Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Workwear Pants

The regular firehose and logger don't shrink. Ditto on the lined versions.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Anyone try the Duluth Trading Firehose pants?
    They never get soft and really bind behind the knee.

I have the utility denim (double knee) in the diluth. Very nice but to heavy for summer and not cheap @ $65

Riggs Durashield utility (double knee) denim fit my frame the best. On clearance @ Gemplers for $25 if they have your size. Normally around $50. They are lighter than the Diluth and okay if you wet them out.

Summer work pant is "Guide Gear" for me. $26 @ Sportsman Guide right now.

Dickies are okay too.

None of these go with my loafers very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I like Arborwear, although that is mostly on fit. The Arborwear ones I have are tough as nails so far.
    ^^^^ x 10 million ^^^

Arborwear are super tough and have a gusseted crotch for those of us packing 10 inches +.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Mountain Khakis last longer than my carharts, but don't love the fit on either.

Kuhls fit me better, look better and the heavier weight ones last a long time

Nice to see this thread frequented by people other than the cube monkeys trying to look all "mountainy" on casual Friday. I've been through them all and I'm back to Dickies Carpenter Pants. Carhartts are about 3X as expensive these days. Duluth shit is good, specially the flex for lighter weight. As a carpenter, I spend a lot of time without my bags on (as much as possible). I almost always have a razor knife in my size pocket. Some pants, in just doesn't fit right when you are kneeing. Deal breaker.

If you really tear through pants and you don't mind looking like a scrub, tear mender is the real answer. At least half my pant have glue on patches. I've been at the game so long I pretty much have all color match patches.

Dickies have shitty zippers. Carhartts have some bad QC on their fabric supply, some of it shreds quickly, some of it lasts. Arc'teryx? Patagonia? WTF?

If you don't want to look like a scrub, learn to sew. It's not hard. Shirts more than pants get shredded.

My MK pockets fell apart way before the pants wore too much.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    My MK pockets fell apart way before the pants wore too much.
    Mine too. Then my wallet wore through the back pocket, then the crotch wore out. Got sick of asking my mother in law to sew my pants back together. Not a fan, very weak pants.

I stick with Carhartts. Not too expensive, take a beating, I like the double knee for work too.

In my area, most tradesmen I work with wear Levi 505s or Dickies. Work pant's are expendable. No use spending over $40.

Except for electricians. For some reason electricians want pants with the most pockets, loops, buttons, and velcro possible.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Dickies have shitty zippers. Carhartts have some bad QC on their fabric supply, some of it shreds quickly, some of it lasts. Arc'teryx? Patagonia? WTF?

If you don't want to look like a scrub, learn to sew. It's not hard. Shirts more than pants get shredded.
    once again aqua seal is your friend
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Any of these American made? Duluth?

I'm pretty surprised to hear those stories of MK failure. Like I wrote, mine have been great - better than Carhartts. Oh well, it just goes to show that…something or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    tl;dr Why mess with success? Get some more Carhartts.
    The Carhartt's I bought didn't last a whole winter season as a bellhop, but the $15 pants I bought at Target lasted the rest of the bellhop season and the whole summer as a carpenter.
    I wouldn't call Carhartt's a success. Blown out crotch on both pairs - one after a few weeks and one after a few months. Inconsistent fit. Holes in the legs just from the material rubbing on each other in less than a month.

Yeah, but Carhartt can't be responsible for premature crotch wear caused by your prodigious junk, can they?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

over the years, i've had pockets go, cuffs go, knees go, or even just snagged loose fabric on a nail or exposed metal edge, but i've never had the crotch wear out on any pair of jeans or work pants

i'm just a dentist, not a tradesman, but how is that happening?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    over the years, i've had pockets go, cuffs go, knees go, or even just snagged loose fabric on a nail or exposed metal edge, but i've never had the crotch wear out on any pair of jeans or work pants

i'm just a dentist, not a tradesman, but how is that happening?
    Thunder-thighs....

^^^ Yup. I have big legs and 9 times out of 10 the crotch is the first thing to wear out on my pants.

Edit to add: Levi 514's FTW

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    but edgy style that allows frequent trips to the hardware store or to get tacos...the type of edgy style that makes a suburban soccer mom think "now there's a guy who has his act together".
    WOW. Mebe your hubby or BF should stick to wearing the work pants

Yeah, big thigh and prominent buttocks cause a lot of binding in the crotch. For work pants I need a gusset. I blow out Carhart, Dickies, Key etc in a matter of a couple months. I like the looks of Arborwear and the price seems good but it's to easy to buy the Riggs here for cheaper and I can try them on. More consistent sizing than Carhart, Dickies, Key too.

Got sick of duckwalking around in carhartts...mountain khakis fit great but fall apart.. finally threw down for arborwear and IMO they are worth it
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I have a pair of work pants, can't remember the brand, with neoprene knee pads built in. I don't like strap on knee pads (or strap on anything else). The work great. They sell them at BareBones. Mostly I use a couple of pairs of 501s that I bought on line that have white stitching, which I refuse to wear in public. For actual work I wore scrubs.

Carhartt double fronts for years. They work. Never thought twice about em. Construction, landscaping, trailwork, winter fatbiking, spring backcountry skiing. Love em

Thrift Store. You'll find something that'll work there for $3.

this^^ the tree I am cutting down does not care what I wear and the few people with me would give me grief anyway
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Anyone wear Walls? I've seen them along with Dickies as an alternate to Carhartt at a few stores.