12mm x 142 through axle

Hey guys,

I have a DT Swiss 350 hub set on my new bike. The front is set up as 15mm through axle, but the rear is 9mm QR. The frame ('12 SC Tallboy) can accept a 12mm x 142 through axle, but I'm a little confused on exactly what I need.

Obviously, I need a through axle like this one.

I also need the hub end caps like these ones.

However, the through axle appears to thread into something and I think the end caps are not threaded internally. What am I missing?

Anybody selling? Any recommendations on a good place to get them?

Seth

The TA threads into the frame/dropout so you would have to change those. Do the dropouts even come off?

The frame is either a 10mm QR or a 12mm TA.
    The 9mm QR frame looks likes this.:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 2.52.24 PM.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	831.1 KB 
ID:	186869
    The 12mm TA frame looks like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-26 at 2.52.00 PM.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	186870  
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 08-26-2016 at 06:33 PM.

I'm pretty sure that the Tallboy was available with either a QR or a thru axle, but it's not convertible between the two. So you'd need to buy a whole new rear end to put in a thru axle.

edit: Dee Hubbs beat me to it.

What do you think?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1472250819.818485.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	468.1 KB 
ID:	186880

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1472250886.203768.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	472.0 KB 
ID:	186881

Looks like the 9mm version, maybe 10.

definitely not convertible to a thru axle without buying a whole new rear end.

If you really wanted to, you could convert the hub and get a slide in, bolt on axle, but it doesn't really gain you anything other than making it more difficult to take your wheel off.

Thanks for the advice. If I'm hearing you right, you can convert to a 10mm through axle, but it isn't worth it.

Front hubs are 9mm QR, Rear Hubs are 10mm QR.
    There is a DT Swiss 10mm TA that would work with your frame. It would make things stiffer in the rear end, and its stronger that the 10mm QR.
    You would need this Through Axle, and these HWGXXX0001803S End Caps.
    In my opinion its not worth the the cost of the upgrade.

How about a 12mm x 135 conversion kit like this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m...r/rp-prod34779

From a performance perspective, is it worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If you really wanted to, you could convert the hub and get a slide in, bolt on axle, but it doesn't really gain you anything other than making it more difficult to take your wheel off.
    my experience disagrees, bolt on axle can make a very noticeable difference on a bike you are pushing hard, my sx trail has a qr rear, bolt on it feels like a mini dh bike, qr it feels like a noodle

2 options for this hub/frame
    12mm hub conversion and 12-10mm stepdown bolt on axle
    or
    10mm hub conversion and 10mm rws skewer

i would do the 12mm just because its more common if you use the wheels on a different frame later on, but people love the rws skewer even though it never really caught on as a standard
    fwiw ive used all these options and others in qr dropouts and currently have a 12-10mm axle on 2 bikes and many friends use them as well, its a common way to convert mtb wheels for dj bikes and the most solid/reliable/simplest setup imo

A bit of a thread drift but do most thru axles have the same thread pitch? I have a worn Maxle I'd like to replace with a DT

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    my experience disagrees, bolt on axle can make a very noticeable difference on a bike you are pushing hard, my sx trail has a qr rear, bolt on it feels like a mini dh bike, qr it feels like a noodle

2 options for this hub/frame
    12mm hub conversion and 12-10mm stepdown bolt on axle
    or
    10mm hub conversion and 10mm rws skewer

i would do the 12mm just because its more common if you use the wheels on a different frame later on, but people love the rws skewer even though it never really caught on as a standard
    fwiw ive used all these options and others in qr dropouts and currently have a 12-10mm axle on 2 bikes and many friends use them as well, its a common way to convert mtb wheels for dj bikes and the most solid/reliable/simplest setup imo
    I think it's a lot different on an SX trail, where the whole rear triangle isn't one piece. Any bike that has a pivot near the rear drop out is going to benefit a lot more from added stiffness at the axle. The difference is probably pretty minor on VPP / DW link bikes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    A bit of a thread drift but do most thru axles have the same thread pitch? I have a worn Maxle I'd like to replace with a DT
    not all maxles share the same thread pitch, idk whats compatible with what, but i do know they arent all the same so do your research

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think it's a lot different on an SX trail, where the whole rear triangle isn't one piece. Any bike that has a pivot near the rear drop out is going to benefit a lot more from added stiffness at the axle. The difference is probably pretty minor on VPP / DW link bikes though.
    fair point, but its still pretty darn noticeable on my dj/4x frame as well, imo its a worthy upgrade for any aggressively ridden bike
    i cant stand most vpp/dw frames so no comment on that application