Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does anyone throw eggs anymore on Halloween ?

Throwing eggs was a right of passage in the 70's when I was a kid. Is this a completely lost obsolete art ?

The art wasn't throwing the eggs, it was the careful maturing of the little bombs, several weeks earlier, to hit the perfect balance of strong enough shell and completely foul contents.
    And now, with my own house and vehicles in the drive, I am very thankful such art has largely been lost. Not that I make myself a target that the younger me terrorized. I hope...

It was a big deal to look for trouble the night before. We used to call it Gate Night. Eggs, toilet paper, soap and shaving cream. I threw eggs once and still feel bad about it. HAD lots of "fun" with other stuff though. A little disappointed that there has been zero signs of mischief. Further wussification of kids these days.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

So was magic markering cars. I'm glad some traditions weren't passed down.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Throwing eggs was a right of passage in the 70's when I was a kid. Is this a completely lost obsolete art ?
    You trying to give someone salmonella poisioning? I mean in this day and age...

grew up with spliffs and eggs.... kids have moved on to vaping and gaming now

hardly see a smashed pumpkin anymore

#getoffmylawn

I was (sort of... delicately ) talking to my kids about this tonight.

We passed quite a few groups of teenagers, and yet I didn't see a single TP'd tree, egg'd house, smashed pumpkin (or mailbox!) or any other sign of a good time...

What has this holiday come to??

It's their highly structured/scheduled life. No more idle hands being the devils workshop.
    And where there is idle hands, they know enough not to waste food.

Only egged once. Mainly smash pumpkins, both carved and uncarved, at parked cars. The uncarved ones would do some damage. I'll never forget blowing out a back window of a Buick Regal with one

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I was (sort of... delicately ) talking to my kids about this tonight.

We passed quite a few groups of teenagers, and yet I didn't see a single TP'd tree, egg'd house, smashed pumpkin (or mailbox!) or any other sign of a good time...

What has this holiday come to??
    My kid self would never have hung out with kids like mine. Such straight and narrow rule followers. Not complaining, just an observation.

Grapefruit through picture windows. Still remember the time Terry Rowe (son of the football HC) fell off the back of the truck. Had to go back and get him. Damn near got caught.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

It was a kinda weird thing but the night before Halloween in the Boston area we had "Cabbage Night", no idea where the name came from but it was the night before Halloween and it was all about eggs, toilet paper, shaving cream on cars (not good for the paint), smashing pumpkins, etc etc. I don't know if they still do that but it was a big thing in the '70's.

edit: found a wiki on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischief_Night

Pulled out of my driveway to go to work this morning and saw everyone's garbage cans lining the street and thought, oh fuck, it's garbage morning the day after Halloween. I'm about to see a hundred tipped over garbage cans...

There was one. One. This trunk or treat bullshit is ruining Halloween. I felt like hopping out of my car and tipping a few over just to make up for it.

No eggs. As a car kid I knew that fucked up paint and stayed away. I teepeed quite a few houses with one ply and a garden hose though.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

No eggs and only a couple of pumpkins smashed around my parts. Miss the days growing up with chickens and a large garden. We'd start swiping eggs in early October to properly age them. Garden was good for tomatoes as well. Made for a fun cabbage night with the neighborhood hooligans.

That's all Halloween was to me and my friends in high school. The whole night would be spent driving around town throwing eggs at each other and trying to find a store that actually had more eggs for us to buy. All while trying to stay ahead of the authorities on the hunt for our juvenile asses. The rest of the school year was a bet as to who's car paint would peel off first. We were little shits.

I was talking about this with my wife last night.
    Where I grew up, it was all about firecrackers and roman candles. I remember kids having fights with them in the streets around other kids. there was always a few candy bags that caught on fire. And smoke bombs in mail slots.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Kids used to light trash cans full of leaves on fire and egg other groups of kids till the cops were called. Also some asshole I knew took a shit in someone's yard.

Hell, we barely get trick or treaters. Most that come are imports from the next town over because the few houses here give out better candy.

Trunk or treat or the downtown business trick or treating is complete bullshit and is ruining kids.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

In my town it was a few short years , maybe 13 & 14 yrs old, before you knew where the parties were, that the Haloween War was on. Never about egging an undefended house though, always nailing other gangs of hooligans. It was like a scene out of the Warriors or some ww2 close quarter combat. Town is probably 12 x 12 blocks. Perfect arena
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Where I live now is serious trick or treat zone. Very done up houses, hordes of 3-8 yr olds. Give it a few years. I am already worried about roving bands of teenagers
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Ahh. Devil's Night as we called it. Smashing pumpkins, killing hobos,egging houses and cars, toilet paper in the trees. Good innocent tween fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Ahh. Devil's Night as we called it. Smashing pumpkins, killing hobos,egging houses and cars, toilet paper in the trees. Good innocent tween fun.
    Reminds me of this SNL skit with Quentin Tarantino where he was a model train enthusiast with a PBS show. He was dressed up like an engineer and standing next to his model train layout but he kept talking about killing hobos. "Like the Hobo who dressed up like the mail man and brought mail to my house every day, I had to kill him!"

Also reminds me of that South Park episode when the kids TP a house. The owner is all like "oh, kids will be kids" and cleans it up but Kyle keeps imagining the family as completely terrorized by it. At one point he's like "nobody said anything about no kids man!"

I shoulda taken the opportunity to unload some extra eggs Sunday night. D;oh. Our chickens are producing more than we can get rid of. I was too busy watching the game.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Heh. Was talking with Ms TBS about this last night

My earliest memories of Halloween were not of trick or treating, but of launching eggs and water balloons from a perch on the west slope of Rocky Butte in The Whitest City in America

Nowadays, the deer destroy the carved pumpkins in our neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Heh. Was talking with Ms TBS about this last night

My earliest memories of Halloween were not of trick or treating, but of launching eggs and water balloons from a perch on the west slope of Rocky Butte in The Whitest City in America

Nowadays, the deer destroy the carved pumpkins in our neighborhood
    The whitest deer in America.