Sturgill Simpson

Not only making quality country music but also calling out Nashville for its bullshit. Awesome.

KEXP:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpgvolhccNQ

Nashville callout:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/country/...dustry-w436949

His cover of "The Promise" is A+

I always found it interesting how the industry has anointed Chris Stapleton. They'll play his tracks all day and he's gotten a ton of hype. He's no slouch and certainly a great artist, but why just him in what is otherwise a sea of "bro rock"?

Sturgill is the shit! Ive had "Metamodern Sounds in Country Music" in heavy rotation for a bit. His new album "A Sailors Guide to the Earth" is a bit off from what Id call country but has grown on me. Dude has serious pipes and a no fucks given attitude.

On another note... the twenty year old me looks at the fourty something year old me and shakes his head in disgust that I listen to country....
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Listened to A Sailors Guide last night (again) it is a great album that doesn't give a fuck about what anyone thinks. Saw him play 4 years ago and it was awesome. Not only does he rock but the whole fuckin band was A+. It is funny that the rising golden boy of Cuntry got side lined by the same establishment that were blowing smoke up his ass a couple years ago.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I'll admit the new Album took a little while to grow on me but now I totally dig it. Been listening to him for about three or four years now. Seen him two or thee times, unfortunately both were fairly subpar venues for sound.

Last show in SLC was last fall I think. He had a bigger band and it seemed like his sound was transitioning and honestly I didn't think it was as good as when he had a smaller band and the sound was a little more stripped down and raw. Heard some snipits from more recent shows and it seems like he has the bigger band/sound a little more dialed in which is a good thing.

I'll second this. That show at the Complex was meh....but only due to venue in my mind. When he played at the State Room 2 years ago, with just him, bass, drums, and Little Joe, it was rockin. All in all, will see again in any venue.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    I'll admit the new Album took a little while to grow on me but now I totally dig it. Been listening to him for about three or four years now. Seen him two or thee times, unfortunately both were fairly subpar venues for sound.

Last show in SLC was last fall I think. He had a bigger band and it seemed like his sound was transitioning and honestly I didn't think it was as good as when he had a smaller band and the sound was a little more stripped down and raw. Heard some snipits from more recent shows and it seems like he has the bigger band/sound a little more dialed in which is a good thing.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    I'll second this. That show at the Complex was meh....but only due to venue in my mind. When he played at the State Room 2 years ago, with just him, bass, drums, and Little Joe, it was rockin. All in all, will see again in any venue.
    The crowd at that show was maybe one of the lamest I've ever witnessed. Wife, friends, and I were in the horrible sounding drinking section for most of the show but went up to the front to dance for the last few songs and literally no one was dancing up front. It was crazy! Music was jamming and there were all these squares just standing there.

Sturgill kicks all kinds of ass. Been in heavy rotation since meta modern came out and finally got a chance to see him live a couple weeks back. Kick ass show and loved the New Orleans horns in the band.