camping at a closed forest service campground

I got a trip coming up, and the campgrounds in the area closed Labor Day. I'm tent camping, and it's USFS land, so I can put up a tent most anywhere, but I got to thinking that it wouldn't suck to have a fire ring, a flat tent site and a picnic table. I usually avoid the developed campgrounds for tent camping because they are frequently loud and crowded, and I don't go to the woods looking to hang out with a lot of folks, but, if my posse is the only one there, well, that eliminates the crowd.

I know the gate will be closed and locked, so I can't just drive up, and the vault toilet will be locked up. If I park outside the gate, walk in and set up camp, do I run the risk of getting rousted (or worse) if a FS employee comes by, sees the truck parked and comes to investigate?

Yes. If one happens by and finds you camping in the developed campsite they will kick you out and possibly ticket you, especially if you have a whole crew in there. Now whether one will happen by while you're there is another question.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It's public land. There isn't a no trespassing sign.

I've never had a problem. Grow a sack.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

It can be public land and you can still get fined if the campground is closed and they have restricted camping there in the off-season. Forest Service has the right to restrict various areas. Just because something is "public land" doesn't mean "all members of the public can enter and do as they please here at any time".

It varies from campground to campground, from ranger district to ranger district. Do a little research on the specific campground regulations where you're going and figure it out. Then, if you don't want to listen to the regs you can not, but be prepared for a fine/being kicked out/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    It can be public land and you can still get fined if the campground is closed and they have restricted camping there in the off-season. Forest Service has the right to restrict various areas. Just because something is "public land" doesn't mean "all members of the public can enter and do as they please here at any time".

It varies from campground to campground, from ranger district to ranger district. Do a little research on the specific campground regulations where you're going and figure it out. Then, if you don't want to listen to the regs you can not, but be prepared for a fine/being kicked out/etc.
    Truth. I did this driving from Longmont to meet my wife half way from Bismarck, near Deadwood, where her brother was going to drive her. I called the ranger station and told them what I was up to and that I wanted to solo camp at a particular spot I knew of that would be closed. For 1 night. In February. Ranger was cool about it. Even unlocked the shitter for me that afternoon.
    I imagine it totally depends on the district and the person.

FYI, violating Forest Service rules carries a penalty of up to $5000 fine or up 6 months imprisonment. I'd looked that up deciding whether or not to pay for morel picking permits. IMO, parking on the gate just an invitation to some county deputy dawg to go pawing through your shit and checking your coolers at 7am. And that could lead to bigger legal troubles than some closed campground fines. Cops check out those places looking for kids partying or hillbillys cooking meth.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It's public land. There isn't a no trespassing sign.
    This is funny, because you know better.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've only stayed at one closed USFS campground. As I was pulling up, the maintenance guys were closing the gate. Told them I only needed one night and was leaving in the morning. They left the gate open for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This is funny, because you know better.
    I also have a sack.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Is it really that hard to simply contact the FS ranger district that manages the particular campground you want to go to and ask them this question? Wtf is wrong with people? Fkn dumb
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Is it really that hard to simply contact the FS ranger district that manages the particular campground you want to go to and ask them this question? Wtf is wrong with people? Fkn dumb
    It's probably not that hard, although I'm not so sure that the phone will be answered or a message returned. I don't expect to get an official response authorizing me to camp somewhere that is closed though, and, even if I get one, I don't think it would necessarily be binding on the local sheriff driving by in the example given above. Therefore, I decided to ask if anyone had experience.

You are as dumb as a post.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I also have a sack.
    I'll take your word on that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This must not be in Montana because around here we're not a bunch of pussies about "camping"

No thanks

I don't eat peasant food

Get a job bitch

Dispersed camping is not allowed within a certain distance of a campground. (I think it is a 1/4 mi)

You can camp "wherever" you want, except in (or near) a campground.
    believe me its real.

I've had both happen. One guy false locked the gate for us and we just locked it when we left. Another time my buddy pulled the "this is public land" thing on the maintenance guy. He said, "If you're here in 30 minutes when I come back through I'm calling the sheriff".