Monarch vs Fox DPS?

Sometime this winter I'm planning on replacing my aged RP23 on my Tallboy with a new shock. I was originally really excited about the DB Inline due to it's customizability, but due to their propensity to die very quick and expensive deaths, and the fact that you can't service them easily yourself, I think I'm going to go a different route. The shock size for the TB is 6.5" x 1.5" which makes the pool from which I can draw a little smaller (none of the other DB Air shocks are built small enough, I don't believe).

Any experience out there with the Monarch RT3 (ideally w/ Debonair can) vs. Fox DPS (does not look like you can get the 6.5" x 1.5" with EVOL)? Any other shocks that I'm missing that I should look at?

Thanks in advance,

Seth

I just went from a float ctd to a monarch debonair on a solo and have been extremely pleased. Small bump compliance and stroke support have been improved immensely. The one caveat if that even with the low compression tune and ~33% sag, I am not often using more than 80% travel. With that said, the few bottom outs have been unnoticeable, so I guess the end-stroke ramp up is doing its thing.

Both are good. For Fox stuff wasn't as good a few years ago, but I think the newest Fox Floats are a bit better than the Monarchs. Similar small bump compliance, but a bit more supportive and smoother on hard bottom outs. It's not a massive difference though, so if you get a good deal on a Monarch, they're still good shocks.

Personally I think debonair and evol cans don't work all that great on certain bikes. Short stroke bikes seem to be some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Personally I think debonair and evol cans don't work all that great on certain bikes. Short stroke bikes seem to be some of them.
    I've been reading a bit more on custom tunes. Sounds like the some believe that you need a different tune when you change the size of the air sleeve. I went from a Brain shock on my 2010 Epic a few years ago to a CTD with large sleeve and felt that it was a good change, but I didn't even ride the smaller air sleeve. Would have been interesting to try both side by side.

Seth

Larger air cans work better on certain bikes due to leverage rates. Some bikes they don't work at all. I think on a tallboy/vpp bike I see quite a few of them.

On the DPS vs Monarch plus, both are good shocks. DPS is a bit lighter and smaller if frame/waterbottle space is tight. Monarch might be a bit better in long gnarly descents.

Any idea whether money is better spent on one of these new shocks vs getting a custom tune on the RP23?

Sent an email to both Push and Avalanche. Push was wishy-washy on whether a tune would be better than buying a new shock. Avalanche, on the other hand, strongly recommended the tune and new internals. They claimed that the tunes and changes they were making on the new DPS (and Monarch RT3s) were to mimick the performance they could currently get on the RP23. The only caveat was that my RP23 may be tired or worn. I'm waiting to hear back on whether I can test for this myself.

Cost breakdown as I see it - ~$250 for either a Monarch RT3 or DPS in the size I need. ~$210 for the rebuild and new internals via Avalanche.

Any other thoughts from the collective?

Seth

I personally thought the Monarch was a much better shock then the DPS, but take that with a grain of salt. I did not get to compare the shocks on the same bike. I had a Monarch on a Pivot Mach 6 and the small bump sensitivity was amazing. I have a DPS with evol can on a Knolly Endorphin and have been less impressed. I cant tune it with less air or I bottom out but small bump compliance is not as good as I expected. Might be the difference in the frame or maybe it is the shock. I plan on trying to find a Monarch to try on the Endorphin, or try some spacers in the DPS. Others seem to be pretty happy with the DPS.

i *love* my ibis m3. it has a dps evol. sorry can't speak to personal experience on the monarch, other than a buddy has one on his ripley and it has been problematic.