Discussing Road Bike parts and what Cassette, Bottom Brackets

So looking at a few expenses for my road bike. Early 2000's (2002 I believe) Specialized Allez Sport with a few upgrades over the years from stock parts.

Another set of wheels just arrived this week for my Road Bike and instead of spinning off my existing 12/28 the rear cassette looking at a new 9 speed cassette for this setup. Existing rear derailleur is a Shimano 105 (standard length) and the front is a triple. So I know I can't go to a 33 big ring, but what is the highest I can go with the 105 rear- 30/11?

Also as stated I have a triple Shimano Tiagra up in the front and also Tiagra shifters and a Shimano Ultregra crankset and bottom bracket is getting worn pretty bad, so the shifting into the lower gear is pretty rough lately and noticeable wear and chain skipping in that ring. Local shop a few years ago said might as well run it until it causes more problems. So looking at what is out there in triple for a rebuild over the winter months? Price range on the bottom brackets?
    Last edited by RShea; 09-29-2016 at 03:26 PM.

My suggestion would be since it's a standard english threaded 68mm BB, just install a new thread in BB and pick up a cheap set of triple cranks, like Sora 9 speeds. It's cheaper than replacing the rings on your current Ultegra? Tiagra? crankset. Alternatively, if it's just your small ring that it's skipping in, you could replace just that AND get a smaller ring as well so not have to look at trying to hope your rear D works with a wider range cassette.

That said, once you install a new chain, which you also need, I am guessing it will skip in the middle for sure and big ring maybe.

I believe your old 105 rear D is rated for 27t max rear cog size, but my experience tells me Shimano rears can handle a much larger big rear cog than they tell you. I'd be very surprised if it was not happy with a 30t. A 32 might be pushing it.

this would be about a thousand dollars from your LBS or about $100 and free ship from one of the UK online dealers like Ribble, Merlin or CRC.

Thanks for the info and comments. I had replaced the middle chain ring about 1.5 years back and at the time the small and big rings were good. The crankset is definitely Ultegra (upgrade done before I purchased the bike). I suspect most of the skipping is due to the wearing of the bottom bracket as there is play in it and now more wobble in the front. I of course will not know for sure until I do something with the bottom bracket. New chain will be a given, if for nothing else I do not have to worry about premature wear on the new cassette gearing.