Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Obviously, my target market isn't anyone on TGR. I know a majority of people (and probably 99% of TGR peeps) can plan trips themselves and do it on the cheap, especially if you're camping. If you're willing to put in the time and effort to research trails in a certain area, then you can do a 3-4 day weekend trip without spending much money just about anywhere. That's what I personally do when I go ride with buddies.
    Is it because the bike viewership is small here? Because I'm surprised there's no overlap between the readership here and your customer base.

As for the OP - there's enough demand for them to price it as it is and capture the $ themselves. Instead of dirtbag cheap where the scalpers/flippers of the tickets would get the cash. basic pricing theory with some assumptions made.

...and a few other special touches.
    A special touch after a long ride is definitely worth more $$$$. As long as it's not by the guide.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Is it because the bike viewership is small here? Because I'm surprised there's no overlap between the readership here and your customer base.

As for the OP - there's enough demand for them to price it as it is and capture the $ themselves. Instead of dirtbag cheap where the scalpers/flippers of the tickets would get the cash. basic pricing theory with some assumptions made.
    I think the bike viewership here is small. Think about MTBR or PB where the viewership is larger.

From this article re the BCBR - http://www.pinkbike.com/u/leelau/blo...16-update.html

Now in its 10th year, the BC Bike Race is a high profile, multi-stage mountain bike race held over various locations in southwest BC. The BCBR commissioned an EIA in 2013. Sampled were BCBR 2013 participants. Demographics were not included for participants so that breakdown isn't available.

What is significant is survey confirmation of the anecdotal evidence that many non-biking people also travel with biking parties; a data point to which the BCBR EIA puts a number. In total for every 3 biking people in the BCBR there was 1 non biker also traveling, and in the process, also spending dollars and contributing to local economies.

Some other information was answered by Andreas Hestler of the BCBR, who also kindly provided the informal surveys the BCBR conducts of event participants. One reason the BCBR has switched to a mid-week format is that so many participants stay for days before/after the event (an average of 2.5 days before/after). A substantial number (22%) stay for 4 or more days before/after . Additionally, the BCBR participants are now increasingly international (50% are now international, whereas a few years ago, 20% were international), use extra days to travel and because they view the BCBR as a bucket-list activity, dedicate more resources (travel and time) to the event itself.

Demographics for the event participant have some variation from other EIA regions in that BCBR participants are bike nuts. The BCBR is male dominated (85%) with most being middle-aged, but having disposable income especially as dedicated to recreational pursuits (65% have household incomes of over $100,000), are event junkies (63% attend 6+ events/year) and love their bikes (92% have 4+ bikes in their homes). Many are frequent travellers and have either already been to BC to ride/visit or are planning to come back to BC to ride/visit.

The guided vs self driven adventure debate is obviously a slight deviation from the original post. But most of us seem to be looking at the adventure races as basically a variation on the guided trip with some room&board support. So it's kind of a wash. Though, it is hard to figure why an organized competition would cost MORE than private guiding. If I do a trip with Steve, I'm guessing the employee to customer ratio is way better and the minimum skill/knowledge level of each employee is better too.

I just spent a week riding on Vancouver Island. The local beta I did get definitely helped, but having a bonafide guide would have maximized my riding by a significant margin. The guys I did talk to on the Island basically just wanted me to do their favorite after work rides and had no concept of what would make a ride memorable or epic from an outsiders perspective. Locals who just point you in the right direction are also pretty consistently bad at giving important details like "oh yea, the there's an intersection on the climb that doesn't show up on the map. Make sure you don't take that seemingly obvious left turn!" and "You really don't want to be riding on these trails. The ones at the other end of the Island are way more epic and hold up better in the rain". Guides do that. And after flying across the country with bikes and driving a thousand miles and spending another thousand on cabins, the times we got lost or ended up on shitty overgrown trails were particularly frustrating.
    I've got a guided trip in Finale Ligure lined up for next fall. Followed by a week with another friend who's a guide in Garda. Pretty stoked about that.
    However many are in a shit ton.

^^ you shoulda just asked me!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The guided vs self driven adventure debate is obviously a slight deviation from the original post. But most of us seem to be looking at the adventure races as basically a variation on the guided trip with some room&board support. So it's kind of a wash. Though, it is hard to figure why an organized competition would cost MORE than private guiding. If I do a trip with Steve, I'm guessing the employee to customer ratio is way better and the minimum skill/knowledge level of each employee is better too.

I just spent a week riding on Vancouver Island. The local beta I did get definitely helped, but having a bonafide guide would have maximized my riding by a significant margin. The guys I did talk to on the Island basically just wanted me to do their favorite after work rides and had no concept of what would make a ride memorable or epic from an outsiders perspective. Locals who just point you in the right direction are also pretty consistently bad at giving important details like "oh yea, the there's an intersection on the climb that doesn't show up on the map. Make sure you don't take that seemingly obvious left turn!" and "You really don't want to be riding on these trails. The ones at the other end of the Island are way more epic and hold up better in the rain". Guides do that. And after flying across the country with bikes and driving a thousand miles and spending another thousand on cabins, the times we got lost or ended up on shitty overgrown trails were particularly frustrating.
    I've got a guided trip in Finale Ligure lined up for next fall. Followed by a week with another friend who's a guide in Garda. Pretty stoked about that.
    Yup. That's the main issue getting local recommendations. The order and combinations of trails is important

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I thought you were PG now?
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

I have many friends that do those 3 events, all peeps around the 40 mark with decent jobs that rip on a bike. They think its worth it, so good on them and they come back absolutely stoked!!! I also think its too much but then again, I have no problem after many years of surf dirt bagging paying $250ish/day to travel to the Mentawais to surf where I find the $/wave ratio absolutely worth it.

That said I do appreciate when the EWS races cost, what was it, ~$65, compared to lesser series which cost ~$100 and the main reason I raced Retallack was to experience it at a cheaper rate than normal.

Oh, a friend is organizing this TransCR, its more affordable.
    Last edited by robnow; 10-24-2016 at 10:20 PM.

my wife and I did the breck epic a few years ago, once entry costs, meal plan and a place to stay for the week were considered it's on par with the others cost wise. i wanted to see what i could do in a 6 day stage race set up and the fee ended up allowing us to just follow the course and ride as hard as we could then eat and drink at a recovery tent, kick our feet up for a couple hours/chill till the meal plan dinner was ready, chow and sleep. We are both mid 40's and income is OK but we definitely prioritize ride/ski vacations as that's what we dig and skimp on a lot of other aspects of spending. so for my money the races are a blast, can test you physically and mentally, get you riding when you may not want to initially and you can still do a camping bike trip in a 5 month ride season. if you are thinking about, I'd say hell yeah - but ride hard - & a lot and be ready for more than you expect as well as a good crew surrounding you
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I thought you were PG now?
    PG? Been there lots, would never live there! Been in Socal for 10 years now. Parents live in Courtenay though.

Obviously, my target market isn't anyone on TGR.
    wait, whut?

Hey, can I get a bro deal on one of your trips?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    wait, whut?

Hey, can I get a bro deal on one of your trips?
    Ok, maybe I shouldn't say "anyone on TGR"... but not most of the guys on here.

I can definitely hook you up with a deal, depending on which trip you're interested in.

I can definitely hook you up with a deal, depending on which trip you're interested in.
    I was totally joking. I'm not much of a random group trip guy. I was absolutely agreeing with your statement. This place for the most part is a bunch of dirt bags looking for a deal and will do things on their own, even those that can afford to pay for it.

Although, going with someone in the 'know' is always a plus. Saves time and energy. A lot to be said for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    my wife and I did the breck epic a few years ago, once entry costs, meal plan and a place to stay for the week were considered it's on par with the others cost wise. i wanted to see what i could do in a 6 day stage race set up and the fee ended up allowing us to just follow the course and ride as hard as we could then eat and drink at a recovery tent, kick our feet up for a couple hours/chill till the meal plan dinner was ready, chow and sleep. We are both mid 40's and income is OK but we definitely prioritize ride/ski vacations as that's what we dig and skimp on a lot of other aspects of spending. so for my money the races are a blast, can test you physically and mentally, get you riding when you may not want to initially and you can still do a camping bike trip in a 5 month ride season. if you are thinking about, I'd say hell yeah - but ride hard - & a lot and be ready for more than you expect as well as a good crew surrounding you
    This is similar to the wife and I.
    When you guys both race, do you ride together? Or is it pretty much just hang out before and after riding?

We're loosely talking about a Moab type trip with another couple a year or so from now. After the Vancouver Island exploration, I would most definitely consider one of Steve's trips. I can see doing 3-4 days with Steve with maybe a day or two of private riding on either side so that the whole trip isn't structured.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    We're loosely talking about a Moab type trip with another couple a year or so from now. After the Vancouver Island exploration, I would most definitely consider one of Steve's trips. I can see doing 3-4 days with Steve with maybe a day or two of private riding on either side so that the whole trip isn't structured.
    I'll take care of you guys....

jm2e we did not ride together for that event, it just would not be good for our marriage or finish times, she flies uphill and I like to think I fly downhill. hard enough for me without trying to ride someone else's pace/
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.