Just bought some Kreitler Rollers - urban tires or are trainer tires the way to go?

Just picked up a nice set of Kreitler rollers, 3" full alloy drums. Have an old road bike I could use on them, but would also like to use a 26" hardtail mountain bike. Are trainer specific tires 26" really the way to go? Or could I pick up some urban riding tires with a semi tread, like the maxxis hookworm or DTH. I'll probably use them twice a week about 4-5 months a year for a half hour to an hour.

Congrats on the Kreitler rollers. I've owned quite a few different sets of rollers over the past 40 years, and Kreitlers are among the very best.

Less tread is definitely better. The biggest problem with tread on rollers, in my opinion, is noise. I tried riding rollers (Kreitlers, in fact) on a cross bike with slightly knobby tires. You probably could have heard them from a mile or two away. It's hard to tell from looking at pictures of the hookworm & DTH, but my guess is they'll be moderately loud, but maybe acceptable. I don't know that you need trainer-specific tires, though. I'm a roadie, but I use the same tires on rollers that I use on the road.

You also should consider getting some kind of sweat protector for your bike. I use this one from Tacx. Before I got that, I had problems with rusting bolts (headset, brake cable) as well as some rusting on the frame of my rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Congrats on the Kreitler rollers. I've owned quite a few different sets of rollers over the past 40 years, and Kreitlers are among the very best.

Less tread is definitely better. The biggest problem with tread on rollers, in my opinion, is noise. I tried riding rollers (Kreitlers, in fact) on a cross bike with slightly knobby tires. You probably could have heard them from a mile or two away. It's hard to tell from looking at pictures of the hookworm & DTH, but my guess is they'll be moderately loud, but maybe acceptable. I don't know that you need trainer-specific tires, though. I'm a roadie, but I use the same tires on rollers that I use on the road.

You also should consider getting some kind of sweat protector for your bike. I use this one from Tacx. Before I got that, I had problems with rusting bolts (headset, brake cable) as well as some rusting on the frame of my rollers.
    Sounds good, thanks. Killer deal on the rollers off ebay. I ordered some conti training tires on jetski's advice. (he deleted his post?)

I'm going to use this in a living room with a TV so less noise and rubber shedding is top priority. I have a choice of a couple different bikes or wheelsets these could go on.

I can make up a bike protector with some spare cloth and Velcro straps I have.

I just save any old road tire that is worn out and run them on my rollers.....never flatted yet.

Maybe if you rode outside, you wouldn't get bored after 30 minutes and you would post less.

Yeah, or just go skiing in the winter, like the rest of us.

Does this mean next season you will be ranting about the superiority of 26" tires for indoor trainers?

Unless you fuck up and fall off the rollers you won't be going ANYWHERE so just run whatever bike you Wana ride

I have Tioga city slickers in 26" size for my touring bike should be cheap & quiet
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Just picked up a nice set of Kreitler rollers, 3" full alloy drums. Have an old road bike I could use on them, but would also like to use a 26" hardtail mountain bike. Are trainer specific tires 26" really the way to go? Or could I pick up some urban riding tires with a semi tread, like the maxxis hookworm or DTH. I'll probably use them twice a week about 4-5 months a year for a half hour to an hour.
    Why in the fuck would you like to use you mtb on the rollers? What could possibly be the benefit of that?

I got a smart trainer which is apparently smarter than I am. I also picked up the Tacx sweat cover that Suit mentioned. It's honestly unnecessary IMHO. However, I do like that I can have my phone secure and then control the trainer or Zwift with it. That's a big plus.
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    I also picked up the Tacx sweat cover that Suit mentioned. It's honestly unnecessary IMHO.
    Really? You are a superior being. It's disgusting how much sweat pours off of me when I ride rollers for 20 minutes or more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Really? You are a superior being. It's disgusting how much sweat pours off of me when I ride rollers for 20 minutes or more.
    And do it for a season and see if the bolt on your stem doesn't start to turn orange with rust

LOL. Not a chance.

I sweat a lot too but I have two fans on me and two small towels on my handlebars so I generally keep sweat off of me. Mind you, I'm not on rollers and I have had them so I know you need your balance. I sweat like a champion, but I also clean my bike every few weeks to prevent any damage from rust and do maintenance if necessary.
    パウダーバカ!!

Got the Conti training tires, they work great on the rollers. Had to put a bigger chaining on the bike to generate enough resistance.

Plus headphones.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda