Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    A PNW winter is the new norm, its abysmal under 2000m here in Europe now. Skied St Anton yesterday and we could only dream, if there was snow. Global temps are rising quick. In happy news,Tetons are still crowdless I assume and holy shit you guys are getting nuked. Raymer at 147", wow, wish I was there. 100 year winter by the time its done I bet.
    PS how tired are everyones legs, or did the 4 day blow down help out with that?

This guy's not supposed to be there:
    Name:  WYO22TetonPassWest.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  17.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Skosh View Post
    This guy's not supposed to be there:
    Name:  WYO22TetonPassWest.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  17.9 KB
    wow, wtf?
    when did the pass close? my nixle closure warning email was @330pm. was this guy part way up when it closed?

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    wow, wtf?
    when did the pass close? my nixle closure warning email was @330pm. was this guy part way up when it closed?
    No trailers allowed November-April, so this guy's double fucked.

wow, wtf?
    Closed at 2:30. Sign up for the WYDOT texts, but not the notifications, otherwise you get one every time it changes to chain law etc.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

yeah, got that part.

just wondering how he got up there since it was at least 45 minutes (1hr 15 seeing Tye 1on's post!) after the road closed.
    you'd figure there were some highway patrol/wydot people around involved with closing the road, can't figure out the timeline/logistics. Usually in broad daylight they can catch them early, let alone when the road & weather is turning to shit & they are thinking about closing...

What do you mean? Last I heard the fine starts at like $600? Would be interested in more accurate info but afaik it's barely a slap on the wrist.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    Hey Brock were you successful in your hot tub poach? There are three of us in a condo with no tub and we're looking for one with easy access.
    Was actually too tired, we grabbed some dinner and beers then passed out hard
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    A PNW winter is the new norm, its abysmal under 2000m here in Europe now. Skied St Anton yesterday and we could only dream, if there was snow. Global temps are rising quick. In happy news,Tetons are still crowdless I assume and holy shit you guys are getting nuked. Raymer at 147", wow, wish I was there. 100 year winter by the time its done I bet.
    We've had a lot of warm, wet and windy, but also extended periods of sub zero (I know, I've been building outside this winter). December and January were well below normal temps. Too soon to call one month's weather the "new normal".

And crowdless? I wish.

yeah, got that part.

just wondering how he got up there since it was at least 45 minutes (1hr 15 seeing Tye 1on's post!) after the road closed.
    you'd figure there were some highway patrol/wydot people around involved with closing the road, can't figure out the timeline/logistics. Usually in broad daylight they can catch them early, let alone when the road & weather is turning to shit & they are thinking about closing...
    I see now from various facebook comments that stuck truck was likely part of closure reason, not something that snuck in unrelated to closure. makes more sense.

what skins are working for people as of late? All my fancy euro skins that work great in dry cold don't really care for wet much. My old High Trail Evotec Climbing Skins seem to be the best, super slow but they aren't failing like the Kohla ones I took out today that I managed to kick off 3 fucking times.. Nothing was working Voile Straps, back of the leg trick, apparently Colltex is making some adhesive you can spray on to make skins stick when they fail? TBD if it actually works.

I see now from various facebook comments that stuck truck was likely part of closure reason, not something that snuck in unrelated to closure. makes more sense.
    did you not see my post from earlier today or you got me blocked either way carry on

ha, shit, my bad.
    was just scrolling past all those pass webcam screengrabs and the truck caught my eye.

Wow was it nasty today. Lower faces initially heavy glop, and then so sticky you could not even ski it.
    Most unskiable snow I ever rode
    Need some healing cold and snow
    . . .

Jackson Hole/Targhee/Tetons Roll Call 2016/2017

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    The snow has definitely been working me when I get out!

Gonna be an interesting fishing season. Already had a couple good days. When are you headed back? We should get a lake day when all this white stuff comes down.
    Last edited by schwerty; 02-22-2017 at 09:58 AM.

jh avy center, avalanche list :

sweet. bet there's a full report of what went wrong.
    just like that guided party avalanche incident in turkey chute a little while back was so well documented
    First incident, have seen the video and know the peeps, low energy but 18-20 inch crown, in steeper terrain. Piled into trees and stopped, pretty scary. He was feet first the whole way.

Second one, same aspect, probably not feet first, heard collar bone and ribs broken.

Also heard rumor of someone out still in Granite, the old top gate blown to Cardiac drainage. Take that one with a grain of salt.

When will they open tomorrow, will Car 1 still be dragging in the snow between tower 5 and the dock?

Do I go early or go to the office?
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

SIDS kid

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    Also heard rumor of someone out still in Granite, the old top gate blown to Cardiac drainage. Take that one with a grain of salt.
    Amazing balls for the rangers to ski out there in 70 mph winds to get the guy, but news and guide says they abandoned due to hazard.
    Cannot imagine 2 nights out there with the winds raging. Hope the guy makes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    When will they open tomorrow, will Car 1 still be dragging in the snow between tower 5 and the dock?
    ?
    Iceberg dead ahead!
    Reverse all engines!

If they cannot clear the drift, it's going to be a car 2 only day.
    . . .

has there been much talk about the fatality involving a party climbing the south teton to access the amora vida line?
    sounds like it was a fall from the looker's right side of the amora vida line while climbing?

http://www.tetonvalleynews.net/news/...a257c8c95.html

There was a photo showing ascent route and intended line on jhavalanche dot org, but no longer
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    has there been much talk about the fatality involving a party climbing the south teton to access the amora vida line?
    sounds like it was a fall from the looker's right side of the amora vida line while climbing?

http://www.tetonvalleynews.net/news/...a257c8c95.html

There was a photo showing ascent route and intended line on jhavalanche dot org, but no longer
    There's a longer article in todays JH NAG: http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/c...c3a577b4d.html

thanks for the link, tragic stuff.
    condolences to family and friends

I was wrong, it started with a route-finding error during the descent, not on ascent
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    you should probably road trip up here in about 2 weeks when it's summit time
    Thanks! I wish I could but I need to really buckle down and focus on my Microbiology course right now. We have been getting slammed with snow this season (for us) and it's been having a negative impact on my studies.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Amazing balls for the rangers to ski out there in 70 mph winds to get the guy, but news and guide says they abandoned due to hazard.
    Cannot imagine 2 nights out there with the winds raging. Hope the guy makes it.

Iceberg dead ahead!
    Reverse all engines!

If they cannot clear the drift, it's going to be a car 2 only day.
    supergaper called it...#2 only and it made for big liftlines
    also heard guy in granite had army experience dug a cave,just didn't know where he was. while someone else with him climbed back up to corbett's at 1 am.so it sound's like they were in targhee woods.
    skiing was good in/out gates except the lower half and a pic to add.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0717.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	870.9 KB 
ID:	200749
    breakneck looking tame

Quote Originally Posted by passholer View Post
    supergaper called it...#2 only and it made for big liftlines
    also heard guy in granite had army experience dug a cave,just didn't know where he was. while someone else with him climbed back up to corbett's at 1 am.so it sound's like they were in targhee woods.
    skiing was good in/out gates except the lower half and a pic to add.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0717.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	870.9 KB 
ID:	200749
    breakneck looking tame
    Wow! That looks like so much fun though. Two turns and a pinner.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I thought the Granite thing was bar talk, but a great ending!

http://jacksonhole.media/2017/02/mis...found-rescued/

That's the Park Service statement cut and pasted basically.

Crazy that they split up- The guy who skinned up is apparently a Marine pilot. He
    went with a only minimal under layers and his shell. Gave everything to his partner.

The night creature was pretty freaked to have company at 1:30 am when it was gusting
    80+!

So happy for a great ending!

How does this happen over and over? Just go out the bottom gate, no cliffs, no blow into
    Granite.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia