Ghost In The Shell 2017 ScarJo

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    You had me at ScarJo......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Hmmmmm .....

Hard to say for sure, but didn't seem to be following the original story.

Which story? There's more than one, ya know. All I can tell you is Michael Pitt is cast as Kuse, the Laughing Man. That means the source material may be derived from both of the principal story arcs from Stand Alone Complex: The Laughing Man case and The Individual Eleven case. The Laughing Man's name was Aoi, not Kuse. Kuze was the surviving member of the Individual Eleven who then became the antagonist in 2nd Gig. Kuse or Kuze, maybe that's a coincidence. Thing is though, the Laughing Man is a reclusive, nerdy super hacker and Kuze is an action man, a revolutionary character. They may have combined the two to come up with a more exciting villain. It could be that they are thinking sequel, where the character is the sly hacker in the first movie and then he becomes the tragic, doomed anti-hero revolutionary in a sequel. Suits me fine, IMHO, the main story lines from S.A.C. are better than the original film's rather simple plot.

Name:  Laughing_Man.gif
Views: 550
Size:  499.6 KB
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-29-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Damn walked right into that :reface:
    Only familiar with the two mainstream anime movies. New story line + ScarJo?? winning!

Better be better than Lucy, though ..... not that they are really related.

Well, you are missing out. The TV series is awesome. I think it is probably the most cerebral anime ever made. There's also a 2015 reboot called Ghost in the Shell: Arise that has about 7 hours of material. Basically, it's the origin story for the Major and Section 9. Be warned, SAC and SAC 2nd Gig are very complicated shows that spread out vital plot details from the central arc over many episodes while also devoting about half the eps to smaller, self-contained stories. The result is that you just about have to watch it more than once to truly understand it. Which, IMO, is one of the things that has hindered GITS from being more popular. It does not try to make itself accessible. It doesn't patronize its audience by spoon feeding them. And there's so, so much subtext. Much like how Blade Runner is simultaneously a gripping sci-fi thriller and also a deeply felt philosophical contemplation on "cogito ergo sum."

Frankly, my expectations for Hollywood doing this justice are fairly low. I had high hopes 10 years ago when I read Spielberg bought the rights but I don't think he had any involvement with it beyond it being a Dreamworks product.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-29-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Here it is

Depeche Mode. Interesting choice.

^Looks like I need to get caught up on this.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

a hotter matrix?

That trailer has a lot of shot-for-shot recreation of scenes from the original film. They even recreated the film's intro sequence complete with Kenji Kawai's awesome theme music. It looks right, feels right. I feel like Hollywood might not screw this one up too badly.

Last edited by neckdeep; 11-16-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Saw the anime a long time ago.
    Didn't know they were still developing the story.
    It's visually stunning.
    I'm intrigued!

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Saw the anime a long time ago.
    Didn't know they were still developing the story.
    It's visually stunning.
    I'm intrigued!
    There are two theater released films, GITS and Innocence. There's two seasons of excellent television series, GITS: Stand Alone Complex and GITS: 2nd Gig, that contains two long form narrative arcs, The Laughing Man and The Individual Eleven, intertwined with stand alone episodes. The series concluded with an OVA film, GITS: Solid State Society, for a total of around 26 hrs of material. The TV material was also reedited to release Laughing Man and Individual Eleven "films" that are stripped of all the stand alone episodes, if that's the way you want to watch it. In 2014, the franchise rebooted with 5 hour long episodes and a new film, which is just the conclusion to the previous five hours; its basically a 7 hour OVA film in six chapters. The new material, GITS: Arise, is a prequel detailing the Major's backstory and the events leading to the formation of her unit, Section 9. It's a prequel but its also a reboot because the Major's backstory is substantially changed from the sparse details we are given in the TV series. The reboot also reflects the Japanese anime market's current, all-consuming fixation with "moe" (look it up). As you are female, Choi, you might be put off by the way Major Kusanagi's super badass female character is often visually undermined with a character design that wanders into outright "fan service". I'd point out, though, that the commodification of the human body is a central theme throughout all the GITS material. There's some skin, but its synthetic skin.

Bottom line: 99.5% of Japanese anime is complete crap but GITS is an exception; it is second only to Blade Runner in the cyberpunk genre. The Wachowski sisters were so heavily influenced by GITS that they copied elements for The Matrix and then, in a final tribute to the Major, they both cut their dicks off. I still can't wrap my head around that one.

"Critical analysis

Much critical attention has been paid to the film's focus on sexuality and gender identity.[42] Sharalyn Orbaugh has noted that the opening scene of Ghost in the Shell begins with the "perfect paradoxical introduction to a narrative that is all about the nature of sex/gender identity and self-identity in general in a future world where sexual reproduction has given way to mechanical replication."[43] Motoko's female identity and appearance are countered by an autonomous subjectivity, resulting in a "male" cyborg body which cannot menstruate.[44][note 1] Orbaugh describes the juxtaposition of the opening scene depicting the creation of Motoko's body and to her lack of menstruation as setting the theme of "reproductive sexuality in a posthuman subject."[44][note 2] The film depicts Motoko's identity and ontological concerns, ending with the evolution of a being with full subjectivity, through a new form of reproduction with the Puppet Master.[44] Austin Corbett commented on the lack of sexualization from her team as freedom from femininity, noting that Motoko is "overtly feminine, and clearly non-female."[46] Carl Slivio has called Ghost in the Shell a "resistant film", due to its inversion of traditional gender roles, its "valorization of the post-gendered subject", and its de-emphasis of the sexual specificity of the material body.[47]

Cultural impact

Ghost in the Shell influenced a number of prominent filmmakers. The Wachowskis, creators of The Matrix and its sequels, showed it to producer Joel Silver, saying, "We wanna do that for real."[48] The Matrix series took several concepts from the film, including the Matrix digital rain, which was inspired by the opening credits of Ghost in the Shell, and the way people accessed the Matrix through holes in the back of their necks.[49] Other parallels have been drawn to James Cameron's Avatar, Steven Spielberg's AI: Artificial Intelligence, and Jonathan Mostow's Surrogates.[49]"
    Last edited by neckdeep; 11-16-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Fan of both the movies and the series (haven't watched "Arise" yet.)

This looks good.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Yes please

Looks serviceable, though Bato man... idk

The first wave of reviews sure are discouraging. Consensus seems to be the film looks really awesome but the rewritten material puts too much emphasis on a new origin story, mostly in service of setting this up a franchise launch.

Yah - lot of disgruntled anime nerds; I'm going in with low expectations.

Certainly not completely true to the original plot, but more than enough carry over for me -
    If you haven't seen the original anime, you're in for a treat. 7.8/10

interesting think piece on the film (does contain a few spoilers):

http://www.vogue.com/article/how-to-...t-in-the-shell
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en