Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    My new set up is pretty good.

Looking up

Looking down

Looks solid. I'm assuming you opted to duct tape a dozen mini mag-lites together and are carrying a spare case of AA batteries for insurance?

I welded this to my frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milwaukee-2130-20-trueview-flood-light-7.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	188356

siiiick.

for real, what'd you go with?

I went with your recommendation for the helmet! Thanks!
    http://www.xeccon.com/plus/view.php?aid=27
    Found the wire to not be an issue at all.

Then I went overkill (but not really for me) on the bars.
    https://www.niterider.com/product/pr...enduro-remote/
    The high/low/off button is super convenient.

My eyes are not great, so being able to see well is critical, especially with the techy stuff we ride. And the best is my old lights go to my kid and he's stoked. So, really I saved!...Yeah, my wife never buys that.

I don't ride much at night, but I bought a few of those Bright eyes lights for the kids and I to goof around with. I use a dual set up, one on the head, one on the bar. I crave a better optic. I bought the diffuser for them, which just spreads the spot out in a linear fashion. I have one on my head going left to right and the one and the bar going up and down. I just wish it was wider spot.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

all the lumens

I'm riding almost exclusively in the dark right now, a bunch of masters roadies who like have our fast 50 done before our kids, and the kids we race against, wake up. Last year REI was closing out the NiteRider Lumina 750 for $85, as the 800 (or 850, can't remember) was coming out. I already had one, loved it, and bought another. They're $75 now in all the usual places.

My previous miNewt Dual died when the lamp popped off the handbar and went into the spokes. In addition to severing the power cord, it jacked up a few bladed $pokes too. Although these lights are bigger, I really enjoy the lack of cords. Just pop them off the bar mount and plug them in for charging. I have both mounted to the handle bars which works on the road - and if I turn on both strobes at the same time, cars usually pull over so that I can write them a citation. The real upside of having both lights is that I can leave one on high power to light the road and point the other one down at a lower power and light the rear wheel of the guy in front of me if I'm riding in a group. It really helps with pacelines in the dark... If you're in to that kind of thing.

Anyway, thumbs up to the niterider stuff.

I still run a 2x Fenix PD35 flashlight setup with $5 Two Fish flashlight mounts (one on the helmet, one on the bars). If I need more run time for long rides I bring more batteries in the backpack. Lightweight, cheap mounts, secure, tons of lumens, either rechargeable or disposable batteries that are easily replaced, good beam pattern. Haven't needed anything more in years.

I bought a Revtronic BT40S, and have been really impressed with it's performance at this price point.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I swapped the cheap band-style handlebar mount for a Marwi bar mount and adapter from Hoffman amps. This was the only thing I really didn't like about the light.
    http://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perls...R_ID=135303832

I'm running a Cygolite Metro 850 on my helmet. It's a little heavy, but works pretty well. I like the fact that I don't have to futz with an external battery & cord in my pack.

After borrowing one last night from the LBS I went and picked up a Serfas True 2500. It was like turning on the sun last night. Spendy but works well and I won't be stressed about my house burning down while it's charging.

I'll run this on my bars and then I have a really old L&M something or other that I'll keep on the helmet until the funds allow me to upgrade. This combo worked well enough last night. I was on trails that I've ridden a ton during the day and I felt like my pace wasn't too much slower.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    After borrowing one last night from the LBS I went and picked up a Serfas True 2500. It was like turning on the sun last night. Spendy but works well and I won't be stressed about my house burning down while it's charging.

I'll run this on my bars and then I have a really old L&M something or other that I'll keep on the helmet until the funds allow me to upgrade. This combo worked well enough last night. I was on trails that I've ridden a ton during the day and I felt like my pace wasn't too much slower.
    For fun try switching the Serfas to the helmet mount. Like myself and everyone I ride with you might find you no longer have a need for a barmount. Win-win!

I'm looking for a light right now because my camelbak full of all my bike shit got ripped off. I see lots with basically rubber bands to hold them to the bars and I'm thinking those will wiggle and move when I get a bit of air or hit some rough shit. Am I worried about nothing? Right now my front runner is https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-7...SB-Front-Light it looks like it has a decent attachment system.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Gemini lights. best performance/price option.

Quote Originally Posted by sloken View Post
    Gemini lights. best performance/price option.
    They're held on with a rubber band. you'd think for the price they'd come up with something better than that shit.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

a rep for these guys came on my birthday ride. They are pretty rad, and TINY.

http://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/pi...lmet-light.asp

but spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    They're held on with a rubber band. you'd think for the price they'd come up with something better than that shit.
    Yeah, I have one that's held with a rubber band and it is actually pretty good, although it seems like they could use a better system for longevity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I'm looking for a light right now because my camelbak full of all my bike shit got ripped off. I see lots with basically rubber bands to hold them to the bars and I'm thinking those will wiggle and move when I get a bit of air or hit some rough shit. Am I worried about nothing? Right now my front runner is https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-7...SB-Front-Light it looks like it has a decent attachment system.
    I had a cygolite expilion and was not happy with the mount. It loosened and I could not get it to stay tight. Pretty disappointed with that one fwiw.

My nightrider Enduro failed so I sent it back for repair. First ride after repair it failed again. Not super happy about that

I use a rubber band strap one and it holds great, I ride pretty rough trails with it and it's all good. Just no side to side adjustment but I have it pointed low and helmet light for distance

anyone have experience with the niterider pro 1800 race? getting back into the scene after a good 10 year hiatus.....always had niteriders before with no issues and was hoping the reviews were good on this one.

I was repping MagicShine but they kind of have their heads up their asses and don't know how to operate a business here in the US so I bailed out BUT they do have some really nice lights now and the prices are very competitive. They usually have discount codes either on their own website or on their FB page making the price even better. All the lights and electronics are UL approved now so no more battery fires and they finally figured out the mounts so they won't (shouldn't?) get floppy while riding.

I got a couple Lezyne Macro Drive 1100XL from Wiggle several months ago for like $68 each, shipped. Way better than any other deal I could find on a brand name light.http://www.wiggle.com/lezyne-macro-drive-1100/
    They've upped the price a bit, but still a sweet deal. Arrived in like 5 days.
    However many are in a shit ton.

No special deal, but I have a light and motion urban 800. It's bright. I like it.

https://www.backcountry.com/light-mo...xoCuQ0QAvD_BwE

I've been using the L&M Urban series lights for years and they've been great. I usually run an 800 on the helmet aimed high and on the bars also aimed for range, I also keep a lower powered light on the bar that's aimed lower just in front of the front wheel on the lowest setting. No shadows this way so depth perception is as good as it can be and the little things that leave other riders unsettled don't phase me. When I've run super powered lights things tend to get washed out and I don't feel like I'm as 'on my game.'

/\ That's pretty much my exact approach, give or take a few lumens. Up light for distance, down light a little dimmer and helmet light switched to whatever setting is needed. Down light flashes to/from the trailhead.

Brightest light only needs to reach the next corner, but lots of sources helps. Especially if one if them isn't quite "white."

Like an idiot I left my rear light strapped on my bike last night outside the bar and sure enough it was gone an hour later! I even took the front light off and stuck it in my pocket after locking up the bike. I use the $15-20 stretch attach lights as it's nice to be able to take off during the day, but maybe it's time for something more permanent esp for commuting? Watcha got for ~$50?

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Like an idiot I left my rear light strapped on my bike last night outside the bar and sure enough it was gone an hour later! I even took the front light off and stuck it in my pocket after locking up the bike. I use the $15-20 stretch attach lights as it's nice to be able to take off during the day, but maybe it's time for something more permanent esp for commuting? Watcha got for ~$50?
    Cygolite Hotshot

Bracket mounts to seatpost, light mounts in an easy-release but not very intuitive way. Once the funky release method is dialed, takes no time to remove when you get to your destination.

Light is programmable, choose your amount and pattern of strobe effect.

I've been using one for about 1.5 yrs, works really well.

For headlamp light, I use a NiteRider Lumina 750 and a Cygolite Metro 700. Both (1 on bar, 1 on helmet) if it's going to be really dark or a really fast/techie desecent. Bar-only setup has limitations on switchbacks, and in depth perception. Helmet-only has no switchback limitations, but same depth perception weakness.