The Future of Biological Knee Replacements

Well I have check this entire forum and I feel like a lot of people would be interested to know that back in 2008 Dr. Saw in Malaysia generated true Hyaline Cartilage using a new technique basically like a microfracture but much more detailed. For those of you who do not know what that is, it is the cartilage on the end of the femur and the tibia that rolls and slides against with the patella. The patella also has a layer of it. Here is a proven patient speaking out about it here : http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/i...?topic=66657.0

If thats not enough for you, then here is a doctor practicing it in America: http://cartilageregenerationcenter.c...tion-research/

Still not enough? Wikipedia even has it documented in here: Scroll down to Microdrilling with augmented peripheral blood cells : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knee_c...cement_therapy

Basically, the FDA will be the hardest part for this to go through in America, however, by the time the FDA is on board, the trials will hopefully have enough data for it be completely proven and widely accepted throughout the United States. For now your looking at 30K to goto Malaysia to do it.

Having read the wikipedia article I am reminded that, to paraphrase Chekhov--When a disease has many treatments you may be sure it has no cure.

Articular cartilage has a blood supply that diffuses cells from beneath it repair much like our skin, however, it does a poor job. The KEY detail here is that it is TRYING but its ability is poor. Doctors just recently found out the articular cartilage needs a little help from other elements in the body ( stem cells ) combined with hyaluronic acid creates a true regeneration.

A wise man once said "Before I made a million dollars, the most difficult part was believing i could do it."

Step into the rabbit hole of the research. There over 500 facilities in the US alone and they are spending all that money based on a hunch.

by the way, what are you selling and who are you selling it for?

I had a several ski accident that lead to having a ton of free time to research the topics of knee repair : http://freeskier.com/stories/josh-ba...untry-accident Rather than being on sidelines of ignorance, I decided to better understand my knees so I can prosper in the future.

Being a skier and skiing probably more than most of the people on this forum, I have stepped into the rabbit hole of stem cell research mainly to keep myself sane and busy to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have been on crutches for 4 months now with several more to go.

For example, I have researched biomechanics of the knee including how the medial and lateral condyle located at the end of femur bone move for skiing, the clinical trials from the early 2000s to the present on stem cells and their affect on knees specifically, I have started taking classes on Anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and I am moving onto to other topics online on certified college sites, and seeing what the general future holds for stem cell repair in America. Skiing is my life and anything and everything linked to it matters. Before you go judging someone, make sure you realize how special something is too them.

What I am selling? I am selling faith in the future of modern medicine. When you have some time, spend it and see that I am not at all selling a placebo on the fact that knee replacements will be a thing of the past in 20 years. I am happy to spend this time and research to better take care of my knees and understand them so I will be skiing the rest of my life. My injury was a reminder and a wake up call because many people will go through my injury in a degenerative way down the road and will have to endure before its too late simply because our knee cartilage is avascular and has no nerve endings to sense the fact that our knees are wearing down. I will be paying much more attention to my knee health down the road ( because I have too) and also because it is down right necessary if you are a skier.

Ouch dude. I too am interested in stem cell stuff for potential OA a few years down the line from a ski injury (close to, but not quite as gnarly as yours). Injury kept me from skiing much for several years. Rough.

Heal up, and congrats to your buddy Aaron on the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.