Tell me about fly fishing in Iceland

Last spring, my wife and I fished Ireland. Now, we are setting our sights on Iceland. Has anybody fished there? Any beta on must do or must avoid places, etc, as well as recommended guide outfits are appreciated.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Salmon, browns, and char.

I have a friend here. Good luck getting a spot.

https://www.midfjardara.is/

And don't forget to take the plastic off your cork if you're using a silk line. The plastic is unbecoming.

Why not Email, Steve :
    http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk
    Tell him a good customer of his and a friend of yours suggested getting in touch. He might share with you some of the spots he goes and what flies work. Put in a small order, he might be more forthcoming? He goes every year and has some fabulous photos of really nice wild Browns and char. Beautiful country, I was there in 2000 (short trip and no time for troots unfortunately, have a great time, I'm envious)
    Gone fishing

Sweet. Thanks!

-Scottish Proverb

Note, I'm not a fishing guy. But there does not seem to be a ton of action. So Here are a few possibly useful observations.

It can be expensive. Britain style as I understand it. At least some places cost as much as a heli day.

I bumped into some Germans in a coffee shop in Reykjavik last spring. They'd focused on salt water and caught some crazy fish of many varieties - we saw many pics. So maybe blend fresh and salt?

The seasons do not line up perfectly, but maybe see if you could book a late season corn trip with Arctic Heli and fish the farm when not skiing? (note: I have no idea what is possible, what they'd be cool with, or if any rules apply). They likely know the fishing scene in general... You could maybe even tack on some salt water out of Dalvik or Siglufjordur (this is pure speculation).

Remember - from mid-May onward, there is essentially no night.

If you do not find better fishing specific connections, contact geotravel.is. AFAIK, they do not do fishing trips. But Anton who owns it is a really good guy & seems dialed into all things nature & outdoors related.

Thanks, again.

I should mention that we are looking to do freshwater, targeting browns and char. I comprehend that there some weird permitting considerations and most of the land is privately owned (thus, fees).

My wife and I are looking to go in late May. That is when we were in Ireland last year. I realize that this, to some extent, marks the beginning of the freshwater season

-Scottish Proverb

Update:

After meeting a few guys from this outfit, discussing my trip's logistics, and hearing a few good reviews, I booked my trip with:

http://www.icelandfishingguide.com/

-Scottish Proverb

I would try and line up someone for Lake Thingvellir in the national park....huge browns but I really don't know about your timing. I fished for char on just a day trip(only there for four days) and hate to say it but the San Juan close to my place in Bayfield CO is much better except for the crowds. Much of Iceland is private water and VERY $$$$ especially for Salmon.

I found the sightseeing much better than the fishing.

Good luck man, we are planning a trip to backpack and fish browns there in August. Have a buddy we met back last year when we were out there and he took us around southwest peninsula. Found some cool lakes we will go back to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Thanks, again.

I should mention that we are looking to do freshwater, targeting browns and char. I comprehend that there some weird permitting considerations and most of the land is privately owned (thus, fees).

My wife and I are looking to go in late May. That is when we were in Ireland last year. I realize that this, to some extent, marks the beginning of the freshwater season
    did you have a good experience with these guys? I'm going for a week in September. My non-angling wife is on the trip, so I won't be fishing much, but she has always exhibited patience enough for me to fish a day or 2 on "non-angling" trips.

I cannot say enough about our experience with Iceland Fishing Guide. We had a great trip (I posted a TR about it). Many artic char were caught on a near isolated river. Matti will take care of you

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    I cannot say enough about our experience with Iceland Fishing Guide. We had a great trip (I posted a TR about it). Many artic char were caught on a near isolated river. Matti will take care of you
    thanks. I'll contact them.