New Cane Creek Inline Coil Shock

I'm not a Downhill guy, but like getting rowdy from time to time on technical trails. I'm curious about the new Cane Creek Inline coil shock (link below).

For those guys who have experience on both coil and air shocks, what do you think of this new offering from Cane Creek?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/cane-cr...worx-2016.html

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    I'm not a Downhill guy, but like getting rowdy from time to time on technical trails. I'm curious about the new Cane Creek Inline coil shock (link below).

For those guys who have experience on both coil and air shocks, what do you think of this new offering from Cane Creek?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/cane-cr...worx-2016.html

No experience with the CC but I'm sure it's rad as hell. However I just replaced the shitty rockshox air on my trail bike with a DVO Jade Coil and it's sick.

You can't be the adjustability and responsiveness. God I've missed coil.

What bike do you want to put it on. Not all will perform optimally with a coil.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    What bike do you want to put it on. Not all will perform optimally with a coil.
    As soon as I can sell my Ibis HD3, I'll likely end up with the new Mojo 3 with 27.5+ tires. It's a shorter travel bike @130mm in the rear. I'll shoot the Ibis guys an email about the Cane Creek shock. They usually are very quick to respond.

I don't really get it. With better shock technology seeing more and more people going to air on even the rowdiest DH rigs, it seems coils are becoming less of an advantage. I'm personally considering switching to air on both our DH bikes because: 1) weight, 2) adjustability, 3) that god damn Cane creak squeaking where the coil rubs against the black plastic shit.
    I'm probably just not good enough to appreciate what a coil could do for me, but I don't fucking care. I want the shock that I can appreciate with the skills I have. Putting something on my trail bike that adds unnecessary weight and takes away my ability to make quick easy spring adjustments (let alone observe how much travel I'm using) seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Thread is practically ancient, but wondering if anyone has any more recent thoughts on the Cane Creek inline shock. Contemplating using one on my Yeti SB140.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    Thread is practically ancient, but wondering if anyone has any more recent thoughts on the Cane Creek inline shock. Contemplating using one on my Yeti SB140.
    I had one on an old Reign and it was really quite nice compared to the stock DHX-4 air can that came on it. But that might be because the DHX-4 was utter garbage.

Funny to revisit this thread, coils are more popular than ever.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Haha, I didn't even notice the OP post date. Then 4 posts in there is mention of the "new Mojo3 with 27.5" tires." Did I miss something? Ironically I just sold my Mojo3 finally today after having it for 5 years.

So far I'm getting the impression it's not a whole lot better than the DPX2 that I have now. At least not worth the $500-$600 cost to upgrade.

The talk of cutting edge 27.5" wheels made me feel right at home in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I had one on an old Reign and it was really quite nice compared to the stock DHX-4 air can that came on it. But that might be because the DHX-4 was utter garbage.

I’ve never been on one but I’ve been close to buying one a few times. Reviews are pretty positive…

It has its place; If you are trying to put a coil on a bike that can’t take a piggy back… if you are counting grams (I think a DBILC with a third party, super light spring can be lighter than some of the larger air cans)

But other than that - why buy it over the other options?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I ran it on an sb130 I had 2 summers ago. Yeti doesn't recommend coils on anything but the sb165 but they did say a progressive spring on it would suffice. I ran the 450-550 lb progressive spring (I weigh 170lbs) and really liked it a lot, so much so that I transferred it to a rocky mountain instinct the next summer and still liked it. Obviously not as poppy as both bikes would be with an air shock but the progressive spring helped with that, but then in turn it plows through chunky terrain real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Funny to revisit this thread, coils are more popular than ever.
    Right?

I want an eleven six for my Ranger

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    <snip>
    It has its place; If you are trying to put a coil on a bike that can’t take a piggy back…
    This is how I ended up with the ILC.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    But other than that - why buy it over the other options
    From what I am seeing for compatible coil options, they have the most features for the price. Also, I like the stealthy look without the piggyback can on it. I wish the progressive springs weren't all white .

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    I ran it on an sb130 I had 2 summers ago. Yeti doesn't recommend coils on anything but the sb165 but they did say a progressive spring on it would suffice. I ran the 450-550 lb progressive spring (I weigh 170lbs) and really liked it a lot, so much so that I transferred it to a rocky mountain instinct the next summer and still liked it. Obviously not as poppy as both bikes would be with an air shock but the progressive spring helped with that, but then in turn it plows through chunky terrain real nice.
    Thanks for the info!

From what I am seeing for compatible coil options, they have the most features for the price. Also, I like the stealthy look without the piggyback can on it. I wish the progressive springs weren't all white .

Thanks for the info!
    I have a cc db coil that i was running a "race only springs" progressive coil on it. The spring is nice for my linear rate commencal meta 29 but i cant say i recommend that company. The spring is good quality alloy steel but the pom's self destructed in a week. He kept saying he was aware and was sending me his new ones. After the 3rd message and reply i gave up on taking his word on them being shipped. I got some poms from "super alloy racing"(top quality everything and super nice people but they dont make progressive springs unfortunately). Mrp, dvo(green) and others make progressive springs though. If you need poms "sar" is the way to go.Sometimes its worth a look for progressive springs on pb. Not as many people look in the "shock parts" section so they can be a good deal.
    I just got my cc db coil 230 x 65 back from annual service and im selling, possibly with a 350-450 progressive coil. Im running that prog spring on my back up dvo jade atm but thats on my decoy and i dont need a prog spring on my decoy. I just havent switched to the "speed alloy racing spring" i usually use on the decoy yet
    "Fluid focus" in the US is distributing them. If youre in canada go to the source. Quick shipping. Fitment for any shock.

https://www.superalloyracing.com/pro...129-pom-spacer

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

I wasn't a fan of any of the CC inlines that I rode. Those things have a relatively small volume of oil in them (because no piggy back) and they get nuclear hot on any kind of sustained descent. The suspension quality noticeably deteriorated when they heated up, moreso than any other shock I've ever ridden. I've heard of a lot of durability issues with those things too, although I never had an issue personally.