cheapest destination / accommodation

So I'm new to the scene and wanting to get some basic info on where to go for the cheap destination / accommodation. Where is the closest surf spot for a beginner to an airport? Hostel? I would like to avoid renting a car so walking distance or a good public transportation would be ideal.... Speaking of renting, I will need a shop near by for me to rent a board as well. Any suggestions?

cheapest destination / accommodation

PM Rog... Or your Moms basement.

Otherwise try the surf camp in Cabarete, DR

7 nights accommodations, breakfast, dinner and board rental: $295

Food is pretty good, too.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 09-19-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Jersey Shores
    Oh, I guess your trying to be funny? Jersey does get waves, but it ain't cheap and I wouldn't want to do it without a car. Clearly there are better options...

Quote Originally Posted by SPL516 View Post
    Oh, I guess your trying to be funny? Jersey does get waves, but it ain't cheap and I wouldn't want to do it without a car. Clearly there are better options...
    Who the fuck are you?

Go away.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Who the fuck are you?

Go away.
    Whaaa, go eat a dick.

Stay at my beach house in pavones cr.... 20 bucks a night. ac extra 5 a night... you can surf inside the cove n catch the end of the wave... house is 100 yards from the beach...do it... free coffee in the morning.. new bbq for you to cook and full outside kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    PM Rog... Or your Moms basement.

Otherwise try the surf camp in Cabarete, DR

7 nights accommodations, breakfast, dinner and board rental: $295

Food is pretty good, too.
    did you go here?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    did you go here?
    Moms basement?... yes.

Been to the DR many times and surf club several times. Also rented beachfront condos and apt's, too. Cabarete is a very fun place.

thank's been thinking about learning to kite. DR has been recommended the price looks right at that place. what airport do you fly into?
    off your knees Louie

Puerto Plata (POP), then a cab. We windsurfed, but kiting looks pretty good, if not better.

Great beach scene and good places to eat at night, too. German bakeries, etc.

We often used Vela

Go to little corn island nicaragua to kite.... consistent wind every day.... stay at carlitos bungalows. .. thank me later. Shit just head to hawaii if you live in ak... nonstop out of anc.

Thanks! I'll check the air fare to see if it's doable...

I'm like a skier trying to go skiing cheap and I only need a beginner hill. No sense in spending money for world class destination. Closest I can drive to is Westport WA and that's about 7 hrs drive... Might as well take a short vacation and go somewhere warm so I can paddle around every day trying to stand up by the end of the vacation.

Never been to Dominican republic or costa Rica. Thanks and I will try to make it work. I have some time off coming up.

Maybe a cheap flight to San Diego, Ubar to the Ocean Beach Hostel. Board shops there and the pier is maybe a block and a half away. Easy spot to surf at, but there are thieves everywhere in OB, so don't bring anything nice with you. Lots to do and see also.
    Look at the break here: http://obhotel.com/ocean-beach-web-cam
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Thanks! I'll check the air fare to see if it's doable...

I'm like a skier trying to go skiing cheap and I only need a beginner hill. No sense in spending money for world class destination. Closest I can drive to is Westport WA and that's about 7 hrs drive... Might as well take a short vacation and go somewhere warm so I can paddle around every day trying to stand up by the end of the vacation.

Never been to Dominican republic or costa Rica. Thanks and I will try to make it work. I have some time off coming up.
    Cool...

Being on the left side of the continent and believe me, it is way easier to learn in warm/tropical waters so I concur with you on "passing on the Westport" notion, your American dollar will go far in Mexico & Central America. Crossing over the continent to DR or the like is going to soak up airfare bucks, and Hawaii, while considered a quasi-epicentre for the origins of surf, doesn't always get consistent surf due to its abrupt bathymetry - but for beginner style surfing on a longboard, sure, you'll get some foot time on the deck fo' shizzle. However, your USD is a USD there too, and it ain't cheap. SO - scratch HAW if I were you and focus on Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. All west coast locales. PM me if you want some decent surf'centric areas to go to.

Dudes invite to hit Pavones is a sweet deal at $20 a night, but Pavones/CaboMat need swell to fire, and if it's not firing and you're just lazing around in the waters, the rips there can be downright frightening. Move up to Dominical, sand beach, always something in the water, and if it's too big? Go to Dominicalito. Pavones/Cabo Matapalo are also pretty removed from any forms of civilization or amenities compared to other areas in CR. Not a bad thing, just not the easiest place to get out and go pick up a couple sundries.

But ya, Nica, Mexico, CR, and Panama - your dollar will stretch nicely there - the airfare will keep you in this side of the coast, and you'll have consistent waters (and warm waters at that!!) to learn in.

Peace

never know on airbnb