Thread: Hubs?

Hubs?

Looking at Hope 4 or DT 350. Thinking of having a non boost 30i wheelset built and I'm a total bike gaper.

Both are great hubs, they just go about things differently. Both are easily convertible as well as serviceable and both have quality Boost adapters available for future frames if your worried about that. Personally I like the better engagement and looks of the Hopes.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

If you're looking for carbon, check out light bicycles.com. I got a nice set with Hope 4 s for $950 shipped.

Can't comment on hopes but my DT 350s have been going strong for 4.5 years with no maintenance other than the tool-free greasing of the star ratchets (which takes roughly 2 minutes). I have the 36t ratchets so the engagement is almost as quick as the hopes.

You can't go wrong with either brand.

IIRC the lower-end (higher numbered) dt swiss hubs have 18 points of engagement (can be upgraded to 36) whereas the hope pro 4 has 44 p.o.i. That translates into less lag transitioning from coasting to pedalling, which seems to really matter to some people (not me, but maybe you?)

Plus, it's click,click,click vs zzzzzz
    (again, if you care)

Looks like there is a 54 tooth upgrade kit also, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Looks like there is a 54 tooth upgrade kit also, fyi.
    I have the 54 star ratchet in my 350's. The engagement is great.
    This is a great article explains the different free hub types: https://dirtmountainbike.com/feature...ehub-body.html

I've owned DT Swiss, Hopes, Industry 9 and the DT swiss is by far my favorite for trail riding as it has the least amount of drag, but the lowest engagement. The hope's are the easiest to service and the Industry 9 has the best engagement but the most drag.

You cant go wrong with all 3 just pick what fits your riding style the best.

I like the DT tech, but am having issues rationalizing the difference in points of engagement. 18 vs 40 (Hope).

What are folks using for hoops? Thinking 30i nonboost. Unfortunately carbon is out.

Hard to go wrong between Hope or DT. I have a set of DTs on my road bike that have seen 3+ years of daily riding in the PNW. A little lube on the ratchet once just to make sure things were okay... they were. Similarly had a pair of Hope Pro II's on my mtb for 3 seasons without much maintenance. I have a pair of older i9 XC hubs that I have been running on a hardtail for 5+ years. I did have to replace some bearings, pawls, and lube last year. I run mostly Hadley now and will be buying another set for a new bike soon. Really high engagement with low rolling resistance. Any of those hubs are pretty awesome. Really just splitting hairs on which is better among those.

For hoops I like the WTB rims. I have been running Frequency rims for the past year and like those better than the Stans Arch they replaced.

What size and free hub body are you after?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    I like the DT tech, but am having issues rationalizing the difference in points of engagement. 18 vs 40 (Hope).
    You can get the 36t or 54t for the DTs.

Just chiming in to say that I hate the low engagement on DT hubs. For technical climbing, I can clean noticeably more of the trail on higher engagement hubs. And, yeah, I could upgrade the ratchet, but I shouldn't have to pay an additional $100 to make a high end hub suck less.

I've been happy with I9, Hope Pro II, and White Industries XMR hubs. I'm not a big fan of Chris Kings (they come loose).

For what it's worth I couldn't have a much higher opinion of Hope hubs right now.

I have a set of Hope Pro 2 EVO that is going on it's second wheel set and 4-1/2 years with a lot of hard trail riding on it.. It started sticking a bit (pedals turning when pushing the bike) I thought the rear hub was finally done, or at least needed bearings and a full rebuild.....Hope told me I should probably just disassemble, clean the pawls and check the bearings.

I watched a video and it took like 30 minutes to disassemble, clean the pawls and regrease, bearings were all in great shape still.... and it is like a new hub again.

Been running Hadleys for years and took a shot on the bikehubstore generics for a recent project. Gotta say I'm impressed with them for the price.

Even before Brexit hurt the value of the pound, I found very cheap prices on hope hubs ordered direct from UK online retailers with free shipping and no tax. Almost as cheap as Asian generics.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    What size and free hub body are you after?
    12/142. Currently running shimano 11sp cassette on oem Deore hubs. I've broken 2 spokes in as many months but I'd like these to finish out the last two, or so, months of the riding season in Ma.

Anyone recommend a wheelbuilder?

If you're in the Greater Boston area, I'd suggest JRA.

Bath Cycle

I ran Hope ProIIs for a few years and just got a set of Pro4s laced to the Stans Mk3 Flows and love them. Good balance of weight, engagement, drag and price. ONly a half a season in, but no sign of any issues and they sound fantastic. Not quite as loud as the ProIIs.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Even before Brexit hurt the value of the pound, I found very cheap prices on hope hubs ordered direct from UK online retailers with free shipping and no tax. Almost as cheap as Asian generics.
    Do tell.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.