Travelling to Canada by Air

Hi,

I am going to fly to Vancouver this season (visiting Whistler).
    I am planning to take my skis (2 pairs) with me in Dakine double ski bag (padded) (http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-bags/d...le-bag-15.aspx).
    But I've read somewhere on line that airline flying to Canada do not accept ski/boards in anything else, but ridged cases (similar to sportube).

Did anybody had an experience flying to Canada with 2+ pairs of the equipment and not using ridged case?

Thank you for answer(s).

P.S. Admins, if I post to the wrong forum, could you just move me to the right one, please?

Quote Originally Posted by tanoleg View Post
    Did anybody had an experience flying to Canada with 2+ pairs of the equipment and not using ridged case?
    I never had an issue with my non-ridged ski bag with 2 pairs and a shit load of stuff for a total of 50lbs. Flying to, from and inside Canada.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

I flew to BC last year on Air Canada and had the same worry. The gate agent basically said the airline won't guarantee safe baggage handling of sports equipment packed in soft cases, but would still ship it.

Is Air Canada notoriously bad for equipment or airline isn't mattering

I've been flying skis in and out of Canuckistan for over 25 years and have never used a hard case and never had skis or poles broken. Part of it may be my strategy of generally having 2 sets of skis, avy pack, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, shovel, probe, well basically everything that will fit in that bag that is remotely ski related and packing it in there so tight (with the skis in the middle of the package) that it's basically fully rigid (and 55lbs even).

There you go little buddy. I've fixed your life.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

If it seems like a problem you could fly to Bellingham non-stop from several places in CA on Allegiant and rent a car here. Our airport is just under 50 miles south of Vancouver's. Of course Allegiant has it's own set of irritations but non-stop is nice as is flying to a smaller airport.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Travelling to Canada by Air

Zink
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I have the same bag and I hate it because it adds like 10 pounds before you even put skis in it. Anyway, I've flown in and out of Canada from the states with that bag on many different airlines (Air Canada last Feb.) with it with no issues. That bag has been to and fro Vancouver several times, and Calgary several. I do throw as much in there as I can until I hit 50#, which usually is just some baselayers and maybe some gloves/socks over the tips and tails of the ski.

You'll be fine. Your skis will be fine. You'll have a great trip

Quote Originally Posted by tanoleg View Post
    Hi,

I am going to fly to Vancouver this season (visiting Whistler).
    I am planning to take my skis (2 pairs) with me in Dakine double ski bag (padded) (http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-bags/d...le-bag-15.aspx).
    But I've read somewhere on line that airline flying to Canada do not accept ski/boards in anything else, but ridged cases (similar to sportube).

Thank you for answer(s).

P.S. Admins, if I post to the wrong forum, could you just move me to the right one, please?
    It depends on the airline, I've flown Air Canada and Westjet from Ottawa to Vancouver with soft-sided bags and they never said anything against it. Pad them with outerwear and stuff and you should be fine.

IME the bigger problem would be Air Canada leaving your skis off the plane to save weight because they are flying cargo or have the plane configured so it can't carry all the weight the passengers can bring

last Japanuary they left all my buddys shit in smithers, fortunately it caught up with us before we crossed the pond

I always carry on my ski boots in my day pack
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-29-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    IME the bigger problem would be Air Canada, period
    Since nobody has said it yet, the biggest problem is Air Canada, they suck.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I used my PMGear double bag last year on Air Canada without a problem. Well, my bag didn't make the connection in Montreal but it was delivered to our place in whistler that night.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Ya dude your^^ skis were bumped for some cargo!

Flying Into Smithers we get 30 heli/cat/BC skiers a week in winter and a shit load of steel head fisherman right now

Suggest you do what the smart guys do ...take the Gulfstream

Air Canada where the motto is "WE are not happy until YOU are not happy!"

Flew my family of 4 from Calgary to Palm Springs and back this summer for just over $1000. That includes all the extra B.S. costs and taxes. And it wasn't even a sale or anything. In my wildest dreams, I could never get my family to Van from Smithers ONE WAY for that price. Ergo, if you are flying to Smithers my friend, i would recommend you assume the position and have plenty of lube on hand. Unless money is not at all an issue, do the Terrace or P.G. thing mentioned above.

Phillioine Air: NYC to YVR for $350 RT
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

I flew to Bali for 1459$ on a flight originating in smithers for the whole thing so if you can get the smithers leg as part of the flight it's not bad otherwise ... your choices are KY or Vaseline

FWIW I had no problem flying air canada with soft cheap-ass ski bag. Put my skis and poles in, and stuffed the shit out of the rest of it with spare clothes. Bring your boots carry-on.

I'll pay extra to take west jet rather than air Canada if there's an option. The experience is night and day

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'll pay extra to take west jet rather than air Canada if there's an option. The experience is night and day
    Absolutely...

If you had a good flight with AC ... It was an accident.
    I heard from a flight attendant that AC might put a larger dash 8 on the smithers run that can carry the passengers AND their baggage

Quote Originally Posted by robgoose View Post
    Phillioine Air: NYC to YVR for $350 RT
    When? I'm assuming you are talking about Philippine Air.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

I have had worse experiences on Westjet, I know others have the hate for AC strangely it works the other way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    I have had worse experiences on Westjet, I know others have the hate for AC strangely it works the other way for me.
    I agree, I've never had any issues with AC and I generally flight with them most of the time. I never any issues with a few others like KLM, British Airways and Air New Zealand also.

On my less-than-satisfactory list, although I haven't flown much with some of these, I would include United, Northwest and Air Transat.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

I have not had any bad experiences with Air Canada as far as customer service is concerned. It's the fact that they have us by the balls (price wise) here in Smithers that makes me dislike them.