What to do with my Nomad?

My 2011 Santa Cruz Nomad C developed cracks at the pivot inserts, as with many of that generation of SC frames. It was just out of (5 year) warranty, but SC and my shop helped me into a new Bronson CC XT, which I'm of course loving. However I still have my Nomad, which other than for the cracks, is a high end (Fox34, SRAM X9, XT Brakes, Stans Flow, DT Swiss, Chris King etc), well used but well maintained, 26" bike. What to do with it? Carbon repair? Build up a hardtail? Sell as is? Part it out? Open to suggestions and offers.

What to do with my Nomad?

They might hook you up with a cheap crash replacement? Call them and see what they say. Or better yet, work through your shop.

Build up a 29er hardtail. Get a Canfield Yelli / Kona Honzo / whatever frame. re-lace wheels with 29er rims. Reduce travel on the fork a bit. The whole deal ought to be fairly affordable, and a hardtail like that is fun to have in the quiver.

sell it on pinkbike?
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    My 2011 Santa Cruz Nomad C developed cracks at the pivot inserts, as with many of that generation of SC frames. It was just out of (5 year) warranty, but SC and my shop helped me into a new Bronson CC XT, which I'm of course loving. However I still have my Nomad, which other than for the cracks, is a high end (Fox34, SRAM X9, XT Brakes, Stans Flow, DT Swiss, Chris King etc), well used but well maintained, 26" bike. What to do with it? Carbon repair? Build up a hardtail? Sell as is? Part it out? Open to suggestions and offers.
    There's still a few 26" hardtail frames on the market, check out NS Bikes. Universal Cycles offers them with a 15% off code VIP15.

On One frames can be had for cheap and still have some for 26" wheels. Inbred 26er for £144. I think the carbon evo 456 is a 26er as well. They aren't super light but are good quality for the price.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/frames/mountain-bike-frames

Retire it and see if you can get a deal on a crash replacement. I had the same thing going on with mine and it wasn't too long after that the downtube cracked. Same thing happened with my buddies first get C Bronsen as well...

Might be too old to get replacement, my kid has the latest verion large nomad for sale, lives in peeg
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Build up a 29er hardtail, re-lace wheels with 29er rims. Reduce travel on the fork a bit. The whole deal ought to be fairly affordable, and a hardtail like that is fun to have in the quiver.
    How do you change a 26" fork into a 29" fork?

Go jump off some roof tops and beat the shit out of that thing.......have fun.

The sound of catastrophic carbon failure is really pretty neat. So crisp, so sharp......rings out in the cool clean autumn air with absolute brilliance.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    How do you change a 26" fork into a 29" fork?
    Like anything that's worth doing; with elbow grease and swearing.

You should consider giving it to me. I can pick up locally... and I can offer you all the weird shit on trade that the PinkBike community would .. such as; an easton hockey stick (cut too short), and an old x-box with games... (these are actual offers I have received for bikes listed on the site.)

If you can find a hardtail frame that will accept the majority of your parts , that's your best bet. Even if you just turn around and sell it. lots of cheap HT frames out there.

Otherwise, I would just part it out.... Although, the tire kickers on PB drive me crazy some times .

But seriously .. I can pick it up this week. Trade for Bourbon?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Like anything that's worth doing; with elbow grease and swearing.
    Building a new wheels set (including rubber) and buying a new fork, to go with the new HT frame is not an affordable option. Would be cheaper to just buy a brand new HT 29er.

Especially when you consider that not all the parts will swap over, and new bikes come with fresh drivetrains and brake pads.

Carbon repair and just keep riding the shatt out of it! Its still a solid rain/mud bike Also with how cheap 26" forks have been...you can repair it and build it as a more park oriented bike! Coil rear and a nice 180 up front.

id call SC and see what they say, my '10 alum version cracked and they did not have a front triangle to sell me. i tried to sell but it just was not worth much so a buddy has been riding it for ~ 4 years and examining the crack when he thinks about it (not often). i get on it every now and then, it felt fine to ride when i moved on from it but now i'm spoiled from my bronson :-). In the end if you have a buddy that understands the risks of frame failure and is getting into biking it's not a bad way to go.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Sounds like SC has already come through for him .... "It was just out of (5 year) warranty, but SC and my shop helped me into a new Bronson CC "

My offer of Bourbon still stands. But I am going through the bottle pretty quickly now that FL has jumped up.

Traded the (still rideable) Nomad frame to a friend for a six pack. Hunting for a small hardtail frame to build up for my nephew.