Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Volkl Confession

Other than the fact that all their FWT athletes were on the ski this past season, I haven't heard much.

Anyone have time on it?

Tighter radius than the competition....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Good looking ski. Almost like a Katana had a baby with a Volkl 2. Side note, I wish they'd make a stiffer / chargier Volkl 2 in a 190 length and keep the twin tail (confession is flat tail)

Volkl Confession

Ive been hand flexing the 193 at my local shop. Its pretty stiff with a nice low rocker profile. It doesn't feel especially heavy either. Seems like a ski I could own and enjoy.

I wish it was 112mm underfoot instead though.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Good looking ski. Almost like a Katana had a baby with a Volkl 2. Side note, I wish they'd make a stiffer / chargier Volkl 2 in a 190 length and keep the twin tail (confession is flat tail)
    Me too, only I wish they made it in a 205cm.

I find it strange that they have gone with camber. Doesn't make sense in my head that they have hard snow specific skis with full rocker and a soft snow ski like the confession has camber.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I find it strange that they have gone with camber. Doesn't make sense in my head that they have hard snow specific skis with full rocker and a soft snow ski like the confession has camber.
    All their firm snow specific skis are back to having camber (anything 99mm or narrower with the exception of the BMT 94).

The mantra is back to normal?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I am so glad it has camber..

Call me old fashioned, but Volkl's big mountainish ski's were just flat out better with camber. I am happy they are going back that way. Sometimes, you just need to rock what you are good at. Mantra, Gotama, Katana of old with the camber profile were just so good at doing what they were supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The mantra is back to normal?
    Mantra = 100mm

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Noonan View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but Volkl's big mountainish ski's were just flat out better with camber. I am happy they are going back that way. Sometimes, you just need to rock what you are good at. Mantra, Gotama, Katana of old with the camber profile were just so good at doing what they were supposed to do.
    Except that the Katana never had camber...

Amen, brother

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Except that the Katana never had camber...
    Correct, my bad. That is just instinct I think to say those three names together for me.

Volkl Confession

I was thinking about buying this ski, but I filled that spot with a custom Praxis Rx this year. I beefed it up as much as possible to make up for the lack of metal.. I prefer pintails on anything wider than 115mm as well, and the confession is more of a boxy tail, but not too far off from a pinner. I will demo it this year for sure. It looks great.

It almost seems like a cross between a katana and a moment governor, both skis I absolutely loved. However, I'm really looking for that katana replacement, that's a bit burlier with camber. 111ish underfoot, same 193 length. That's when I'll, hands down, give my money to volkl..

What I'm really intrigued by, other than a 194 Belfonte (almost too light), is the 191 Head Monster 108 and new Dynastar Pro Rider. I bet they're beasts, but I can't find the 191 monster 108 anywhere online, although the spec sheets all say they're out there.. Somewhere. Maybe a special order thing from a Head dealer?

I was expecting you to make a confession about something...

Aye. I do like camber too, on skis under 100-105mm but am partial to flat/rocker in bigger skis.

This with rocker, and a mantra with camber would be an amazing two ski resort quiver.

Just my two cents though. Keen to try the confessions.

I didn't want to make a new thread, so I figured I'd ask this here..

Which do you think is more stable? The new 192 dynastar pro rider, or the 191 head monster 108? They both seem like big mtn missiles, but which has more beef to it?

buy those wrens you fool

What sayeth the buzz about the Confessions as winter's approaching? Anybody not into marketing got to spend some time on them?

Searched for facts but came up empty handed... Do they measure true length or along base? Where's the recommended BC relative to TC?

I was a bit intruiged and quite curious from what I had learned about them when an opportunity came my way shortly after my above post... I got me a pair of 193's. Thought I'd post an update here in case others also wonder. They measure true, 193 cm straight tape. Factory recommended is at -11,5 cm from TC with additional lines at +1 and +2 . I went +1 on mine. Tail rocker when decambered is pretty long but not very high.

I have pics incl. unloaded and decambered rocker pics but can't figure out how to upload from phone, relative newbie here, sorry! Any hints maybe?

Flex is firm at the tips but under foot it's definitely not over medium. They're a tad softer under foot than for example the 2014 Bodacious and the 2015 Annex 118 (tips are way stiffer than the Annexe's though) I'd call the tails medium flex for this type of ski, nice and firm in other words.

Volkl website is totally off regarding specs. Weight is 4.7 kg for my pair, i.e. about 2350 grams each. Sidecut is also off, my calculus yields about a 30 m radius on the 193's. I actually do believe Volkl took the Shiro blueprints for each length, shaved off one millimeter from each side, added tip and tail taper and then gave em a new layup and then totally reworked the rocker profile.

Really looking forward to get them on the snow!

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I was a bit intruiged and quite curious from what I had learned about them when an opportunity came my way shortly after my above post... I got me a pair of 193's. Thought I'd post an update here in case others also wonder. They measure true, 193 cm straight tape. Factory recommended is at -11,5 cm from TC with additional lines at +1 and +2 . I went +1 on mine. Tail rocker when decambered is pretty long but not very high.

I have pics incl. unloaded and decambered rocker pics but can't figure out how to upload from phone, relative newbie here, sorry! Any hints maybe?

Flex is firm at the tips but under foot it's definitely not over medium. They're a tad softer under foot than for example the 2014 Bodacious and the 2015 Annex 118 (tips are way stiffer than the Annexe's though) I'd call the tails medium flex for this type of ski, nice and firm in other words.

Volkl website is totally off regarding specs. Weight is 4.7 kg for my pair, i.e. about 2350 grams each. Sidecut is also off, my calculus yields about a 30 m radius on the 193's. I actually do believe Volkl took the Shiro blueprints for each length, shaved off one millimeter from each side, added tip and tail taper and then gave em a new layup and then totally reworked the rocker profile.

Really looking forward to get them on the snow!
    I'm really interested in these as well. On a 193 Shiro right now so assume I'd get the 193 Confession. But if it's way burlier or stiffer maybe the 186 is the ticket. I'm 6ft and 175lbs. I wanted to hear some more comparisons or reviews first.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

When i hand fiddled them, they definitely seemed light. I thought they were stiffer than annex 118s, but significantly lighter. The volkl seems like it would have better edge hold too..

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post

Volkl website is totally off regarding specs. Weight is 4.7 kg for my pair, i.e. about 2350 grams each.!

Fact check alert:

2350 gm = 5.17 lbs

Or

4.7 lbs = 2136 gm

So, which one is it? Regardless, sounds like a great ski. I was hoping the mount point would have been more like -6 to -8 cm from TC though.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Fact check alert:

2350 gm = 5.17 lbs

Or

4.7 lbs = 2136 gm

So, which one is it?.
    Neither, he didn't mention pounds. 4.7 kilograms, or 4700 grams per pair.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Neither, he didn't mention pounds. 4.7 kilograms, or 4700 grams per pair.
    My bad, thanks GregL