Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1x10!!

1x10!!

If you have a 3x crank you could throw a 28 absolute black on the granny. I run that and a 36 on my 26" bike. For long climbs I manually drop down to the 28. Everything else I run with the 36. You could do 32/28 and you'd rarely swap. I find it worth the effort to swap on the 1 hour+ climbs to feel fresher at the top. Way happier with that over the other single setups I've tried (30, 32, 34). I run 36 because I hit the bike park a lot and its nice to have for sprinting into a jump if you lose speed. If I was only on trail rides, a 32 or 34 would be fine. Why not go 2x? Way quieter, no adjusting, less weight, less chain drops (with NW rings), simpler managing one shifter when riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    If you have a 3x crank you could throw a 28 absolute black on the granny. I run that and a 36 on my 26" bike. For long climbs I manually drop down to the 28. Everything else I run with the 36. You could do 32/28 and you'd rarely swap. I find it worth the effort to swap on the 1 hour+ climbs to feel fresher at the top. Way happier with that over the other single setups I've tried (30, 32, 34). I run 36 because I hit the bike park a lot and its nice to have for sprinting into a jump if you lose speed. If I was only on trail rides, a 32 or 34 would be fine. Why not go 2x? Way quieter, no adjusting, less weight, less chain drops (with NW rings), simpler managing one shifter when riding.
    Have you considered running a 45T or 50T rear? if you are looking for the gear range, that may be an option for you. (although it sounds like you got things figured out)
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    If you have a 3x crank you could throw a 28 absolute black on the granny.
    That's an interesting idea. It is a 3x crank. I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks for the suggestion, Lindahl.

Seth

Are you using a medium or long cage derailleur?

Medium cage. Still no problems after an additional 12ish rides. Shifting is good, power transfer is good. I'm getting used to the gearing and don't think I would go back. Seems to be a great upgrade for the money.

bumping this up because OneUp is having their anniversary sale for the next week if you want some 1x10 or 1x11 goodies. Use code GET_ONEUP_NOW for 20% off everything. Just ordered a new oval ring for myself and then also sent me a referral link.. you get $10 off, I get $10 off. Not sure if it's stackable. http://oneupcomponents.refr.cc/WJQSH8M

I was thinking about this thread on my ride yesterday. I had read previously that some found the oval rings to make it easier to "grind" up climbs. Yesterday, I think I finally experienced this. Our ride yesterday included some steeper climbs, and I was struggling a bit. Determined not to let the guy on the fat bike out climb me, I got out of the saddle on one of the climbs and found a "sweet spot" where I was able to keep the cranks turning at a very low cadence. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep the cranks turning if it weren't for the smaller section of the oval at the weak part of my pedal stroke. Traction was great all the way around, and it reminded me that AB markets their chainrings as "traction" chainrings. When running a circular chainring, I think I may choose gearing more for the weak part of my pedal stroke, which means that the strong part of the stroke may have enough torque to spin the rear wheel on a loose or steep climb.

I have been glad that I upgraded to 1x, but have been unsure whether the oval chainring was much of a benefit until yesterday. I *think* that I'm experiencing less bob, but this was the first time that I really felt the benefit of the oval - in the ability to grind up the climb with better traction.

Seth