackson locals get so I edited my last post.

yawn
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    FWIW, when Mt. Baker is reporting "Machine Groomed" surface conditions that means all that's worth riding is the stuff that's been groomed and sometimes not even that

ha! we should start a ski area euphemism thread ...so many good ones
    skid luxury

J Hole (as called in Silicon Valley) will not be skiable until Feb 1 (seriously). They are starting to build their base Dec 1 and as rocky and steep as the mountain is it will take over 100" to have a skiable base. So you guys are looking at a 2 month season. Feb and March.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyLilKitten View Post
    J Hole (as called in Silicon Valley) will not be skiable until Feb 1 (seriously). They are starting to build their base Dec 1 and as rocky and steep as the mountain is it will take over 100" to have a skiable base. So you guys are looking at a 2 month season. Feb and March.
    And our two months are better then your last 5 years?

On a serious note, let's start skiing!!

Truth. Pretty much everywhere else will ski better than Jackson this year. I thought about leaving town for the winter, but I'm really stoked about the new BBQ joints opening up. Finally we can have serious food discussions instead of the same old taco conversation. Anymore, Jackson is more of a food destination than a ski town.

I mostly go for the beer, but yeah, I suppose the food is worth the trip too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Finally we can have serious food discussions instead of the same old taco conversation.
    As much as I love breakfast at The Bunnery I need more than that and 2 months of skiing in a season (and besides, the last time I had breakfast at The Bunnery some fat drama queen gay guy for a server gave me tons of attitude).

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Truth. Pretty much everywhere else will ski better than Jackson this year. I thought about leaving town for the winter, but I'm really stoked about the new BBQ joints opening up. Finally we can have serious food discussions instead of the same old taco conversation. Anymore, Jackson is more of a food destination than a ski town.
    Tacos around here are getting stale. Sweet Cheek Meats is a worthy stop for bfast, lunch and meats.

As stated above, if we won't be skiing until February, we should eat well until then.

Yeah, you guys should probably just cancel your plans for Jackson this year. I'm sure I'll be skiing lots of hard pack, but will report back if any of you dentists need to rent some groomer skis and make the trip.

Just got home to my car buried under a foot in the Big Holes. And I won a Targhee Pass (already have one). Solid start to the week.

Targhee opens Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Nobody cooks the books quite like JH when it comes to snow totals.
    The snow totals on the website are what the BTNF avi center reports. When the avi center starts recording snowfall, JHMR starts counting it. I wouldn't say they are any worse than other resorts. Every resort puts their snow plots in favorable locations.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    The snow totals on the website are what the BTNF avi center reports. When the avi center starts recording snowfall, JHMR starts counting it. I wouldn't say they are any worse than other resorts. Every resort puts their snow plots in favorable locations.
    Not exactly. JH shows 2 numbers on their website. The higher number is from the Rendezvous Bowl station at 9580. This number is arguably not representative of most of the ski area, which gets far less snow.
    So I wouldn't say they are cooking the books (what they report is a real number), but maybe being somewhat misleading. The mid-mountain number would be more accurate for the whole resort.

Quote Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
    Not exactly. JH shows 2 numbers on their website. The higher number is from the Rendezvous Bowl station at 9580. This number is arguably not representative of most of the ski area, which gets far less snow.
    So I wouldn't say they are cooking the books (what they report is a real number), but maybe being somewhat misleading. The mid-mountain number would be more accurate for the whole resort.
    Jhmr reports which ever number is bigger from the plots. Sometimes raymer is higher. In any case, Jackson sucks tell your friends

What I was specifically thinking about when I said "cooks the books" was how the JH website straight up compared their snow totals to other resorts. Those comparisons were often JH's summit totals vs other ski area's mid-mountain or even base area numbers. I don't know if they are going to continue to do that this season or not.

Not a huge deal and I know it's just marketing department stuff.

I will bow out know because I really do love the skiing and mountain biking there. It would be a great place to live.

To be honest resorts like Jackson Hole and Whistler with huge vertical do have a point in moving their snow recording up the mountain a bit. I mean if Whistler reported their base snow levels then their annual snowfall would be a pathetic 30" a year instead of a better (but still pathetic) wet 350" a year. I think Squaw is the worst offender imho though. Squaw will have a downpour of rain over %90 of the mountain but at the tippy top of Granite Chief it will be snow so they will report a storm total of 30" even though %90 of the mountain is bare. Complete bullshit.

I have some 181 ON3P Wrens collecting dust, mounted with Griffons. In great shape, couple of pro fixed coreshots. These things are burly and have a lifetime left in them. Don't want to ship, $100 local deal? In Victor but can meet over the hill.
    Name:  Wrens.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  45.9 KB

To be honest resorts like Jackson Hole and Whistler with huge vertical do have a point in moving their snow recording up the mountain a bit. I mean if Whistler reported their base snow levels then their annual snowfall would be a pathetic 30" a year instead of a better (but still pathetic) wet 350" a year. I think Squaw is the worst offender imho though. Squaw will have a downpour of rain over %90 of the mountain but at the tippy top of Granite Chief it will be snow so they will report a storm total of 30" even though %90 of the mountain is bare. Complete bullshit.
    Everyone does it. Whistler consistently uses trickery to make their snow totals bigger. Sunshine Village in Banff seems to report a mystical number that no one can even figure out where it came from.

Also, anybody have a line on a level 1 refresher at some point this season? Homemadesalsa, you out there?

On the other side of the Great Potato, lowly Bogus Basin adopted a new method of reporting last year wherein they multiplied the measured snow water equivalent by an assumed average density of their choosing. If their numbers were correct, specifically for density, we'd have been skiing waist-deep blower on a weekly basis. I don't doubt that the SNOTEL measured SWE correctly.

Evidently, no mountain is too small to inflate their snowfall totals.

Quote Originally Posted by christoweber View Post
    Jhmr reports which ever number is bigger from the plots. Sometimes raymer is higher. In any case, Jackson sucks tell your friends
    Don't blame em. I'd do it if I was their mkt'g person.

You headin this way anytime soon Cristo?