Thread: Rampage 2016

Rampage 2016

Where is the new venue this year? Anyone have some GPS coordinates?

It's gonna be sick

I can't make it this year so I have an RV spot in the Zion River resort. If anyone needs a place to stay PM me and I'll hook you up.

On live right now and its pretty awesome.

Bummer about Aggy, hope he's OK.

As much as I dig this event, I do question pushing the sport this far. The risk is so high. There's something about snow that makes it seem better to me even though avi danger in combo with the terrain is probably more of a risk than what these guys are doing.

That was my first one live. What a fucking cool event.

I really liked the natural terrain course. Unbeliveably burly!

Did you make it in HBM? Looked to be a difficult poach.

Can't you just walk down there from grafton mesa?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yup, kinda. We were trying to figure out where one of the OG freeride trails used to come through there. NFL-no fall left

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    As much as I dig this event, I do question pushing the sport this far. The risk is so high. There's something about snow that makes it seem better to me even though avi danger in combo with the terrain is probably more of a risk than what these guys are doing.
    Do you prefer to go by Sally or Nancy?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I made it in. Got a ticket.

The event organizers were being pricks this year. You had to be with the person who bought the ticket and they had to show ID. There were only like two hot Redbull chicks who were checking 2,000 people in. Line was long as fuck.

Event was pretty gnarly, but the momentum was slow because of the wind holds and crashes. Aggy's crash was scary looking. I managed to catch that through the binoculars. It seemed like Semenuk would have been beat had some of the guys finished their runs, but that is what makes Semenuk a champ!

One thing we couldn't tell from being there was just how fucking crazy the intro ridgelines were!! I really didn't realize it was a 3ft. wide ridge they were all charging down in the beginning! I saw the course preview for the Bearclaw line, but never saw the looker's left line POV until now. Holy fuck!!

Aggy's crash looked like it hurt.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Aggy's crash looked like it hurt.
    It did, but he got up! Podium next year.

Just finished watching the replay. Has there been a single year when wind wasn't an issue? I feel like they need to run this contest like the big surf comps where they have window for optimal conditions. It sucks to see this event dragged down by bad conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Has there been a single year when wind wasn't an issue?
    Nope.

I think they used to pause the event though. Look at photos of strait's big no hander in 2004 and notice the shadows. I remember something about putting the thing on hold that year.

Fewer competitors obviously helps but the only sure fire way to beat the wind down there IMO is either do two days with riding in the morning, or a split day with morning, break, afternoon run. Your surf window idea could open up the possibility of that magical post front moving through, high pressure setup. Later in the year might help too. That place gets snow sometimes though doesn't it?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

If they started at 7 or 8am, they would have a good chance to do two runs before the wind picks up. As long as there are no course delays. But they wait until 10am for the live stream. There's a good chance they are waiting for the sun to hit the course, too.

It would seem that the expanded media coverage, while nice for viewers is a lot of the problem. Whenever they've had to cancel 2nd runs or shut it down because of weather it's because they don't want the heli just burning gas while on wind hold. It's a little strange that getting coverage for TV takes precedence over actually completing the event.

Quote Originally Posted by steeze_pizza View Post
    It would seem that the expanded media coverage, while nice for viewers is a lot of the problem. Whenever they've had to cancel 2nd runs or shut it down because of weather it's because they don't want the heli just burning gas while on wind hold. It's a little strange that getting coverage for TV takes precedence over actually completing the event.
    Doesn't seem strange at all, it's all about publicity and keeping to budgets like any event.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Your surf window idea could open up the possibility of that magical post front moving through, high pressure setup.
    That would be the idea. It makes the whole thing logistically harder, but not outrageously so for such a premiere event.

Quote Originally Posted by steeze_pizza View Post
    My perception has always been that it's driven by the athletes. Everyone competing is acutely aware of the dangers high winds pose with this kind of riding.

Man, PEF's run was so smooth, fluid and fast. Really wish they'd score that kind of riding better. Tricks are cool and all, but damn, making it look that easy was pretty damn impressive. Same reason why I'll pick Reine's or Jeremie's runs over Louic's on the FWT most days of the week. So fast fluid and precise.

EDIT: Remy too
    Last edited by Lindahl; 10-21-2016 at 12:50 PM.

They had a weather window for the event, but apparently the weather on Friday was looking better than the weather over the weekend, which were the alternate days. Can't do it like a surf contest, where the call goes out and people show up a day later, because you need a week to build the features. But yeah, some sort of plan to get it done early in the day is key. I know I wouldn't mind taped coverage if it meant better coverage and a safer event.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba