Page 62 of 98 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2440
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Later is of course more likely to get good weather, but June is still far from guaranteed around here. The Shuksan approach might be a bit more shwacky, and you probably won't be able to ski to the bridge for the 10k vert Rainier run. Our NW weather doesn't make it easy to plan a ski trip in advance, but I'd probably choose June in your shoes.
    Good to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    Snowpack is average. Which is good. Furhrer is best done early but the weather usually sucks. North Face of shuksan or any other big north face all seem to get skied in july when they consolidate and start getting lots of sun. May/June can sometimes suck due to snowfall up high followed by hot as fuck with no refreeze. I'd rather the eastern sierra with a fat snowpack. Which begs the question why you'd come up here when it's fat down there?
    Fair point. I have a Seattle buddy who comes down to do the Eastside with me every year and I kind of owe him a trip. Also, Shuksan looks like such a rad mountain. But if I had to postpone my PNW a year, I wouldn't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I think he's running out of stuff to do down here.
    Haha. No way, man. Every time I ski a line, I discover five new ones I want to do.

In my 40+ years in the PNW, there is a little window in April or May when it gets clear, but it's not consistent.
    Lots of times all we have is slush and slurpee slides until July.

A good corn cycle before July is rare.

Plus Rainier NP doesn't open the While River side until June lots of years and there's a ton of great skiing up there as well on the Inter Glacier and Summerland.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    In my 40+ years in the PNW, there is a little window in April or May when it gets clear, but it's not consistent.
    Lots of times all we have is slush and slurpee slides until July.

A good corn cycle before July is rare.

Plus Rainier NP doesn't open the While River side until June lots of years and there's a ton of great skiing up there as well on the Inter Glacier and Summerland.
    Usually everything is sun cupped by middle of July. I think May-June is typically best time for consistent corn, and often you can get a corn cycle by driving a couple hours north or south because large warm fronts aren't consistently hitting us like they do in November-March.

Maybe where you live, but around here the weather usually sucks in may and early june.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Currently planning a trip to the eastern Sierra, in my experience the corn skiing is more consistent than the Cascades—less rain, more sun, clear nights.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Need to get further east if you want corn in May. The roads don't stop at the crest.

37F and nuking heavy snow at the Great White Northern Dead-End currently... things got heavy this afternoon but the morning was ah-maze-zing

In Glacier for the weekend, send PMs my way if you wanna meet up to lap chairs or go touring

This zone played nicely

Probably because it was a weekday and this wasn't spinning

Always nice to get back to the roots of single-planking

Even if the drive to town's too short for serious snacking
    Last edited by pipedream; 03-17-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Need to get further east if you want corn in May. The roads don't stop at the crest.
    Yea that's partially what I meant, an extra 15-30 minute drive would put you into corn in may. Also Chinook pass and North Cascades when they open.

Y'all got me pumped! Seriously though, I appreciate the advice. Graydon, hit me up if you need eastside beta.

Decent skiing on the AM groomers at Mission today, shit fuck conditions elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Decent skiing on the AM groomers at Mission today, shit fuck conditions elsewhere.
    I hiked to windy ridge, slightly smooth wind deposit. Left at 10:45 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I hiked to windy ridge, slightly smooth wind deposit. Left at 10:45 though.
    Found some of that on Thursday, it was okay but limited dispersion. Tomorrow looks to be a good day for corn/slush in the sun.

Gross...

Turning white again
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Definitely don't come north tomorrow morning

Bearded Clam, good seeing you last evening and sorry you didn't get to blast the fuck out of everything this morning

If that's what passes for a bad day at Baker, I can't wait to see a good day there. Chair6 and 1 were closed, but the stoke meter stayed pegged all day. I'll be back someday soon.

Found some soft and some variable tonight at Stevens. Far from perfect but better than expected. The wind buff on upper Skyline was amazing and made for smooth turns all night.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

High speed Chinese downhills on fast and firm groomers with the NCW maggot crew - kopi_red, nwskier, kai_ski and Aaron Wright. Average speed was 50mph per Nwskiers GPS. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    High speed Chinese downhills on fast and firm groomers with the NCW maggot crew - kopi_red, nwskier, kai_ski and Aaron Wright. Average speed was 50mph per Nwskiers GPS. Fun.
    You guys were going a little fast for my comfort level given the conditions. Nice to see everyone. I'm not sure about the Passion Fruit Ale though.

Had a great day at xtal with the soon to be two year old today. Really is an exceptional hill.

Anyone at Stevens tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Anyone at Stevens tomorrow?
    Maybe Friday

Was nice to get some sunshine yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Really fun skiing at Mission today with Neil, Kai and his woman. Steeper north facing held dense new snow mixed with graupel. Groomers were fantastic and Bowl 4 and Microwave were great. Blue skies and cool to moderate temps. Way better than expected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	203122

Pretty big day for Todd.