Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    For me, the existence of a resort full of human simulacrums begs a larger question: to what ends is this technology being used outside the park? If the park has been around for 30 years then by that point the bioandroid technology should be readily available worldwide. Why would it be limited to Westworld? And exactly what kind of world is it? There is a bewildering lack of a larger context between the park and the outside world. Anyone else notice this? Why haven't the guests encountered bioandroids outside Westworld? The resort has been around for a long time yet we are seeing the arriving guests going all, golly gee, this is so amazing!! How has this technology been monopolized and secluded in a fantasy park for billionaires? Why? For decades! Wouldn't a billionaire have a few android servants back at the mansion? Did I miss an explanation for this? Hate to say it, but the more interesting story might be the one outside the park. Good science fiction provides context to its setting and this show is still blatantly lacking in that department.
    Yup - Maybe this is like Elysium where we're far into the future and the survivors are sheltered (in a small area on Earth or another planet or orbiting satellite)?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    He's been coming for 30 years....last time a guest got hurt was 30 years ago....my guess at this stage is he's out for revenge for whatever happened in that incident.
    Maybe the Man in Black is a Host gone sentient and his backstory was that he had been coming to the park for 30 years?

Seems complicated.

Maybe even messy.

More so with each episode; not a good sign.

And this is only the inside; best not to further mess things up with the outside.

Unless the outside is actually causing the inside??

Disappointed so far, not the least of which is the math. For $40k a day I can kill 5-10, what-$5 m robots? Giving the day rate was akin to being told about midichlorons...

so far we are at network+ storytelling, but certainly lacking as compared to the best HBO stuff.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Disappointed so far, not the least of which is the math. For $40k a day I can kill 5-10, what-$5 m robots?
    I think most would assume that the robots can be re-animated/repaired for re-use.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think most would assume that the robots can be re-animated/repaired for re-use.
    That has been made very clear.

..... although (non-spoiler alert) that repair protocol is about to go horribly sideways.

Westworld

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Bet there's a shotgun surcharge then.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the repairs, ratio of guests to hosts, infrastructure, etc are a bit beyond suspension of disbelief.

Real issue is writing/storyline is below par as of 3 episodes in.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

^ lighten up francis. it's TV.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the repairs, ratio of guests to hosts, infrastructure, etc are a bit beyond suspension of disbelief.
    I take it you don't watch game of thrones then?

Do you know how boring tv would be if every show had to be economically, scientifically, or physically accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    I take it you don't watch game of thrones then?

Do you know how boring tv would be if every show had to be economically, scientifically, or physically accurate?
    Other than the dragons, which we all know existed well before humans did, I think Game of Thrones is a pretty accurate depiction of what life was like in the early 1800's.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Other than the dragons, which we all know existed well before humans did, I think Game of Thrones is a pretty accurate depiction of what life was like in the early 1800's.
    It was a golden age of meandering plot lines and superfluous nudity.

Like a real life role playing game.

First episode was interesting. Second episode held my attention. Now it just feels like the show is being made up as they go along. What is this even about?

Despite the stacked cast and great production I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Whats her name that plays the blond robot is very good at her job.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

This is getting to be a lot of effort. I'll see it out to the bitter end, but I'm not recommending it to anyone except OCD nerds.
    No, I'm not one myself - just committed to my initial investment.

I'm totally absorbed in this show. The acting has been great. During the first few episodes, I was trying to guess where this was going. There are lots of theories out there (for instance, we are seeing two time periods, William is the Man in Black 30 years later). After this last episode, I decided to just go for the ride and watch with the idea we are seeing everything in current time (more or less). There are robot memory flashbacks, but I'm going with the action is all current.

William = the man in black is what I'm rolling with right now. Would tie a lot of it together.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    First episode was interesting. Second episode held my attention. Now it just feels like the show is being made up as they go along. What is this even about?
    Good question and, increasingly, that seems to be the point of the show. It is a puzzle as much as it is a narrative. Right off the bat, I noticed an odd lack of context to the setting and mistook it for a fault. But it's not. We were meant to pick up on that. The lack of a fixed where and when is part of the puzzle and also a cue that this is all a big puzzle. Personally, I think the show has been getting better as it starts to mess with our expectations and, imho, that's why the show may feel like it "is being made up as they go along." You aren't watching the linear show you expected. To me, it feels like there aren't many superfluous moments in the show. All the scenes have important information for the viewer, but teasing out what it is can be frustrating, to say the least. Basically, its like doing a puzzle without getting to look at the box.

Keep in mind that Jonathon Nolan (Christopher Nolan's brother) who wrote Memento is behind this and that movie was one long mindfuck playing with both time and memory. That narrative featured an unreliable narrator operating on false memories in two parallel timelines, one running forward and the other running in reverse. We may have something similar going on here with split timelines and "memory loops".
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-01-2016 at 02:40 PM.

So , it's like telemarking, right?

Having major issues with the walking dead violence, and really am enjoying this show. For christ sakes, people, is just a story. On TV. and HBO has a pretty good track record when they are making big bets.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So , it's like telemarking, right?
    Those were super loops, not memory loops.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    ..... For christ sakes, people, is just a story ....
    Kind of hard to find the story so far, though, isn't it? We all know what it's fundamentally supposed to be - androids gaining sentience and what they do with it, but there seems to be so many detours, some of which could be entire storylines on their own, that it's somewhat distracting.

Taken as a whole, there's no denying the quality throughout the show, there's just that little, minor issue of cohesion. I'm not saying it isn't credible - that claim has no relevance here. If you think things will eventually sort themselves out, however, I'm guessing you're going to be disappointed. There's still plenty of enjoyment to go around though.

Maybe a spoiler alert (not really), but looking forward to this episode from Sunday night. Through 3 ep's so next-ish? . Old enough to remember seeing original back in the day, but also old enough to not remember much. Need to re-visit it at some point.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/west...on-1201905284/

The orgy scene was, 'meh'. It was so peripheral to the main characters I didn't really pay much mind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    If you think things will eventually sort themselves out, however, I'm guessing you're going to be disappointed.
    Have some faith. Jonathon Nolan has a track record for writing meticulously crafted stuff. As I mentioned, he wrote his brother's break through film, Memento, and co-wrote The Prestige and two of the Dark Knight films. I seriously doubt he's going to pull a Lost on the audience. When you consider Christopher Nolan's Inception, as well, you can see the Nolans' films usually feature a central mystery and that they like to keep the audience a bit off-balance until the reveal. These are all films that can be watched more than once. Just sit back and try to follow the clues.

Name:  200 (1).gif
Views: 320
Size:  196.1 KB

I actually think Westworld is better than Inception (so far) - better characters, scenery/setting (thought the morphing of the habit in Inception just became cartoonish and Matrix-like; oh and Dicaprio was incorrectly cast as the lead) but I definitely see your point.