What ski for teaching groms?

What type of ski is best to be on while teaching my 3 year old to ski?

I assume soft, twin tip, beater, etc. My 187 GPOs are probably overkill. I've got an old pair of Surface Live Life 2s that are toast that I may just slap binding back onto...

What works? What should I avoid? Stoked to get the little guy on the snow!
    stay outta my line

Taught our two sons at 3& 4 and then our granddaughter at 2. Get something short, like 170 / 175, easier to maneuver around the kids without getting the skis tangled up. I taught all three by skiing along side holding my poles to the side. I had them put their hands on their knees with the poles resting against their chest. I can slow them up or go faster just by how fast I want to go. Personally I never liked the strap type of set ups, I think the idea of holding them back tends to get them in the back seat. Also once they start to get the hang of it you can release the poles off their chest and they are skiing own yet the poles are still there which they find assuring. If they start going too fast you can easily apply some pressure to slow them down. It worked for us, our six year old granddaughter skis just about everything at Alta including hiking into the Castle, Catherine's and Thirds. Enjoy it, watching your kids when they they begin skiing on their own, doing things you didn't do until you were much older then they are is so satisfying.

Short, soft, and twinned for sure.

Lighter weight and narrow is good too. Something you can skate on easily.

Other than that, don't over think it. Those Surfaces are fine. I've taught on short cheap rental skis and twinned tele skis, among others. Both worked well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post

I assume soft, twin tip, beater, etc. My 187 GPOs are probably overkill. I've got an old pair of Surface Live Life 2s that are toast that I may just slap binding back onto...

Whatever ski the instructor is on will probably be fine ... just sayin'.

Buy a pair of cheap 165 slalom skis. As mentioned, they are so much easier to maneuver around the kids.

And since you're on groomers anyway, they're kinda fun when you get to make a few turns.

But really, it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Whatever ski the instructor is on will probably be fine ... just sayin'.
    This.

Thinking maybe Nomad Rkr 181s? Would be a good spring / summer couloir ski also. Anyone have a set they're looking to get rid of?
    stay outta my line

whatever you can pickup cheap at the ski swap in october

I didn't teach pizza cuz kids always lean back and they figure the snow plow out pretty quick on their own ...stay forward & french fry
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Avoid skis with nude women or monsters on the top sheets. (Especially if you're trying to work at a resort.)
    Actually, you'll probably do best with a pair of Sorels, at least to start with.
    Once you start needing skis any ski you own will do if you're just teaching your own--you won't put enough miles on them to make a difference. No need to buy something just to teach unless you're doing it every day.

picked up some Armada ARVti for these fatherly duties. The 6 year old loves laps in the park and the 3 year old is coming along now. Wanted something a bit different than my usual skis. We'll see.

I taught both my daughters on my everyday skis. If you're spending more than a handful of days with them holding your poles, between your legs or on a leash, you're doing something wrong. Spend the extra money on making sure they have the warmest gloves and boots possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Spend the extra money on making sure they have the warmest gloves and boots possible.
    this. And clothing. Your skis just doesn't matter. Spent the last years teaching my kids on almost everything, from Blizzard Brahma through Cochise up to the Spurs. Whatever fancies you at a given day. Don't forget you will do some laps on your own if the little fuckers get tired which is quite often, presuming there is a mother around as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowblade-extremes-ls-6.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	300.7 KB 
ID:	187837

snowblades. why do the kids need to see you ski?
    "Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

170 Liberty hazmats from the swap. They were perfect.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post

Let's face it. You really just want a pair of turny, flippy park skis but you're ashamed to admit it because you think we'll make fun of you and tell you to go to Newschoolers.

you are way overthinking this. whatever you have. My 5 year old was skiing blue runs last year, and only then did I even bother buckling my boots.

Unless your only pair of skis is 130 underfoot, you'll be fine.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy