Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Ski outs are ok, not great.
    peak to creek side much better than dave murray side for Creekside exits as of yesterday...hopefully they can get some guns going on DM this week

Oboe and Cowboy ridge

Winds light from SE and SW. Temps fluctuating with ridgetops approx -8 and valley floor (Singing Pass) - 12. Ski quality excellent. Some sastrugi and windslab forming at ridgelines but good below ridgeline.

E facing slopes and convexities non-reactive to ski cuts.

On Sunday we only managed a backside Flute (excellent snow), Oboe trees (ok, some wind effect in open pitches) and a Pig's Fancy to finish the day (totally wind fucked, should've saved the time and went lesser Flute)... lazy late start but a beautiful day nonetheless.

Hope the system coming later this week is juicy.

1-2 cm snowfall in van paralyzed the city. couldn't get in to work, so a coworker and i did the responsible thing and left the city for cypress so as to reduce the traffic burden. it was pretty ok up there

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	194382

Cypress today
    -6, no wind. 57cms in 24 hours

i was up there too for a couple pre-work laps yesterday and got first chair! it was sick!

Anyone in Whistler have some vibratite I could use? We're in town until Sunday and I forgot my bottle at home - going to swap some bindings and prefer to put on a new layer when I do, though it often works without doing so. People who have been up recently, you recommend Renegades or Praxis Freerides for today?

Also, if anyone wants to do somelaps today, the gf and I will be there. She's on GPOs, I'll be in arcteryx orange and yellow Norrona pants with a white helmet
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Wayne seems to think there's a chance the next storm could track far enough to hit Whistler with some decent snowfall... I'm mentally preparing for dust on crust at the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Wayne seems to think there's a chance the next storm could track far enough to hit Whistler with some decent snowfall... I'm mentally preparing for dust on crust at the resort.
    I think even if we get 30+cms overnight, its still gonna be dust crust if it comes thru as cold as forecast. faceshots on cattracks though

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I think even if we get 30+cms overnight, its still gonna be dust crust if it comes thru as cold as forecast. faceshots on cattracks though
    I'm willing to accept that

Strolled up Disease Ridge today. Lots of wind effect from Artic outflow which always reminds one to watch for reverse windloading. In outflows the N and NE winds load S and W slopes so those sometimes get touchy and/or slabby thus skiing like ass.

Perfect example today about a third way up the ridge. Skiing off a small gully feature onto a convexity just above a ridgeline. Whumpf then triggered size 1 with blocks running into the gully. No tools to do a profile but a 20 to 80cms crown (highly variable depth area) on convexity of approx 35 deg. WSW slope. Surrounding surface snow was sastrugi and/or slab.

Along the crown of approx 20m (so density was variable) top layer releasing was pencil to 1 finger. Bottom layer remaining fist to 1 finger. Felt like small grained surface hoar on bed surface but no loupe or saw to assess.

Skies overcast. Winds moderate from the SE. Temps - 9. Snowing lightly perhaps 1 to 2 cms new

holy fuck, if you're not riding the north shore right now, you are blowing it. plans to go to whis this weekend now out the window

What is the best site for weather forecast in the whistler area?

Thanks

I aggregate the forecast from snow-forecast, W/B and Environment Canada. If all three are saying the same/similar thing then it's likely to happen. I don't think there's any one forecaster I'd say is always accurate, feels to me like snow-forecast.com is the least inaccurate generally but there are others in town who hate it! This satellite loop is good for watching where the storms are tracking; http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/alir.html

Planning to go out into some of the Slackcountry around Blackcomb most likely... any first hand info out there on areas around Decker, or on Whistler side beyond Oboe? Trying to decide which way to go there.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKS View Post
    Planning to go out into some of the Slackcountry around Blackcomb most likely... any first hand info out there on areas around Decker, or on Whistler side beyond Oboe? Trying to decide which way to go there.
    50 Salomon pro's are currently tracking it all out faster than you can decided where you might go.

The answer to your question is always Musical Bumps, always go ski there.

</grumpy he's not skiing and in the office>

Friend was in AST2 Fri-Mon in the Blackcomb slack and said skiing was excellent. I believe they were in Speadhead/Vista Bowl/Corona yesterday and claiming knee deep blower. He did say guide's notch area was very boney. Saw a pic of Poop Chutes that looked really nice too.

I spent the weekend cruising the resort with non-touring friends. Fun times and surprisingly good snow especially Sunday... highlight was probably first Sapphire to Zut Zut of the season on Sunday morning. Wildside looked very boney still. And great pow in Patrol Trees end of the day. I need to ski Blackcomb more often.

The hilariously bad traffic Sunday around 4pm was a shocker. 45 minutes from Lot 8 to Blackcomb base area, then I went north around Alta Lake and it still took 2 hours from Lot 8 to Squamish. Friends turned left onto 99 and said it was almost 2 hours from Lot 8 to Creekside. Seeing WA plates driving down on Sunday night just makes me wonder why these people put up with it, this is now Bay Area/Tahoe and I-70 front range level stupidity. They really should be checking snow tires/chains more often.

So I guess I should just follow the Salomon Pro's then!! Nah, sounds pretty good out there though. Will check it out in the AM.

Weekend looked good, however mine was filled with work xmas parties. However I got out onto Hollyburn on Sunday, sweat out all the party mess.

This high pressure will be nice (but cold!) to get out into.

@shirk I hear ya on the work vibes. I work on the 22nd floor downtown, and my view is right out the window staring at the north shore mountains, it's like a daily tease, as I stare and admire them.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

@shirk I hear ya on the work vibes. I work on the 22nd floor downtown, and my view is right out the window staring at the north shore mountains, it's like a daily tease, as I stare and admire them.
    I feel that as well. For the last week I've watched the system(s) pound the locals from my desk in my apartment, lamenting the need to study for final exams. Why haven't we invented some sort of Matrix-esque learning program by now? Two more days 'till pow therapy. Just two more days. Hopefully there's some left for me:/

So I guess I should just follow the Salomon Pro's then!! Nah, sounds pretty good out there though. Will check it out in the AM.

Weekend looked good, however mine was filled with work xmas parties. However I got out onto Hollyburn on Sunday, sweat out all the party mess.

This high pressure will be nice (but cold!) to get out into.

Quote Originally Posted by LaGrench View Post
    I feel that as well. For the last week I've watched the system(s) pound the locals from my desk in my apartment, lamenting the need to study for final exams. Why haven't we invented some sort of Matrix-esque learning program by now? Two more days 'till pow therapy. Just two more days. Hopefully there's some left for me:/
    Well la de da, look at these poor souls. I live in fuckland Ontario, and will be hitting the big W for 4 ski days this season. FOUR. This is all I have to keep me going. I'd love to be able to see a mountain outside.

Just remember - it could always be worse!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Well la de da, look at these poor souls. I live in fuckland Ontario, and will be hitting the big W for 4 ski days this season. FOUR. This is all I have to keep me going. I'd love to be able to see a mountain outside.

Just remember - it could always be worse!

I lived in Ontartio once upon a time, then I smartened the fuck up and moved out West. How's Blue skiing these days?

things I miss about Ontario..........sorry, drawing a blank

I think I would just stop skiing if I had to live in Ontario again (I served my two years already). Not worth the pain of gambling on one big trip "out west" each season. Probably become a roadie instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    I lived in Ontartio once upon a time, then I smartened the fuck up and moved out West. How's Blue skiing these days?
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    things I miss about Ontario..........sorry, drawing a blank
    And this.

we been in the deep freeze up here and are just about to come out of the -20 something temps

the new ski coach is from ontario, buddy was talking about skiing on a water injected piste at his old hill
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know