Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Webcams are looking good this morning.

9" new at Paradise and Chinook, 10" Stevens...

Might stretch the legs on a tour up to Muir this Friday if the weather window maintains. Anybody interested in a mellow preseason cruise? I'm slow from kid duty...
    Last edited by Norseman; 11-16-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Might stretch the legs on a tour up to Muir this Friday if the weather window maintains. Anybody interested in a mellow preseason cruise? I'm slow from kid duty...
    Interesting...
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Are you sure about Chinook? It seems like it's getting shadowed by the westerly flow from Rainier. Really hope that's not the case, would love to get a tour in with the boys over thanksgiving.

No, not sure. Might have jumped the gun.

Looking again at telemetry, the 'total snow' column went from 2" to 11", but the precip held steady during that time. Maybe a skiff of snow pulled a bit of brush into view of the sensor. Meh

The Chinook telemetry is notoriously unreliable.

Wish I could make Friday. Have to meet aged Father off the Empire Builder train from Chicago arriving mid morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Still sounding promising for a Turkey Day weekend opening with the current forecast at the windy hill, per my insider sources.
    So what are your sources, Mr. Squirrel and Mr. Rabbit saying about the forecast? Did Brother Bruin already go down for his winter nap? Had a black bear in my backyard a few weeks ago. Last thing I was expecting while looking out the window.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Faceslam says they fired em up.
    Hmmm, all one of 'em fired up? Shouldn't take too long to get a few hundred square feet open by Turkey day.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Any Methow Valley mags have any idea on coverage around Washington/Rainy pass? Was thinking about heading up to the Heather/Maple/Frisco area.

Looks like somebody got their first coreshot(s) of the season

Hehe

Took a stroll around the top floor of the building next door - it looks like Pilchuck got the lion's share of Tuesday's dump (I imagine the convergence set-up strongest around there). Couldn't see Rainier, could just barely make-out Daniel & Chikamin (both absolutely blanketed in white), Baker was in the clouds to the north (telemetry shows it's still lightly snowing up there) and the Olympics are just too dang far away to be perceptable. But about a 3200' snow-level appears to be the case, with substantial snow above 4.5k between US-2 & WA-542

In other news:
    Quote Originally Posted by WSDOT
    SR 20, the North Cascades Highway, will be closing Friday, November 18th at 9:00 AM from milepost 134 to milepost 171 at the Silver Star Gate, due to impending weather and potential increasing avalanche hazard. Conditions will be reevaluated Monday morning, November 21st.
    It appears Chinook & Cayuse passes will remain open for now. Speaking of Chinook Pass, NWS Seattle shared these on their Facebook page yesterday:

Merp. Pesky highway closures.

Good beta, Pipey. Looks like my interpretation of the Chinook telemetry wasn't bullshit after all!

Still looking for a partner tomorrow... might shift to Chinook and avoid the fucking Longmire gate, especially with a couple pics to confirm schnee on the ground.

Can't swing tomorrow, Norse, but looking forward to your report to make a decision for Sat.

MRNP Road Conditions page lists a tentative 11/21 closure date for 123 & 410 - I wouldn't be disappointed to squeak some easy-access turns in before then

Heading back to heliotrope tomorrow. Will let you know what I find. If I can see anything I think it'll be decent

I'm still leaning towards Chinook for Saturday.

Bellingham Mags! Go to the Green Frog tonight to listen to my wonderful folky friends Steep Ravine. Tell Jan that Mike from Caffe Blossom says hi. It will blow his mind.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Interglacier is the best skiing Vic Rainier right now. Didn't ski atchinook, but drove up to take a look and it is skiable, but will probably find a rock or two.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Interglacier is the best skiing Vic Rainier right now.
    Good point... once you make three miles of trail, and assuming the wind hasn't been on it. Hm.

Pretty sure I was skinning in under two

Not bad.

I'd love to, but I can't go tomorrow - work is on cracked ice. I'll be out there this weekend.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yes! What a low move. The ensuing flames weren't hot enough IMO.

Here's the thread:

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing...?topic=31547.0
    Heck of a thread. As much as I disapprove of cutting the lock, I remember doing worse things at that age. I got to give them props for accomplishing a difficult climb, and don't think it was entirely due to luck that they survived it.

SNOW IN THE PNW 2016-17: Return of the Shred-i

Any Methow Valley mags have any idea on coverage around Washington/Rainy pass? Was thinking about heading up to the Heather/Maple/Frisco area.
    EDIT. Pass closed at 9:00 this AM. Maybe for the season, usually it is.

Definitely skiing at WA Pass. Check out Winthrop, WA fb page, and North Cascades Guiding page. I would skin up hairpin valley for fewer core shots.
    Not my pic:
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    EDIT. Pass closed at 9:00 this AM. Maybe for the season, usually it is.
    With out fail, as soon as the skiing starts to get really good, the highway closes. I guess Chinook it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lol lol.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	611.7 KB 
ID:	192874
    Lots of excitement about the snow at Stevens.