fly setup for a kid

I thought this would get to the right mags here rather than tech talk.....

My son is 10, loves to fish. Handles his spinning setup really well, it's been awhile since I've had to untangle lines or de-hook him. Still a kid, but not an idiot.

We fish mostly in the Sierra, usually while backpacking. Lots of trout basically.

I'd like to set him up for xmas with a full outfit. I know nothing about fly fishing, I just throw spoons and rooster tails and get what I get.

Is a $200 budget realistic for everything? He has a tackle box we can use still. Where do I start? Dream kids fly setup..... and go-

Sweeeet!

OK, so I'm just a perpetual beginner and not much of a rod techie but I'll add a couple of things here since you said you know nothing about fly fishing.

This first thing kinda depends on the water being fished. Its tough to cast a fly all that far compared to a spin rod and you need at least a bit more room to do it. I'm wondering if he's gonna need some way to get out into the river. Now, you can wade without specialized shit, but at some point (like this time of year for me), it becomes necessary because the water is just too friggin cold. Also, specialized wading boots help. They got special soles (many use felt) and other fancy shit like that and are made to be worn in the water. Typical setup is neo-bootie foot breathable waders + wading boots. Those alone could bust the $200.00 budget, or come close. Maybe since its for your kid, someone's got some hand me down kid waders. Maybe you aint gonna fish in the winter, heck, I dunno. I use neoprene socks with my regular wading boots and shorts or camp pants for as much of the year as I possibly can as waders are hot and a pain in the ass. Just a thought. Besides going barefoot or just walking in the water with my hiking boots and wearing wet boots for the rest of the hike, or, hiking with my wading boots on, I have not arrived at great backpack solution for this. Now hiking in to fish for the day, then, you could bring a second set of boots or a raft or a friggin inflatable SUP if you wanted.

So that said, even if you go minimalist, you still need some way to carry what amounts to generally more shit whilst actually fishing than you might need for spin fishing. Just a bit more, but, some system that's thought out beforehand is best (even if its just shirt or pants pockets, which I've used quite well).

My buddy uses a hip pack with a shoulder strap. The tackle is in the hip pack and he can put his tools and flypatch on the strap.
    My wife converted her camelback into a fishing backpack and ditched her vest.
    I use a standard fishing vest or just put my shit in my pockets if I'm backpacking (which I completely failed to do yet this year, shit!).
    I also like these, but never used one and don't know how much they weigh (has and advantage of forcing you to keep weight down): http://www.drslick.com/catalog/view_...aces/necklaces

The disadvantage of the lanyard is that you have to figure out somewhere else to put your net cuz usually I hang it with one of those magnet deals from the back of my vest. Though, you don't always need a net. Also nice how the company is secure enough with itself to call the product a "necklace" instead of a lanyard. That one comes with some shit included. Box looks reasonable, though, I'd prefer foam on both sides. that rubber thing is there so you can put your floatant in there, slide it in and it grips it.

I don't want to make this seem complicated cuz it aint, its just one or two extra pieces, but youre at least gonna need to have with you or near you and, hence, needing a system to keep track of it:

1. Tippet: http://www.fishusa.com/product/RIO-F...FQaUaQodZUUPWQ

1. He needs tippet, like 5x or 6x, preferably 4x, 5x and 6x. Even if he's just fishing one bug, you can't really just keep changing out the leader, that gets expensive and is way more of a hassle. Fly line ties to leader and leader (usually) tapers from like 15lb test to like 3lb test. The last 2 feet or so of the approx 3lb test is the money making end of the leader but as you keep cutting bugs off and changing them it becomes shorter and more needs to be tied on. (blood knot, double surgeon's, triple surgeons, nail splice good choices). You'll probably buy tapered leaders of something prolly like 7.5' 4x or 9' 4x. You have to tie on more tippet as you use it up. You also want tippet if you want to use rigs with more than one bug if thats legal where you are at. So, you can tie rigs with it an rebuild your leader with it. I'm simplifying here, and the diameter should be dictated by where you fish, but say you start out with a 9' 5x leader. You keep cutting it down then you tie on more 5x. do that enough times and the part your tying onto will be larger in diameter so you'll want to tie on a piece of the 4x, then a piece of the 5x to try to keep the taper, ummm, tapering? Leaders are like 5 bucks for mono. You can furl or tie them yourself but the regular knotless tapered is probably the easiest and (maybe) the most versatile.

Mono is cheaper. There is a big debate about mono vs. Floro. I like floro in small diameters for the tippet more for abrasion resistance than anything but people swear the fish can see the mono better.

Now, have him keep those in his pocket or, invest in a tippet spool tender which makes lots of tippet related shit way easier.

Fly box. I don't know what tackle box you got, but a fly specific box is almost necessary, as is a patch to put wet bugs on to dry out before you put them back in the box. You CAN use those small cortland boxes, those are fine, but you will find that it is easier to store more bugs in a box, and easier to get just one out without spilling the other flys. I like these in extra small as they easily fit in any pocket (they have the same ones a Jax also, just says Jax instead, lol): http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...F103891680.uts

Floatant: you put this on your leader and your dry flies (before they are cast onto the water) to help seal water out to aid in floating:
    http://www.fishusa.com/product/Loon-Aquel-Floatant

Nippers. I like nippers with nail knot tool but at least get ones that have the needle point (helps to clear glue out of the hook eye).

Hemostats but reckon yall got those already.

Desiccant. You put this on the bug to dry it out when your fishing so that the fly will keep floating. I like this stuff:
    https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ac...g-s-fanny.html

Fly patch. You gotta leave your bugs out to dry and also helpful storage. These come in many shapes and sizes. I like the wool because it actually allows the hook to dry.

Soft weight or split shot. This stuff is pretty good in most temps:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nymph...ty/1312601.uts
    The silver stuff is cheaper but its rock hard when the temps are under maybe 60 degrees.

Sorry I can only help with the boring stuff. Though, I did notice there are some kid specific rods. Slightly shorter and Medium to slow action seems to be the preference after a quick glance.

Get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Fe.../dp/B00019NAOS

Check out the "frequently bought together" section. I have the 6'6" 3/4 rod, and I love it. Those SF lines work fine too, get the 4 or 5 wt. I keep the reel on it, strung up with a fly at the tip top, and folded in half, and use a large twist tie to keep it together for my hike-ins. Take off twist tie, put it together, strip out line, cast. Easy peasy. That rod rocks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Here's a killer price for a really good rod. I got one for a beginner friend, and it is an amazing rod for the price. Google for reviews:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141208323502...72.m2749.l2649

Got the same guy this reel. I waited for a 25% off email from Left Lane. It's made by Ross, the same reel as a Ross CLA::
    http://www.leftlanesports.com/Produc...000&p=RRS01231

Google around for a fly line. You should be able to pick up a Rio or Scientific Angler 5 wt on discount soon.
    Edit: Check it:
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sci...ector~p~133mt/

$200 > or < with enough left over for a leader straightener.

My kid (4 year old) has a 7'6" Ross Essence with a Red Truck Emerger 3wt reel. He is able to cast it with reasonable accuracy and the whole set up is really light. The reel is made for smaller hands so it isn't too cumbersome.

"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Fe.../dp/B00019NAOS

Check out the "frequently bought together" section. I have the 6'6" 3/4 rod, and I love it. Those SF lines work fine too, get the 4 or 5 wt. I keep the reel on it, strung up with a fly at the tip top, and folded in half, and use a large twist tie to keep it together for my hike-ins. Take off twist tie, put it together, strip out line, cast. Easy peasy. That rod rocks.
    I have one of those Eagle Claws because they are fun as hell to cast
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Get this one.

At first glance I thought that said "Medium 8' 4" / 5 line." Not quite.

good stuff everyone, thanks. I gots no time at the moment to really dig into all the advice but I will asap.

I was thinking to skip the waders and get a little inflatable kayak or something. Maybe just walmart style to start. Summer fishing.

Also, what about 2nd hand rod/reel? A lot of the options are cheap enough to buy new, but my inclination is to spend the same money and get better quality used equipment.

$.01....
    I might wait for a flyrod purchase and get him into a few casting sessions somewhere in the spring. Flycasting isn't like spincasting where anyone can learn within 10min.
    Think 3wt or 4wt outfits for streams' insect/baitfish patterns and any alpine ponds/bogs/lakes will be fine....often 7' to 8' rods are easiest to learn with & catch fish with.
    If you go the floattube route...maybe a little longer rod will make life easier. Medium-fast action will respond nicely in his attempts to set the hook...yet will be rather forgiving
    of casting technique and will help him put the line/fly where he wants it.
    There's nothing more frustrating than either a very soft, slow-action rod which won't have good hook setting properties.....and a very fast action(very high linespeed...and often very stiff)
    rod to get the fly out there but will bark & stop working when his timing isn't exactly right...
    Last edited by steved; 10-18-2016 at 09:54 AM.