Page 237 of 247 FirstFirst ... 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 6174
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    no adaptors, totally off.
    IME brakes always seem to be mounted with some washers/adapters, I think its designed this way so you can space the caliper out as needed cuz you can't space it in
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Finishing up a ride the other night in a City open space park I come around a corner and come face to face with a Honda 110 or 150 sized dirt bike on the trail. Guy just goes off trail around me and continues on.

Get back to the trailhead 15 min later and there's a car parked right there in the lot with an empty moto rack on it.

Takes some balls or lack of brain cells to stage right from the trailhead parking lot.
    Attachment 489176

Pull his hitch pin and clip, he won't notice until he gets up top speed on the main road.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Did you have a schraeder core tool, by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Pull his hitch pin and clip, he won't notice until he gets up top speed on the main road.
    Evil, but I like it.

Didn't have a shraeder valve core tool unfortunately. I pared back my tool kit and since valve caps have presta core removers built in I removed my double sided core remover. Otherwise dude would have had 4 flats.

Years ago I had a summer job in Boulder. On my first night in town I went to the end of some random street and went up a tail. Hours later, came riding out a much more major trail to be stopped by a ranger who told me you couldn’t ride there. She was cool not to blast me. Maybe the Moto guy didn’t know better?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Years ago I had a summer job in Boulder. On my first night in town I went to the end of some random street and went up a tail. Hours later, came riding out a much more major trail to be stopped by a ranger who told me you couldn’t ride there. She was cool not to blast me. Maybe the Moto guy didn’t know better?
    If it was an ebike or even an e-moto I might give the guy the benefit of the doubt, since they all seem delusional that the motors in their bikes don't actually constitute...motors.

But riding after dark into an area that is clearly marked "No motorized vehicles" and "No offroad activity" and is a park in the middle of the city. I think this guy knew exactly what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Something about your bedding in process, installation, etc is off for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Extra washer / spacer on your mounting bracket?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Looks about 10mm off. Any chance that's a 160 rotor with 180 mounting?
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's my guess. Conical washers under the caliper?

Fork is a Lyric which is a 180mm post mount, caliper was mounted directly to the fork post mounts. Same issue in the rear, I confirmed both rotors were 180mm rotors.

Install was double checked, nothing wrong about it. I am very curious what caused this, so open to any discussion/ criticism.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Here are some installed pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231211_125402_01.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	489686

Name:	IMG_20231211_125409_01.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	489687
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

It could be a need to face the mounting surface on the fork, could be slightly off.
    Can you shoot a pic down to see the contact on the pads at all?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    It could be a need to face the mounting surface on the fork, could be slightly off.
    Can you shoot a pic down to see the contact on the pads at all?
    I have since removed the brakes, but the new Dominions line up perfectly.

I would also hesitate to blame facing as both F+R seem off by the same amount.

You're using the same rotors with the Dominions? Something definitely off there both front and rear, there should not be that ~1.5mm line. If the Dominions cover the same rotors properly, it's got to be something goofy with those calipers.

Edit:
    Take a look at the alignment of the caliper relative to the rotor in this photo on the SRAM website:
    https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/db-code-ult-c1
    My guess is you got 160mm rotors mislabeled as 180s.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    You're using the same rotors with the Dominions? Something definitely off there both front and rear, there should not be that ~1.5mm line. If the Dominions cover the same rotors properly, it's got to be something goofy with those calipers.
    I am using Hayes rotors and adapters with the dominions.

I think that's just how the calipers hit HS2 rotors. I think those rotors just have extra meat on them for cooling. Yours look about the same as the ones in the Pinkbike review: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...s2-rotors.html

Is the rotor hitting the full pad? Is there a portion of the pad hanging over the top of the rotor? If not, I think it's fine.

I’ll look at one of our bikes later and add another data point. Also has codes with HS2s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That's how the Lady's HS2 Rotors look. Just swapped the old rotors out with no other adjustments. The HS2s have more material on the inner diameter, and also a tiny bit more on the outer, just 1mm or less there.

You can see the 200 rotor (front) goes past the edge of the pad a bit. Also note these are custom sized spacers I ground just because I like using the conical washers and I was out of the right size. This setup initially had the old SRAM Centerline Rotors. Looks like the 180 post mount rear does not go all the way past the edge of the pads. These are also G2 calipers so the pads are smaller than Code pads.

Haven't put my HS2 Rotors on my Code equipped bike yet but might today.

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	982.0 KB 
ID:	489708

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1,012.1 KB 
ID:	489709
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Im not sure I am seeing what is wrong? is the pad above the rotor?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

The bigger question is what the pads look like. If they are wearing with a lip on top of the pad, something is wrong, if the pads are flat, then you’re good.
    I have the same setup on my bike and my rotor looks the same. Pads are normal.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Interesting, seeing as it seems to be "normal" I will now give my full review:

These brakes are awful. They were obnoxiously in your face loud, a full chorus of brake warbling brake sounds, I figured there HAD to be something wrong with them. They also have little to no power, even locking up the rear brake took some effort, luckily after about 60% power the sounds let you know exactly how much pull you had before lock up. They also seemed to suffer from more brake fade than they should, and I haven't ridden them outside Moab which isn't a particularly brake-fadey place.

On a related note I have a like new set of whatever these are for sale, great shape! 5 rides or so.

I have never ridden a sram brake product that I didn’t actively dislike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    The bigger question is what the pads look like. If they are wearing with a lip on top of the pad, something is wrong, if the pads are flat, then you’re good.
    I have the same setup on my bike and my rotor looks the same. Pads are normal.
    If the pads look like the attached photos, there is a problem, but SRAM already knows about it. Even World Cup mechanics with SRAM factory support complain about this issue. (Brad Copeland on Kate Courtneys bikes)
    My friends Scott bike does this to her Level pads, they are mounted to the frame without any adapters. If I was to face the disc mounts the depth of the lips, the pads would contact the disc too low. There is no fix other than filling down the lips every time I service that bike.

It's super dangerous situation. The SRAM pads have 2mm of braking material, and the discs are 1.8mm. So if they develop this lip, and he pads wear beyond 45% (1.1mm each) , the two lips (0.9mm + 0.9mm) can make contact with each other and prevent the warm part of the pads from contacting the disc. Thus not stopping you.

Name:	5E57FCA7-A1AE-4B54-B83E-24C5BF54EA69.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	533.4 KB 
ID:	489740

Name:	6ABD68C6-0638-4699-9CD5-B16C84782C9A.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	489741

These brakes are awful. They were obnoxiously in your face loud, a full chorus of brake warbling brake sounds, I figured there HAD to be something wrong with them. They also have little to no power, even locking up the rear brake took some effort, luckily after about 60% power the sounds let you know exactly how much pull you had before lock up. They also seemed to suffer from more brake fade than they should, and I haven't ridden them outside Moab which isn't a particularly brake-fadey place.

On a related note I have a like new set of whatever these are for sale, great shape! 5 rides or so.
    Loud brakes + no power almost certainly means you have oil on your pads.

Which brakes are they? Big difference between Code R and Code RSC. The swing link adds a lot power by changing the leverage ratio through the lever stroke.

Did you bed in the new rotor properly? Moab might not do it with lack of sustained descents.

Anyway the pads overhang problem is kinda shit.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 03-08-2024 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Loud brakes + no power almost certainly means you have oil on your pads.
    Zero chance of this, I am somewhat anal about brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Which brakes are they?
    Code ULT.

I did the standard 10 sprint to walking pace stops on a street in the neighborhood bed in

You're using one of the most common brakes on the market, and you're having problems that no one else has. Something's up.

Code ULT.

I did the standard 10 sprint to walking pace stops on a street in the neighborhood bed in
    Hmmm those are top of the line and bedding sounds adequate. I have no experience with the stealth levers but they should be fine. Given the symptoms I’d still try sanding the pads and rotors and try bedding again. Maybe a long shot but beyond that I’ve got nothing.

We’ve switched to MTX pads and they’re vastly superior to SRAM, cheaper too. Still though, shouldn’t need them, those brakes should work.

Ridge on the pads is a huge red flag. I stand by my guess that something is wrong with the mount tabs on the brakes themselves, or the rotors were mislabeled with the wrong diameter, since it's unlikely that both the fork and frame would be off by the same amount (and be from separate MFGs).