Page 241 of 247 FirstFirst ... 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,025 of 6174
    The AXS dropper is awesome, probably my favorite part of all the AXS components, mainly due to the "lever" having such good ergonomics where all you have to do is barely push it to use it. The bleed port part of it is very handy as well if it does develop sag (which the one I had for two years only developed maybe twice).

I'm not a fan of the transmission, mostly because I don't like how slow it shifts. Sure, you get used to it and maaaaaybe I should learn to be in better spots with my gearing, but honestly after recently racing a lot of XC, there's always situations where you don't know the course and are simply to involved/tired/etc to shift as good as you should. Shimano just shifts so dang well under load, and also really never needs adjustment (I moved the barrel adjust on my XTR last summer maybe one whole turn) that I see no reason to switch. Also managing a bike shop, Shimano is just less hassle on lower end builds so I've gravitated towards that.

That said, I do like that AXS exists, mostly because I'm a sucker for cool technology being around. I'm a guy who oddly likes the bike industry changing things up a lot, just for the simple fact that I can nerd out on it, even if I don't use whatever it is. When I had AXS, luckily I'm the type of person that is good at remembering to keep things charged and also having chargers in both cars as well as my bike gear bag.

LBS could not remove my caliper bolt. Titanium bolt with factory Loctite. Which apparently is not supposed to have Loctite.

So claim submitted to SC. Rear triangle was offered and they stated that they don't use Loctite. But the bolts they provided were covered in Loctite! Of course, I have no proof of that except it looks like a factory job and the lbs guys even said so as well. Now I'm asking for labor to swap the triangle out. If they agree I'll be happy, but this is quite annoying for a high end build that I just bought in July.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    LBS could not remove my caliper bolt. Titanium bolt with factory Loctite. Which apparently is not supposed to have Loctite.

So claim submitted to SC. Rear triangle was offered and they stated that they don't use Loctite. But the bolts they provided were covered in Loctite! Of course, I have no proof of that except it looks like a factory job and the lbs guys even said so as well. Now I'm asking for labor to swap the triangle out. If they agree I'll be happy, but this is quite annoying for a high end build that I just bought in July.
    Yeah, that's definitely on them.
    1st: Titanium caliper bolts? Really?
    2nd: Loctite on any caliper bolt, especially titanium?

These aren't rotor bolts that rarely get removed. Caliper bolts get removed every bleed, every adjustment.
    Just screams WHY?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely on them.
    1st: Titanium caliper bolts? Really?
    2nd: Loctite on any caliper bolt, especially titanium?

These aren't rotor bolts that rarely get removed. Caliper bolts get removed every bleed, every adjustment.
    Just screams WHY?!
    The high end sram stuff comes stock with ti bolts. And as best I can remember, every sram caliper bolt I've ever seen comes with some sort of thread lock applied from the factory. As I recall, same goes for shimano.

I am not sure of the current model, but XTR race brakes used to come with titanium caliper mounting hardware with a thread lock compound pre-applied.

Every brake caliper mounting bolt from any of the main manufacturers comes with a thread locker pre-applied. That applies to the hardware that comes with adapters as well.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The high end sram stuff comes stock with ti bolts. And as best I can remember, every sram caliper bolt I've ever seen comes with some sort of thread lock applied from the factory. As I recall, same goes for shimano.
    I have new XTRs - no locktite. Shimano has always used alternate ways of securing caliper bolts, from lock wires to those plastic clips. Maybe Shimano does use a locktite but if so, it's a very light one. The bolts thread in pretty easily.
    I stand by my comment on using ti bolts there. Titanium simply galls and stretches way too easily for a situation that requires frequent reuse or high torque. That's even a worse use than in stems or rotors (which is utterly stupid and pointless).

As for jackstraw's issue, It's most likely not a locktite issue. Even red locktite won't seize that completely. Something had to have totally buggered the threads there. If they are ti bolts, they could easily have been over-torqued which can stretch the threads, causing the seizure.

Personally, I want the strongest bolt I can get for this application. I don't even like stainless here. Just good solid steel.

Adaptors? Sure use locktite blue. They are set & forget.

I have new XTRs - no locktite. Shimano has always used alternate ways of securing caliper bolts, from lock wires to those plastic clips. Maybe Shimano does use a locktite but if so, it's a very light one. The bolts thread in pretty easily.
    I stand by my comment on using ti bolts there. Titanium simply galls and stretches way too easily for a situation that requires frequent reuse or high torque. That's even a worse use than in stems or rotors (which is utterly stupid and pointless).

As for jackstraw's issue, It's most likely not a locktite issue. Even red locktite won't seize that completely. Something had to have totally buggered the threads there. If they are ti bolts, they could easily have been over-torqued which can stretch the threads, causing the seizure.

Personally, I want the strongest bolt I can get for this application. I don't even like stainless here. Just good solid steel.

Adaptors? Sure use locktite blue. They are set & forget.
    I'm not sure why you're frequently loosening and re-tightening your calipers to high torque. But by all means, do whatever works for you.

And for the record, all of that crap that shimano uses / used to retain bolts is a pain in the ass. Lock wires, plastic clips, the triangular rotor bolts with the little bendy steel washers. All of that can fuck right off. Every single other company seems to be able to keep their bolts in place just fine without all that bullshit.

I've been using Ti bolts with either Loctite Blue or Ti Prep for years in all of those areas and never had issues. I have however had issues with steel (rusts within a week here), rounding out heads, and even had 1 steel stem bolt snap while using a torque wrench. Saddle clamp bolts are another location where Ti is far better than steel, which corrodes and seizes from water & sweat. So every bike of mine gets the same Ti hardware carried over from the last one, and the crappy steel put back on when the old one gets sold.

The lbs got it this far out. Seems like the threads are fucked if it moved this far and not going further? I need to cut the bolt off to get the disc adapter off and hoping the lbs has a bolt.

SC is not budging on the labor. They offered schwag...wtf. Lbs told me only Specialized covers labor on warranty issues...for bikes they sell. Yeah Specialized!

My new XT 4 piston came with a small dab of Loctite on the bolts.

Those should have had a conical washer on top.
    Anytime a caliper adapter is used to account for a larger rotor, it changes the angle that the bolt heads sit on the adapter, thus the need for a the conical washer.

See this crude drawing for an understanding of how the bolt head does not line up with the plane of the adapter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 15.15.24.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	341.4 KB 
ID:	492285

I've always cursed those conical washers when I pull a caliper but it's good to hear they have a purpose.

Jackstraw it sounds stupid but have you tried some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench? Let that work for a day and maybe it'll help?

That is cool to know! Question though, how come some companies like shimano use them, where as my Hayes and Magura adapters come with just normal looking washers? Thanks!

QUOTE=Dee Hubbs;7058749]Those should have had a conical washer on top.
    Anytime a caliper adapter is used to account for a larger rotor, it changes the angle that the bolt heads sit on the adapter, thus the need for a the conical washer.

See this crude drawing for an understanding of how the bolt head does not line up with the plane of the adapter.

ID:	492285[/QUOTE]

Maybe an optical illusion but that bolt looks bent. That'd cause a lot of friction unthreading it, if that were the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post

I was wondering why the front has those and the rear does not. I checked my other bikes and none of the rear has that washer, but the fronts do. ??

Tried one more time to get the bolt out. Nope. What a pia. Not happy dealing with this bs on a new bike. I don't even know who to blame! The lbs who put it together, SRAM, or SC! But I'm the one getting screwed! ...oh well. I've got weed and beer and another bike to make me smile.

I'm not sure why you're frequently loosening and re-tightening your calipers to high torque. But by all means, do whatever works for you.
    Every time you adjust or bleed your brakes, as well as any fork servicing, you loosen and retighten caliper bolts and yes, they are one of the higher torqued bolts on your bike.

And for the record, all of that crap that shimano uses / used to retain bolts is a pain in the ass. Lock wires, plastic clips, the triangular rotor bolts with the little bendy steel washers. All of that can fuck right off. Every single other company seems to be able to keep their bolts in place just fine without all that bullshit.
    I agree completely. I've never used them because they're simply silly and unnecessary. If you properly torque your bolts, all that stuff, including a slathering of locktite, isn't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post

What he said.
    If that was from the factory, there's your culprit.

Yeah Specialized!]
    Fuck specialized

Fuck specialized
    Name:  hesright.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  24.5 KB

Well, right now I'm saying fuck PON! If this was an Epic I wouldn't be shelling out any money or using my time to deal with this shit! So specialsauce wins this debate

Do those conical washers just self align the correct orientation? I was changing brakes today and noticed them, but it seemed like you couldn’t really make them stay in the “right” direction, but they look pretty much right after tightening.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Do those conical washers just self align the correct orientation? I was changing brakes today and noticed them, but it seemed like you couldn’t really make them stay in the “right” direction, but they look pretty much right after tightening.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yes. The beauty of them is they don't require any alignment, they will self align.

A couple things...

1. Shimano does use thread locker on caliper bolts. Yes, they also have stupid wire holes and plastic clip things.

2. As stated, the reason that was stuck was improper installation. It definitely was missing hardware and being inserted too far because of it... likely passed the threaded portion of the frame.

3. Those are not titanium bolts, they are Rainbow Stainless bolts.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-28 195638.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	492332
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Well, right now I'm saying fuck PON! If this was an Epic I wouldn't be shelling out any money or using my time to deal with this shit! So specialsauce wins this debate
    I've had two Special Ed ebike motors replaced under warranty. Both outside of their warranty dates. One by 2 weeks and one by several months, but they still covered 'em. And they covered labor and new mounting hardware. My understanding is that labor sucks ballz on those motor swaps, so I was feeling well supported by the big S. So yea, Fuck Specialized, but also fuck most companies big and small that don't default to doing the right thing to back up their premium products. I've seen it with big brands but way more often I've seen it with the boutique Fanboi brands. They're businesses.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I hate ride wraps. I got a matte one for my new bike and it looks like shit. Peeling it off everywhere except the bottom of the downtube and inside of the chainstays. Bike is metal anyways I don’t know why I bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^a road bike?

Wrapping a mtn bike makes no sense to me. Then again when it comes to gear idgaf what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    I hate ride wraps. I got a matte one for my new bike and it looks like shit. Peeling it off everywhere except the bottom of the downtube and inside of the chainstays. Bike is metal anyways I don’t know why I bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that TruCoat
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.