Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Beacon time

New Beacon time

Time to buy a new beacon. I have this one I bought in 2007?? I do like the old one so Im thinking of staying with Mammut

Hoping to stay under 350 US dollars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LVS_Mammut_Barryvox.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	190611

Your Recommendations ?

The new Mammut Element is nice. I like this site for beacon reviews: http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...er_reviews.asp

Someone (can't remember who, maybe Ortovox?) is running a trade in program where you get 75$ off for your old beacon.

Or if you have a buddy on patrol somewhere they can usually proform a beacon a year without anyone objecting.

Thanks for the Link. All the info I could have asked for in one spot

Was waiting for a shitload of Bacon reviews

gunder is selling an unused pieps pro for $250
    give him a shout

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...49#post4830949

Freeze pro shop. Arbitrage the Brexit decimation of the pound/$usd. Just picked up two beacons from them. An ortovox 3+ and Mammut element.

Orto was $230 and Mammut $240 shipped Contus

https://www.freezeproshop.com/ortovo...5Boffset%5D:14

Link above. Looks like they're now sold out of the element

Legit shop in Edinburgh

https://www.ortovox.com/us/beacon-re...nge-promotion/

Check this out ^^ it might apply to you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Anyone got anything bad to say about Pieps DSP? What about Sport vs. Pro? I'm always a keep it simple guy and and wondering if the additional features of the Pro are valuable or not?

My buddy has the Pieps DPS sport I've futzed with a bit. Solid beacon. Easy to use. Good range. Pro version probably overkill for most of us.

I use the DSP Sport at work and for fun, and I think it performs solidly and is a great value. The extra features of the Pro don't do much for me, and KISS has always seemed like a good idea to me when thinking about emergency equipment.

Mammut Element is very nice

i gave my old original dsp to the boy and got the new sport

enough features that i don't use them all as a tourist (no pro level activities)
    solid range
    reliable
    they have always gotten 5 stars on beaconreview.com

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Anyone got anything bad to say about Pieps DSP? What about Sport vs. Pro? I'm always a keep it simple guy and and wondering if the additional features of the Pro are valuable or not?
    It Depends (TM)

IIRC the Pro adds the Scan feature (not that useful IMO), can check for frequency drift (very useful for convincing your dirtbag friends to replace their POS old beacons), and works with the dog beacon (useful for dogs and sleds). If you don't care about any of those, just get the Sport.

I really like my DSP Pro, so much so that when it was time to replace my first one, I bought another. But I think that the Ortovox 3+ and Mammut Element are great beacons too.

^^^all helpfull

I guess a better question would be if the extra features interfere with the primary functionality? I could see the signal drift feature being valuable.

^^^all helpfull

I guess a better question would be if the extra features interfere with the primary functionality? I could see the signal drift feature being valuable.
    I believe the functionality is the same. As far as frequency drift goes, my thinking has been that the (mandatory) pre-tour beacon buddy check would ID any issues. And as far as an inclinometer, I carry a little BCA (or maybe it's Life-Link) card.

^^^all helpfull

Single burial functionality is absolutely identical. The function switch (off/transmit/receive) is the same. There's one extra button on the face of the Pro. So if you're doing a multiple burial search, it's possible to push the wrong button when you're trying to mark/flag your first victim and go onto the second victim. The flag button is pretty obvious (it has a big flag on it) but it is possible to fuck up and waste a few seconds pushing the wrong button.

Just glanced at the specs - they do say the Pro has a 60m range vs a 50m range for the Sport. In the field I don't recall noticing much difference though.

Opinions on mammut/ortovox/bca for user friendliness? I've had a couple tracker models now and really like the simplicity. But planning to get the lady out for some snow shoeing and wondering if either would be a better option for her.

I would take advantage of the 75 dollar trade in but I want to keep my old one in case someone needs a loaner for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    Opinions on mammut/ortovox/bca for user friendliness? I've had a couple tracker models now and really like the simplicity. But planning to get the lady out for some snow shoeing and wondering if either would be a better option for her.
    Honestly, they're all pretty damn good these days. When I was still a shop monkey, I'd put each of the 3 antenna beacons we sold (Tracker 2, DSP Sport, Element, 3+) in a customer's hands and let them decide for themselves which one they thought was easiest to use and search with. It really was a pretty even split. I'd say the Tracker 2 has the simplest search mode switch, but the others have different styles of audio and visual indicators that many like better. I'd take her on a field trip to Bent Gate.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

Just glanced at the specs - they do say the Pro has a 60m range vs a 50m range for the Sport. In the field I don't recall noticing much difference though.
    That was the main reason I went with the Pro. No idea if it does have more range, but I'll take as much range as I can get. Also, longer battery life. Not that I try to get too much out of the batteries, but if I did space changing them out on time, I wouldn't mind a little extra wiggle room.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Honestly, they're all pretty damn good these days. When I was still a shop monkey, I'd put each of the 3 antenna beacons we sold (Tracker 2, DSP Sport, Element, 3+) in a customer's hands and let them decide for themselves which one they thought was easiest to use and search with. It really was a pretty even split. I'd say the Tracker 2 has the simplest search mode switch, but the others have different styles of audio and visual indicators that many like better. I'd take her on a field trip to Bent Gate.
    Or on a field trip out with your regular crew @homebrewd. We have everything new except the Orto 3+ I believe (plus the addition of an Arva.)

True. We gotta get the boys out for practice anyways. @adrenalated we will see you at the fobp meetings I'm sure.

Bent gate sounds like a bad idea for my wallet but she does need to see all her options so might as well let her get some hands on to see what she likes (giggity).

The DPS has a nice ergonomic shape to it. Comfortable to wear and it feels light and sturdy at the same time.

This thread was going great until you all started all the @@@@@@@@@@@@.

I'll probably just the the Pro. Like Goldenboy says, you never know when some extra range may help.

The old DSP got a lot of E22 errors when turned on anywhere near the car, and slipped out of "marked" mode easily (would revert back to strongest signal).

The Pro firmware has been reworked to get 400 hours of "send" time vs 200 for the Sport. The signal drift detection has come in handy for me, a friend's beacon was minus 90k once and I let him use my spare beacon instead of his. Personally I think those two features are worth another $100.