Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pike Help

Pike Help

I recently booked a trip to go and visit a friend in MN the first week of Oct. intent of the trip in pike fishing and I am total newb when it comes to pike on a fly. My buddy does a ton of fishing but zero fly fishing. Any midwest mags have any suggestions. I have been trying to do as much reading as possible but maybe I suck at the internet or there isn't much out there.

I will be taking my 7wt Recon with me that I have a floating line for and a sink tip. From what I have read it seems people use anywhere from 7-11wt for pike/muskie. I know I won't be able to chuck the biggest flies but should like look for a 9wt for the trip and then turn around and sell with the loss be rental or will 7 be fine.

Fly selection?

leaders for the toothy critters?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.rioproducts.com/products/...re-bite-tippet

Put a snap swivel on the end of it.

Yer 7 will be fine if you can cast. The pike I caught on the Clark Fork were on my 6 for example, and when I really went after them as a kid I used a 7.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I fished an 8wt for Muskie when I lived in MN; it was barely sufficient, but it worked. Long (like 12") streamers are the fly of choice; dark colors on dark days, yellows and reds on sunny days.

Any idea what lakes you'll be on?

^^^I agree with that also. My 6 is like a 7, etc. IOW, the new 7 is like an old 8.

IME a 7wt is fine, musky are a different story so if you're targeting those up it 2-3 wts. I fish a 8wt for pike, strip bigger streamers or even some top water depending upon the scenario. If you are flying into MSP, stop at Bob Mitchell Fly Shop in St Paul or if in the Duluth area head to Great Lakes Fly Shop. Oct is musky time, might be worth the effort.

Im ok with casting the 7, pretty accurate <60'. Never cast anything as big as some of the streamers I have been seeing. From everything I have been reading/watching there is no need to be accurate on the cast like trout.

I think my friends cabin is in Cromwell. Unfortunately we get in late to MSP and head straight to his place so no stopping at local fly shops.

What lake are you fishing? Have a buddy who has a place on Pelican, some big musky on a lake that feels mostly like a party lake.

x2 on the stuff underoos posted

I've had good luck with white, red and pink colors tied in deceiver patterns of varying size. Though I've also had pretty good luck with most things I have tied on for them, like my ugly creations. IME they are not a finicky fish at all, especially when they're in their fall craze.

This is my experience and I know there are much more accomplished anglers here so take it for what it's worth...

I use some Rio saltwater nylon tippet (non braid), I have never lost a fish due to a bight on that.

Sometimes I'll lose some streamers to pike when trout fishing in the Yampa, when using 2x floro. This makes me think that I can get more hook ups using the more subtle tippet. I have used rio's "toothy critter" leaders that have the a steel clasp,cable bite section in the front of a nylon butt. I think this is a stout setup but it seems to yields less takes and rarely will I pick up a trout with this method.

as far as rod, it is only for casting the fly. sure pike are aggressive but after that first run then generally roll over. so your 7wt will be fine, I got into this pike game using my trout rod (5wt). Now I use a 8 wt, cause I like to pretend I am in a salty flat casting to baracuda, not entirely out of necessity.

Fly's; big works, sure, but if you're casting like shit and not coming tight on the fly-quick for presentation you may want to fish a streamer that you're comfortable with and can present better. These fish are opportunistic and aggressive. Don't give up on a cast too early, the pike love to follow, so you may get lots of strikes near the boat or right at your feet, it is surprising how far these fish will move before striking.

The biggest pike I caught, I was fishing for trout with 3x tippet with a classic olive woolly bugger (around a sz 8), the 40" fish ate the fly in 5" water less than a foot from the bank I was standing on.

contrary to popular opinion these things taste great. I use the 5 fillet method; one from the top of the back, two on the tail section and the two flanks, it is boneless. I will not mess with eating anything less than a 26" it just is not worth the effort for how much meat you get.
    believe me its real.

Wire and swivel are essential. 8wt is fine. I use 8-10wts with a mix of floating and sinking lines. Just make sure you have a line suited toward tossing big flies!
    Depending on the lake, river/flowage you might be ok staying with a floating line. Pike usually migrate back to shallow water around this time. They will travel to chase a fly so you don't have to their head to entice interest unless it's hot and sunny or really cold.

Thanks for all of the help. Been doing a ton of research, and went to my local fly shop and picked up some large streamers that were recommended (unfortunately travel schedule does not allow for a stop in any local shops). Went with a selection of whites, blacks, chartreuse. Holy shit are big streamers expensive, wish I knew how to tie these seem like they would be much easier than the trout flies I am used to. Seems like from what I read it might be worth bringing some my bass poppers a well.

Im a little concerned about the 7wt Recon and my casting skills but it seems like I don't have to buy a new rod so I will give it a go. I wish I had a line that was more suited for big bugs but my standard WF trout line will have to do and I also have a sink tip line I will take but that won't help my casting.

Im going to pick up the rio wire that Underoos recommended.

Post a tr

Why a swivel? For the action?

I'll send you a handful of patterns if you are not sure you have enough. I'd be on the hook for shipping but happy to send some your way.

Casting big streamers for pike on a trout rod is tough. But I'm a shitty fly fisherman. I ended up casting and retrieving while paddling a canoe. Almost trolling the streamer.
    My issue was the wire leader and dull hooks. Really check your points to make sure they're sharp.
    And pack a big ole 5 of diamonds as backup.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

My dad and his brothers used to catch pike that wouldn't fit in a full-sized washtub, and would leave mounds of leftovers after 8-10 people made pigs of themselves. They used foot-long smelt. Some of the fondest memories of my youth...

Poppers. White #2 poppers on, like, 5' of 15lb mono with maybe a foot or two of 30lb butt.

Use a floating line heavy enough to cast a badminton birdie about 50'. Cast on top of weedbeds. Twitch twitch, pop pop, bam. Wait a half second before you set the hook hard.

Fry pike in 370-degree oil. Yum. Be aware of Y-bones. Learn how to remove them:

Last edited by highangle; 09-21-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this. research continues and I have started to accumulate some flies for the trip.

One last dumb question. I got the wire Roos suggested en route, obviously I have never used it and since I am a knot jong I only use the surgeons for tippet/leader and clinch for flies. Those same knots going to be good for those connections with wire or should I start practicing another.

Get yourself some 15lb Trilene and try to bite through it. Only chance a pike will have is sawing on it.
    I'd skip the steel leader until you determine it's absolutely necessary. They're not piranhas.

Pike Help

Skip the wire IMHO. I have been fishing for pike more than any other fish for the last 5 years. I've always targeted them, I've just switched gears and almost target them exclusively. I run 40lb flouro and run loop to loop connections. Also a loop at the fly for action. Wire causes the fly to sink funky where mono allows it to pause and stay neutral. I mainly throw perch colored flys or surface stuff. Caught 6 on the fly yesterday, nothing over 5lbs though which is strange for this time of year. I usually get a double digit fish per outing in the fall. Even threw gear looking for the big ones. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Skip the wire IMHO. I have been fishing for pike more than any other fish for the last 5 years. I've always targeted them, I've just switched gears and almost target them exclusively. I run 40lb flouro and run loop to loop connections. Also a loop at the fly for action. Wire causes the fly to sink funky where mono allows it to pause and stay neutral.
    Definitely agree with this, the wire is a massive pain

You don't say what waters you're fishing? In Oct in general on a lake in MN if you have a boat you should target green weedbeds and my advice would be tarpon flies, which ones really won't make a difference but Blanton's Whistler works well. But you can use larger buggers and do well also. Aside from the more open water weedbeds, look for pockets and use gurglers or bass bugs with your sink tip and let them die in the open water. Some of the best fun is the smaller rivers. I agree on no wire. Try to keep the fish in the water as much as possible and consider going barbless.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Skip the wire IMHO. I have been fishing for pike more than any other fish for the last 5 years. I've always targeted them, I've just switched gears and almost target them exclusively. I run 40lb flouro and run loop to loop connections. Also a loop at the fly for action. Wire causes the fly to sink funky where mono allows it to pause and stay neutral. I mainly throw perch colored flys or surface stuff. Caught 6 on the fly yesterday, nothing over 5lbs though which is strange for this time of year. I usually get a double digit fish per outing in the fall. Even threw gear looking for the big ones. Good luck man.
    so your leader is just a length of 40 lb flouro? How long? I'm going to Boundary Waters for a canoe camping trip the first week of September and planning to take the 8 weight and some tarpon flies and give this shit a whirl.

Just use an 8” piece of 40 pound flouro and tie that to the end of your leader with a loop to loop or look up Slim beauty knot.
    Unless of course this is going to be a dedicated pike rod/leader and then it just doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^ Yup