Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    man today was literally all-time, unreal deep and dry pow, thigh deep ski pen in the woods...you'll probably all want to go to blackcomb tomorrow, whistler definitely won't get anything open....

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    man today was literally all-time, unreal deep and dry pow, thigh deep ski pen in the woods...you'll probably all want to go to blackcomb tomorrow, whistler definitely won't get anything open....
    Yes it was all time. T Bar laps in the afternoon delivered deep.

First time in 10 years to actually see tire checks at Alice Lake for north bound traffic. This was when we were driving home.

Bluebird pow of happiness in the Whistler backcountry. 50+ new cms of cold smoke made for heavy trailbreaking but it was worth it.

Stuck to treeline and below since there was obvious wind effect in the alpine. Temps -8, skies clear, winds light. Skied SE, E and W slopes

What a day. Crazy holiday crowds on Whistler but the bluebird and cold pow made up for it. Just surfing around all day. Good times, WB delivers again.

This is a last minute call to anybody who wants to tour tomorrow for Jan 1st. All my plans feel through and I'd be keen on findind a partner for a couple of laps anywhere within 2 hours ishh of Vancouver. Hit me up on my phone 6zero4-3five3-393four

What's up with all the lifts not running due to extreme cold and windchill?

It's *only* -20, which is pretty common out East. Are the lifts actually made any differently, or does everyone on the coast just have gaping vaginas?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    What's up with all the lifts not running due to extreme cold and windchill?

It's *only* -20, which is pretty common out East. Are the lifts actually made any differently, or does everyone on the coast just have gaping vaginas?
    probably more to do with the wind speed

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    probably more to do with the wind speed
    That was my first thought - but then I see their twatter feed:

Whistler Blackcomb ‏@WhistlerBlckcmb 3h3 hours ago
    Peak, Harmony, P2P, 7th Heaven, Crystal, Glacier, Showcase and Horstman will be on standby until further notice due to extreme cold. #WBOps

...and:

Whistler Blackcomb ‏@WhistlerBlckcmb Jan 2
    Showcase T-Bar will remain closed for the rest of the day due to high winds. #WBOps

It's a little confusing - why make the distinction? Maybe the lifties can't legally be forced to work in such windy and cold conditions. I will solve this mystery for the greater good.

That was my first thought - but then I see their twatter feed:

Whistler Blackcomb ‏@WhistlerBlckcmb 3h3 hours ago
    Peak, Harmony, P2P, 7th Heaven, Crystal, Glacier, Showcase and Horstman will be on standby until further notice due to extreme cold. #WBOps

...and:

Whistler Blackcomb ‏@WhistlerBlckcmb Jan 2
    Showcase T-Bar will remain closed for the rest of the day due to high winds. #WBOps

It's a little confusing - why make the distinction? Maybe the lifties can't legally be forced to work in such windy and cold conditions. I will solve this mystery for the greater good.
    who knows, but with the wind speeds I think it was colder than -40C the past few days. Went out for a tour with a friend yesterday and based on the wind in the trees in the sub-alpine and the obviously vicious alpine wind that was stripping off plumes of pow everywhere, I was fine when my friend succumbed to a head cold and wanted to turn around. personally I'm enjoying being in the office recovering from 2 weeks of prime shredding over the holidays resting up for another juicy cycle while it's this cold...<fingers crossed> <anti-jinx> <blahblahblah>....

My guess would be WB is concerned about the alpine lifts getting frequent wind stoppages and guests sitting there getting blasted by -40C and beyond windchill.

I heard there were over 31,000 visitors scanned in on Friday which was a new record, anyone know if that rumour is true? Certainly one of the busiest days I've ever seen, Creekside was pretty much full at 8:30am and the upload line was 1 hour at that point (yeah, I should've left the city earlier). Still scratching my head when I see all the families spending thousands of dollars to travel to WB over Christmas and stand in line all holiday. Why not just go to Big White or Sun Peaks.

The highlight of the insanity was seeing families boot packing out the Symphony cat road at 1pm because the lift line was over an hour, partly because Symphony is running slow on back-up power. Definitely a world class guest experience right there.

So glad the Christmas season delivered two years in a row. This office drone appreciates the lucky timing.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    My guess would be WB is concerned about the alpine lifts getting frequent wind stoppages and guests sitting there getting blasted by -40C and beyond windchill.
    Gotta be it. Makes sense, we got stuck on garbanzo for an hour once and it was quite unpleasant, even with the shelter of the trees and relatively warm temps. Rep was handing out free lift ticket vouchers at the top. Needed to collect our thoughts with beer after such a harrowing experience.

Excited to come back home for a few days skiing in a couple weeks. All terrain more or less open?

Gotta be it. Makes sense, we got stuck on garbanzo for an hour once and it was quite unpleasant, even with the shelter of the trees and relatively warm temps. Rep was handing out free lift ticket vouchers at the top. Needed to collect our thoughts with beer after such a harrowing experience.

Excited to come back home for a few days skiing in a couple weeks. All terrain more or less open?
    Yep everything has been open for a few weeks now. Coverage is excellent up high, maybe a bit thin in lower elevation trees. Currently awaiting a reset from the outflow wind fucking of the alpine.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Yep everything has been open for a few weeks now. Coverage is excellent up high, maybe a bit thin in lower elevation trees. Currently awaiting a reset from the outflow wind fucking of the alpine.
    a bit thin? 98cm hs at bottom of cat.

Whistler/South Coast/Duffey stoke and conditions 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    a bit thin? 98cm hs at bottom of cat.
    There was nearly double that but we had a big wind event and our weather plot ended up being in a wind tunnel

The below picture was at about the same elevation today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1483666160.015981.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	861.5 KB 
ID:	196540
    Last edited by rob stokes; 01-05-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    There was nearly double that but we had a big wind event and our weather plot ended up being in a wind tunnel.

The below picture was at about the same elevation today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1483666160.015981.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	861.5 KB 
ID:	196540
    Jimmy Stokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    Jimmy Stokes.
    I should change my name.

Minus 17 to start. Minus 10 towards eod. Winds light, skies clear. 190cms+ HS at 1850m.

Poking around yields dividends. W facing steep slopes skiing with pow

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I should change my name.
    looks like nice turns!

31 out of 35 days this season have been pow. Flu cut last week short but still Duffey powhunting has been successful

we poked around the opposite side of the valley from lee's shots today...didn't have a lot of time, but we got some sun and some soft snow

Lee's line somewhere in here

Diggin' life in these mountains...

Been a great start. MOAR SNOW PLEASE

Play safe Gents!! And give'er.

Looks like it's going to nuke the entire time I'm out there. Not surprising. Hopefully the snow abates long enough to get some alpine runs in - but I'll take long lines on Crystal if it means deep snow.

Looks like it's going to nuke the entire time I'm out there. Not surprising. Hopefully the snow abates long enough to get some alpine runs in - but I'll take long lines on Crystal if it means deep snow.
    Not many lines today after a minor dump...