Page 125 of 184 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 4591
    Did Red Lake Peak this morning. Good run but it was probably an hour past ideal to descend at 11am.

You people with your bluebird skies and perfect corn and sun warmed granite make me sick (with jealousy).
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis;
    [ATTACH=CONFIG
    202428[/ATTACH]

I usually drop my (especially when ski loaded) pack to poop ....

Castle looks primo - might hit it to reminisce this Thursday .......

Damn ...... shot and missed. Blame it on the gin (first G&Ts of the Spring).

Carson corn was served up no doubt! Many thanks for the lift. And many good turns had.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I usually drop my (especially when ski loaded) pack to poop ....

Castle looks primo - might hit it to reminisce this Thursday .......

Damn ...... shot and missed. Blame it on the gin (first G&Ts of the Spring).
    When you gotta go you gotta go.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Flagpole today. Decided to take the long way around...sporty! Of course no photos of the corn harvest, but some before and afters.

The gal in this shot is an old college friend. Small e world.

Quote Originally Posted by 45hill View Post
    I would quit skiing if I had to wait in that line. It really makes me appreciate 395 as the road in and out of Mammoth. The 88 sucks even worse. I was three cars behind a head on a few weeks ago. There is no where for the people to go but off the bank and into the other lane. How that road doesn't just accordion shut is also beyond me. The 80 was easier but out of the way.
    As for the lines, yeah, I really don't get it.
    At the beginning of winter, folks were talking about sitting in traffic for hours to go a few miles down in South Lake.
    Here I see people posting about hours just to get from 80 to Squaw.
    Was in Truckee a few weekends ago and thought I'd swing by N* for a few hours of free skiing until a buddy told me I had to be there at 8 to get parking (!!) Sorry dudebro, I like my sleep. And not idling for hours to get to a goddamned parking lot.

I'm not that hardcore, there's just no fucking way I'm doing that. For ANYTHING. Drove up 80 a few weekends ago and sat in the chain control line for 30min but it was otherwise okay. That's about my limit, and it sounds like that's as *good* as it gets.

Totally disagree on 88 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I've driven 88 over a 100 times in storms. It is not so bad. Be smart, once in a caravan give space. Arrive early, leave early. Slow for the black ice turn coming down to Silver when heading toward the Spur. Be ware of pinball alley when venturing over the Pass. Done.
    Yeah, I'm spoiled because I have a place to stay at KW, but seeing what the 80/50 (and even just 89 to Squaw/Alpine) crowd deal with on a weekly basis is simply nuts. I wouldn't do it. 88 isn't a problem -- except this year. This year is only the 2nd time I've had to drive around to avoid a Spur closure, and it meant it took me 5h to make it from the bay area, vs the usual 3-3.5. *shrug* If the Spur's not closed, it's an easy drive, no traffic to speak of, doesn't get jammed up, no insanity.
    Well, except the jackhole doing 20mph down the hill with hazards on, refusing to pull over to let folks pass for 30min until I could get a sorta-not-sketchy sightline for an 8 car pass move. I think once I went by at 90, the folks behind them decided to man up and figure out how to make a pass too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    KW was absolutely empty today. If you strayed a few yards off the few runs they had groomed (another Vail cut back it seems) you could have lunch for a half hour and see maybe three people go by.
    This too. None of those ridiculous lift lines I keep seeing posted from the "major" resorts.

Just got back from a week in Whistler. Holy crap, huge respect. Having a view of the mountain from our rental meant you could keep an eye on the cats.. you could often see 6 cats at once just from our vantage point. They started as soon as the mountain closed, and what I could see from the occasional middle-of-night piss breaks, they went ALL NIGHT LONG.

i like guessing where TahoeBC has skied. That last one has me scratching my head though.

Talking to my brother who was at Heavenly this past weekend while I was at Kirkwood, it was like we were at two different planets. His was in line after line...from trying to get buddy tix, to line for gondola, to say screw it and then drove to Cali lodge, to him ending up parking on Ski Run to wait in line for a bus. This was all before he even rode a chairlift.

At Kirkwood, just run after run skiing right up to the lift...with maybe a few people in line on Chair 4 when the sun was making the backside ski gloriously. Yes, that lift is slow as shit. 2:59 drive time from Hayes Valley, SF on Sat morning to 3:30 total return drive with a stop on Sunday afternoon. The negatives are that there are no rumored plans for infrastructure improvements, mountain improvements, etc. The people that I have talked to said its like they are the bastard child of Vail...they buy Whistler, they buy Stowe...but can't open the outdoor bbq in the Village. Its just sitting there all rusted and tweaked from not removing snow.

My wife really wants to do a ski lease at Squaw next season (infrastructure/restaurants/yoga studios/99% of all our friends are on N. Lake) of and the one thing I'm worried about is the drive. I'm stressed thinking about it now. Of course, first world problems...but still. Looking for walking distance to the lifts next winter (avoiding car at all costs) if anyone has any beta or knows anyone.

It seems like Vail doesn't even really want Kirkwood. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell it within the next few years. There is no golf course, no big areas for lodging, no summer interest...no money for them.

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

Reid- you know Northstar opens at 8:30 right? And the lower gondola around 8 to get to mid mountain? So getting there by 8 kinda makes sense.

Casey- I may be up for swapping houses some weeks/weekends with my place in Truckee next winter if you don't want to fully commit to a ski lease. I'd like to mix it up and spend some time on the other side of the lake now and then. I've only been to KW once this year. Granted it's not walking to the lifts but if you hit 89 early it's not that big of a deal... most of the time.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Reid- you know Northstar opens at 8:30 right? And the lower gondola around 8 to get to mid mountain? So getting there by 8 kinda makes sense.
    Yeah, I'm just lazy and like to do things on my own schedule. I'm not used to *having* to be somewhere by a certain time. Normally I just get on the hill when I feel like it, particularly when I'm just looking to get in a few turns for the hell of it.

It's a bit different if you're trying to get first tracks on a powder day of course.

Had a pretty good time this past weekend poking in and around Kirkwood. Highlights being Thunder Bowl and West Shore for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    My wife really wants to do a ski lease at Squaw next season (infrastructure/restaurants/yoga studios/99% of all our friends are on N. Lake) of and the one thing I'm worried about is the drive. I'm stressed thinking about it now. Of course, first world problems...but still. Looking for walking distance to the lifts next winter (avoiding car at all costs) if anyone has any beta or knows anyone.
    I'm in Sac, I leave for Squaw at 6am latest and will arrive ~8:30 to an already filling lot. I leave at 6:30am I arrive at ~9:30 and park out of the lot. Any later and you're headed to the bar... not the bar at Squaw of course because you won't find a spot.

My point is it's doable if you're on top of getting out of the house. My car is packed the night before, wake up, make coffee, and I'm out. Downside? It really cuts into my nighttime drinking, heh.

Not sure what pass for next year, but the great part about sailing up 80 is the multiple lanes..
    A ski lease up Fri & back Sun sounds chill. I'd do it if I had the bills
    Last edited by Microcosm; 03-15-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Dont do it, you will be sad. 80 is a full on fuck show. 80% of my weekends involved a 3hr drive to sac from Sugar Bowl.

Kirkwood is definitely the red headed step child of Vail. It seems like the opposite of Heavenly. Kirkwood seems to be more crowded on midweek powder days than on weekends with nice weather but no new snow when Heavenly is packed.

I do wish they ran the outdoor BBQ but I kind of like Kirkwood the way it is. If you add a bigger village with restaurants, bars, yoga, golf course etc. and upgrade the lifts then there will be more crowds and traffic/accidents on 88 eliminating what makes Kirkwood special. Vail has enough "Vail resorts" and I think one "different" resort in Tahoe is not a bad thing for their portfolio.

That being said, improving the grooming/snow cats and adding a few more food options wouldn't be a bad thing but I doubt that it's a priority for Vail since Kirkwood isn't a big money maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Dont do it, you will be sad. 80 is a full on fuck show. 80% of my weekends involved a 3hr drive to sac from Sugar Bowl.
    What time do you leave in the am?

& if you don't mind sharing.. what was your issue with the Bibbys and what are you movin to? Too damn rockered?
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Don't limit yourself to walking distance. Once you're in the valley, it's not a bad drive traffic-wise to the parking lots, particularly if you have to go early enough to drop kids off for ski team. If you absolutely must be walking distance, I'd suggest trying to rent a condo in the village proper, or a place west of the post office. Any further out and you're walking on Squaw Valley Road, which isn't something I've seen people do.

In every year but this year, we've left the city (I thought we lived close to you, after seeing one of your rooftop shots showing the Shell station, but you may be closer to the highway if you're in Hayes Valley) around 7:30 PM on Friday and had zero traffic on a three hour drive to Squaw. This year, we've been leaving later (8 or 8:30 PM) and the drive has been 4 hours on average, with some taking much longer due to stupid traffic in Fairfield/Vacaville/Davis, to say nothing of the mudslide shibacle. We do about the same on the return, leaving after dinner and getting back to the city around 10:30 PM. Speedo set to 74 mph whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Don't limit yourself to walking distance. Once you're in the valley, it's not a bad drive traffic-wise to the parking lots, particularly if you have to go early enough to drop kids off for ski team. If you absolutely must be walking distance, I'd suggest trying to rent a condo in the village proper, or a place west of the post office. Any further out and you're walking on Squaw Valley Road, which isn't something I've seen people
    FWIW they do plow the bike path in the valley these days. So unless it's stormy you can have a nice place to walk and not dodge cars.

Talking to my brother who was at Heavenly this past weekend while I was at Kirkwood, it was like we were at two different planets. His was in line after line...from trying to get buddy tix, to line for gondola, to say screw it and then drove to Cali lodge, to him ending up parking on Ski Run to wait in line for a bus. This was all before he even rode a chairlift.

At Kirkwood, just run after run skiing right up to the lift...with maybe a few people in line on Chair 4 when the sun was making the backside ski gloriously. Yes, that lift is slow as shit. 2:59 drive time from Hayes Valley, SF on Sat morning to 3:30 total return drive with a stop on Sunday afternoon. The negatives are that there are no rumored plans for infrastructure improvements, mountain improvements, etc. The people that I have talked to said its like they are the bastard child of Vail...they buy Whistler, they buy Stowe...but can't open the outdoor bbq in the Village. Its just sitting there all rusted and tweaked from not removing snow.

Sugar Bowl
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Had a pretty good time this past weekend poking in and around Kirkwood. Highlights being Thunder Bowl and West Shore for sure!

Great video,
    Observation. when your sluff is beating down you down the hill, = PUSS

Just Sayin
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

This helps me put the negative issues there in perspective a bit. At least it is rarely crowded and you can often roll right on to the lift. I was there Thurs-Sun, and the place was an absolute ghost town the first two days. I wish they could attract more people mid week to raise revenues and funds. It seems emptier than I recall mid week non pow days were 10 years ago. I recall bustling days during March with all the spring break activities, special olympics, etc. Now it is just spooky empty.

Staying walking distance to the lifts was nice, eh? We are down valley, between Merril and Fremont, just off Kirkwood Meadow Drive. Usually take the shuttle, but walk or drive over for powder day line ups. Even though it is too far for the kids to walk, it is still way easier than driving to/from SLT. I'll let you know if I get traction on a new lease.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    It seems like Vail doesn't even really want Kirkwood. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell it within the next few years. There is no golf course, no big areas for lodging, no summer interest...no money for them.
    I would be happy with that. We would go back to people deciding if they want to ski KW, or else where. Feels like the vibe has changed over he past three years. More arguements and yelling on the travers, way more traverse lines, more garbage in the lots, etc. This past weekend, I watched a whole crew traverse into Jims and claiming. Someone else posted video of themselves shanking turns down Once. Sometimes a too fat year ruins things.

Like this. Fun. Wish my kid went to all stars that day.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Kirkwood is definitely the red headed step child of Vail. It seems like the opposite of Heavenly. Kirkwood seems to be more crowded on midweek powder days than on weekends with nice weather but no new snow when Heavenly is packed.

I do wish they ran the outdoor BBQ but I kind of like Kirkwood the way it is. If you add a bigger village with restaurants, bars, yoga, golf course etc. and upgrade the lifts then there will be more crowds and traffic/accidents on 88 eliminating what makes Kirkwood special. Vail has enough "Vail resorts" and I think one "different" resort in Tahoe is not a bad thing for their portfolio.

That being said, improving the grooming/snow cats and adding a few more food options wouldn't be a bad thing but I doubt that it's a priority for Vail since Kirkwood isn't a big money maker.
    Some base improvements would not be horrible. It would take a lot to make the place crowded, including building and filling more beds and/or multi level parking garage. There is just not enough space to park all the cars wanting to come in on busy days. Keeping it different is key, IMO. They could actual sell that if they were smart enough. But they have tried to homogenize into Vailnilla. That is what killed the Inn and Bubs.

To make it work as part of the Vail family, they need to put some money into infrastructure. Otherwise the Epic crowd won't come. It is fine that the road closes, but they need to be prepared to take car of their lodging customers that are in the valley. They ran out of food during one of the last few storm cycles. I've worked in food service most of my life, and spent several years in the education sector. We kept 21 days in inventory, meaning we would be able to create some sort of meal for our students for 21 days in the case of an emergency or natural disaster. This does not require a lot of space, as most food is kept in dry storage. How a resort can't make it through five days is beyond me. BTW, this is not a new problem, it existed pre Vail.

A few upgrades to lifts and services would mitigate the boom/bust to KW. Packed on a advertised powder day, half as many the next, empty the next. I skied between Xmas and New Years and never waited in line. That is absurd. It was blue bird, mid 20s, loose tracked and packed powder, filled in - basically Epic* conditions , and Vail could not attract customers. BTW, that KW Only Pass, w/o black outs is pretty awesome if you like to ski that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    FWIW they do plow the bike path in the valley these days. So unless it's stormy you can have a nice place to walk and not dodge cars.
    Truth. But you have to cross SVR to get there, both ways. Squaw only occasionally has employees out there to help you cross the two lanes of inbound traffic. Not a big deal if you're an adult, but (and I'm pretty sure Skier666 is in the parent crowd), not so great when you're wrangling small children AND ski gear at the same time.

On the plus side, Squaw is piloting Chariot (without promoting it, which, huh...) in the Valley. Apparently you can get free Chariot rides to and from anywhere in Squaw or Alpine. But only on select weekends. And there's absolutely no info about this, other than after the fact. One wonders if KSL is trying to gather data to show that a shuttle to replace surface parking wouldn't be used by valley residents...

Anyone going to Telluride? Anyone need a 2 day pass (hard card)? Cheap.
    To hell you ride! Origin of name FYI.