Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deathwish, Jeffrey, Patron...

Looking to fill a "missing spot" in my quiver. Not really missing and not exactly needed but I like skis.

As is, have 180 brahmas as hard snow, bump type skis. 176 Jeronimos (newly) center mounted as a mostly park ski, 187 GPOs as 6+ inch resort ski, 192 Protests as deep storm day and cat ski.

So no, I don't need another ski, but with retiring the Jeronimos to purely park duty in the midwest when I'm not racing, I'm wanting a fun all mountain jib type pow ski, for 1-6 inches of snow or so when hom in CO. Thinking 110~ underfoot, low-mid 180s length. I'm 5'9 165lb, grew up skiing in CO, typically ski with a a more centered stance but racing has gotten me better aquainted with the tips and edge of my skis.

Regardless I'm not looking for a charger, for my needs GPO fits that well enough (really a playful charger but ~). Occasionally take my bro's BGs out as well.

Looking for a fun jibby pow ski to screw around with, hit some kickers, butter, few park laps, etc when there's fresh stuff but not a lot.

Deathwish looks like it fits the bill well, always wanted a moment ski and a triple camper ski. Also seems like it will be fun to carve. Jeffrey (older 110 would be ideal, but who knows if I'll find one. 114 fine too, maybe new kartel 108 but not shelling out for brand new planks) seems right up my ally, maybe a little more jib oriented? Patrons also seem fun, haven't found a ton about it, might not do as well in any rougher spots at the resort?

Just curious what people's opinions are on the comparisons between these skis, who have skied some/all of these
    Last edited by Muggydude; 09-18-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Since you know you like Praxis, why not a piste jib?

I generally like stiffer skis, but prefer the opposite flex on jib skis. I have owned patrons, Jeffrey 114s and similar skis, and they are more chargey than true jib skis. It is great for a daily driver type ski, but like you I had a missing spot for that wide ski that's good in both park and pow, great at jibbing off firm inbounds moguls and BC booters.

Having a large quiver, I like specific skis, and I like my jib skis soft. I filled this spot with shreditor 112s last year, and liked them so much I bought another pair for this year. They have a speed limit, but it's pretty high, even at my 200lbs . They kill it for jibbing anywhere on the mountain.

For reference, my quiver from wide to thin:
    193 on3p cease and desist
    192 line sick day 125
    191 Billy goat
    189 Praxis Rx custom, extra stiff and extra hardwood
    189 k2 shreditor 112
    186 on3p vicik
    189 on3p steeple 102

^ that was something I was thinking about as far as flex goes. I've trimmed down a lot from the past couple seasons (190 down to 164), so while I'd say I'm just as strong/stronger than before, I don't have as much weight to throw around anymore. More float is nice though

Definitely open to other suggestions. As far as softer skis go, SFB, Shreditor 112, mordecai?

Also doebedoe: I love my Praxis sticks, but am looking for something wider than 99 underfoot, and although I think Praxis makes fantastic skis, looking to try something new (jib skis aren't really Keith's focus either)

I was very surprised when I skied my buddy's mordecai. Very nimble, center mounted and much stiffer under the feet than expected, at least in the 192.

I think the most of the published ski tests were on pre-production versions. Line beefed up the production models, and they are borderline chargers.

For jibbing, park, pow and general fucking around, the Surface One Life (or whatever it's called now - Odyssey, I think) is worth a look. Probably the most fun ski I've been on. They're not soft, but are crazy playful due to the short running length and ridiculous rocker. They're basically like skateboards. And they're cheap - about 3 bills brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    I was very surprised when I skied my buddy's mordecai. Very nimble, center mounted and much stiffer under the feet than expected, at least in the 192.

I think the most of the published ski tests were on pre-production versions. Line beefed up the production models, and they are borderline chargers.
    The mordecais seem awesome. Muggydude should definitely try those and tell us how they ski!

Bump. Maybe leaning more towards something like the older sir francis bacon, shredditor 112 now.

Maybe buy the CRJs for $200 from rover doc. Easy ski but still has some float. As a lighter guy now you can make a softer ski like those work.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Shreditor 112s are awesome if you have good balance. It's definitely a noodley, jibby ski, that prefers a center mount, and if you get backseat you will washout the tail. They have so much rocker, it's almost as much as my cease and desist, just different ratio tip:tail. However it's not that much of an issue, and you adjust in a few runs. It's like a softer Hoji, with a little camber, and almost as damp. They actually have a surprisingly high speed limit in crud, you just have to stay light on your feet. It's relatively damp, especially considering its extremely soft flex, and it doesn't translate vibrations or chatter to your body, like armada jjs do. However it's still no crud buster. In order from least burly to most burly, JJ<rocker2 108<SFB<steeple 112<shreditor 112<deathwish>Hoji> then..
    Jeffrey=Patron=Gunsmoke

They measure almost 2cm long, so the 179 is really 181, and could definitely work for you. I'm 200 lbs and on the 189, but have skied the 179s a ton and they rally even at my weight. It's one of the best all mountain skis I have ever skied, but it's also one of the pickiest skis toward mount/ski position. It does not like to be driven, nor skied backseat tail gunning. Stay centered, and youll have a shit eating grin on your face all day long.

Have you skied any of the SFB iterations? If so how would you compare the two

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Have you skied any of the SFB iterations? If so how would you compare the two

The guy in that video is 6'2, 180 plus, on the 179, and he can charge while jibbing with it. He's also a pro tho, so...

I've only skied the old SFB, and only 2 runs.

Blister gear compares the old SFB to the shreditor 102, and call it a wash. The SFB is slightly stiffer, but the shreditor 102 has a longer turn radius. I have skied the 102 and find even though the 112 has more rocker and is softer, overall it is a bigger, heavier ski with more platform for stability. I hate calling any shreditor burly but the shred 112 is burlier than either the shred 102 or SFB. However it's also looser than those skis, and the SFB or shreditor 102 will be better on firm snow.

Still the shreditor 112 handles moderate ice way better than it should. It's an all mountain ski, and it shines in firm or soft crud. Honestly, it's one of the least hooky skis I've ever skied, along with hojis, Katanas, and On3ps RES skis. However handles firm snow better than all of those skis, although doesn't have the speed limit..

Thanks man. I might pick up a pair, seem found a few at a good price. Looking around though really haven't found much on the ski. I might wait to find some older bacons. We'll see

https://youtu.be/FVFQkEFEsLw

Check on Newschoolers, there's reviews on them over there. Google search "site:newschoolers.com shreditor 112"

Muggy, for what you are looking for and are describing I think a look at the Blizzard Peacemaker in a 186 would be worth a strong look... Thanks to Banditman I ended up purchasing the Blizzard Gunsmoke in a 193 for a smoking deal and have absolutely loved that ski... It has actually shocked the shit out of me as to how good it is... With that said several have commented on the ski and most that I know that are on the Gunsmoke also own the Peacemaker and absolutely love it for what you describe... If they would make it in a 190 something it would be in my quiver, but at my size the 186 is to short...

I don't think the peacemaker would be much fun for what I want to do with this ski. I don't need a stiffer ski that can cut through chop and ski hard and aggressive, I really want a fun, soft, playful ski to mess around with, butter, spins, air, etc.

After reading around a lot I'm digging the SFB a lot, Shreditor 112, after that the 110 Jeffrey and moment deathwish, though those might be a tad stiffer than I want (not stiff by normal measures but as I said in the beginning of the thread, I have Brahmas on the hard snow side and med/stiff GPOs on the soft snow side

That is why I threw out the Peacemaker as I can't believe they are any less jibby than the Jeffrey or Deathwish... I own the 190 SFB and for a kick around fun family ski I love it... I demoed both the Shredditor 112 and 102 and was not a fan at all... Different strokes, but they were way to soft...

Muggy, you could always get Praxis MVPs. Granted, they are more directional the SFBs, and more burly than jibby, but they are still quite centre mounted (-6) and playful.

I just think those type of skis will overlap too much with my GPOs

Kitten Factory Razor 115(listed as lazrbladyz on website).

You're welcome!

Faction Candide 3.0 (older version) are fun mini-golf skis. 112 waist.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    The guy in that video is 6'2, 180 plus, on the 179, and he can charge while jibbing with it. He's also a pro tho, so...

I've only skied the old SFB, and only 2 runs.

Blister gear compares the old SFB to the shreditor 102, and call it a wash. The SFB is slightly stiffer, but the shreditor 102 has a longer turn radius. I have skied the 102 and find even though the 112 has more rocker and is softer, overall it is a bigger, heavier ski with more platform for stability. I hate calling any shreditor burly but the shred 112 is burlier than either the shred 102 or SFB. However it's also looser than those skis, and the SFB or shreditor 102 will be better on firm snow.

Still the shreditor 112 handles moderate ice way better than it should. It's an all mountain ski, and it shines in firm or soft crud. Honestly, it's one of the least hooky skis I've ever skied, along with hojis, Katanas, and On3ps RES skis. However handles firm snow better than all of those skis, although doesn't have the speed limit..
    I've skied both the Old Sir Francis Bacons; own the '15 version and the K2 Shreditor 102's. The old SFB's compared to the shreditors have a much more progressive flex. They are not noodles like the 102's and the SFB's in the 190 length are very stable. The 184 SFB's are fairly stiffer than the 102's and are much more versatile. And the SFB's are still fun and buttery.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I just think those type of skis will overlap too much with my GPOs
    False. Owned both (MVP and GPO) Never had trouble picking between them. They are both good comp skis because they're both predictable. But different rides.

My dumb ass sprang for 193 flex 4 MVPs for this exact spot in my quiver. I loved them for all mtn raging, but they were too much ski and too stiff for park, rails, bumps etc. butter attempts on those were funny, both because I'm terrible at buttering and how long and stiff the nose was.

183 MVP flex 2.5 or 3 would be a great ski. But it would also be $1199+

Down TD 110 appears to also be this sort of ski and if you can get in touch with the group buy dude, you may be able to score a new pair at a used price.

(Edit - Please do this - I'd love to read your review)

For now I leave this spot open. Haven't found anything that does both racing league and park/bumps days as well as the 182 4frnt turbo (104 underfoot) Also not much of a jibby ski, not much for buttering, but it's just right for rails, being in the air, skiing bumps and pointing down groomers. No speed limit on a ski that's pretty fun in the park. eBay produces a pair occasionally.

eyeing shreditors, kartel 108 etc, but I might be ok not having anything between 104 and 116 underfoot for another season. I rode caylors in the park a lot last year at the end of some softer laps and had a blast.
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 10-09-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Kye 110 seemed to get meh reviews. But at the 181, it's 110 underfoot. So if you can find a deal, probably worth a try.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?