Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I always come out of my dynafit unless I crank in one extra DIN (like) not having the ability to do so sets up a red flag for me

i would just take the 180 gram hit and buy the speed turn for much less $$
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Salomon Mtn tech "Pin" binding

Isn't it a 40g hit? Aren't the speeds 350g?

They should have licensed the ATK RT model instead (with accessories). Now thats a sexy lightweight binding.

^ 342g I guess.

Ya not sure what the appeal is here unless you get a proform for Salomon. Also not sure why every fucking company has to rebrand either Dynafit/ATK bindings. Can't we just buy them from the fucking mfr?

Cheaper and easier for them to license to say they have a full product line versus actually R&D'ing something new for the brand.

and no adjustable RV? Steel or aluminum toe wings? (didn't the gen 1 alu plum guides have some failures?). I'll take speed turns for $300, Alex!

upspend for the radicals for better toes

I like the direction Salomon is going I was just hoping for something more. Weird they don't give USA shops the ability to purchase this without the brake. Where is the loss for the company on an existing product?

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I'm assuming the boot is a 27.5?

Are you running the "Expert" spring? If so, could you put it on a tester and see what sort of upward release value you get?
    Yah 27.5. I'll get hold of a tester for the RV

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Isn't it a 40g hit? Aren't the speeds 350g?

They should have licensed the ATK RT model instead (with accessories). Now thats a sexy lightweight binding.
    According to prices and specs on the MEC site which is canadian $ of course but the numbers are relative :

740 and 389$ for the speed turns
    565 and 699$ for the solly mtn tech
    350 and 579$ for the speed lites

so in addition to giving up weight & money you also give up changable release values and the ability to adj for different boots and that would be for any minimalist brand of tech binding which are pretty much all the same more or less maybe underline less?

So THE LARGER QUESTION in my mind is why did salomon choose the minimalist entry point to enter the tech binding market

some people who had their scarpas recalled last season might have wished they bought a binding that can adj to BSL

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    and no adjustable RV? Steel or aluminum toe wings? (didn't the gen 1 alu plum guides have some failures?). I'll take speed turns for $300, Alex!
    Rv adjustable via a spring in the heel. Mine are "expert" which is apparently approx 11 but I'll try to get it on a machine to test.

Toe pins are steel. Magnets stick. EDIT - Wings are alloy though. Trying to find out what type of alloy and what testing was done on the toe winds
    Last edited by LeeLau; 10-31-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    According to prices and specs on the MEC site which is canadian $ of course but the numbers are relative :

740 and 389$ for the speed turns
    565 and 699$ for the solly mtn tech
    350 and 579$ for the speed lites

so in addition to giving up weight & money you also give up changable release values and the ability to adj for different boots and that would be for any minimalist brand of tech binding which are pretty much all the same more or less maybe underline less?

So THE LARGER QUESTION in my mind is why did salomon choose the minimalist entry point to enter the tech binding market

some people who had their scarpas recalled last season might have wished they bought a binding that can adj to BSL
    It wasn't my intent to do a binding shootout. But i did want to go between 297 to 311 mm bsl. The Speed turns are 13mm iirc? I think that barely does it for me.

That 565g for the Salomon was a bit understated and probably without leashes. See real world weight in the pics.

Brake versions out for next season fyi

Keep the questions coming. If I don't know I'll accumulate and get answers from Amer

Personaly I like a full service binding with the brakes and all

Everything gets compared but I'm more speaking to how far one wants to jump on the minimalism wagon and what it costs?

That price speaks to weight/money/adjustabilty and in conjunction with adjustability one could argue safety, so yeah I did compare 3 bindings but notice I wasn't really comparing the bindings I was comparing what they did
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-27-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Thought from the pictures the bindings were adjustable on a track with a rear worm screw.
    Last edited by cat in january; 10-28-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Thanks, was just reading too fast and saw xxx-er comment about adjusting to different boots

........So THE LARGER QUESTION in my mind is why did salomon choose the minimalist entry point to enter the tech binding market......
    I'd take a guess that it was because the Rad 2/Vipec/Ion competitor they were working on couldn't get through the din certification.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Thought from the pictures the bindings were adjustable on a track with a rear worm screw.
    They are. 30mm adjustment as originally stated.

It would be interesting to see if this new pin binding shares some of the same holes as the kingpins. I have kingpin inserts in my touring skis, and may have the opportunity to swap this in as a lighter weight option.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I'd take a guess that it was because the Rad 2/Vipec/Ion competitor they were working on couldn't get through the din certification.
    Because Greg Hill.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

that^^ could be,

also touring is huge in yurp and the $ numbers for BC gear in the N.A. market amounts to what gets sold in one euro country so start with what will sell in the EU?

Would love to see some rocker pics of those MTN Explore 88's when you get a chance, Lee. I've read they have a bit less tip and a bit more tail rocker than the 95's, but I haven't seen them in person to see what that actually looks like.

As for this binding, I like it. Seems to have all of what I personally use and none of what I don't. Like that you can just flip the risers over the pins for a quick climb. That kind of little thing adds up on the big days, I find.

Quote Originally Posted by m-ruta View Post
    As for this binding, I like it. Seems to have all of what I personally use and none of what I don't.
    I agree.

Besides the flat mode. What does this have that the lighter bindings (ie Superlite) don't? I'm not seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Besides the flat mode. What does this have that the lighter bindings (ie Superlite) don't? I'm not seeing it.
    A high heel riser (super lite high riser is about equivalent to speed radical low riser) and BSL adjustment

How much higher is the Salomon riser? Doesn't look that much.

I didn't measure it, but it looks like another 7-8mm in "high" mode. Plus the huge BSL adjustment range will work for all my tech boots, which range from 288mm to 306mm. Plus upward release adjustability via changing the U pins - if it really is ~11 with the Expert spring, as Lou Dawson says, that's an improvement over the SSL.

Quote Originally Posted by m-ruta View Post
    As for this binding, I like it. Seems to have all of what I personally use and none of what I don't. Like that you can just flip the risers over the pins for a quick climb. That kind of little thing adds up on the big days, I find.
    Agreed. The other bindings I've been looking at with similar functionality are the ATM Raider 12 2.0. Take the brakes off and they should be about 280g, and you don't need to swap out springs to adjust release setting

Don't the Raiders have Al toe wings? I like steel, personally...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos