Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    It wasn't the 2.0 that cracked.
    It was the red one. version 1.

jesus. read.
    True - I mispoke - but as discussed, the toe piece design is exactly the same. This is the genesis of this entire discussion on Page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Or under torqued
    yup more likely

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    How so? I don't really have any major complaints about the first gen heels.
    I can skin flat with 2.0. The U shaped heel pins don't allow for any slop, like i had with the first gen. And also, it hasn't exploded like my buddy's first gen. All anecdotal evidence of course, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Or under torqued. The only toe I've ever had a problem with was a dynafit speed. Not aluminum but the ski was thin and the screws needed to be ground a bit shorter. One in the toe wasn't ground down enough and it had a little slop I didn't notice. One day it started to creek and formed a crack on the base plate from that hole
    well how many people check all the fasteners on their skis/boots/bindings on a regular basis, I'm pretty sure a lot of equipment breaks due to loose fasteners so I check fasteners at least once at the beginning of the season or any time the skis are on the bench
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well how many people check all the fasteners on their skis/boots/bindings on a regular basis, I'm pretty sure a lot of equipment breaks due to loose fasteners so I check fasteners at least once at the beginning of the season or any time the skis are on the bench
    Yup. I've been meaning to check the bf machine screws in my dynafits the last 6 or 7 days out. I guess I should do that tonight. I'll forget in 5

Speed Turn 2.0 is available for $192 (w/o VAT) from T-P. Very nice robust lightweight tech binding. Replace it with a B&D Comfort-style top plate and volcano for easier mode changes. With the retrofit it's my favorite tech binding of all time. (I make DIY Al alloy top plates and buy B&D volcanoes.) 1/4" (6.35mm) HDPE shim under toe gets the ramp delta just right for me. You can get the RA even flatter with 3/8" HDPE. If you're in the area, I have lots of HDPE stock in both sizes. I'll also make Comfort-style top plates in exchange for a decent bottle of red wine.

I like the Speed Turn as well, Steve. Trying something new and sexy with the Superlite 😁.

I still want a tour of your shop.

Plan for a stop by en route to May T-way tours bro

Will do. Should be an awesome season up there. 🎸🎸

I'm thinking of the Superlite 2.0 or the ATK Haute Route/Race Tour. Any thoughts?
    Thiking of modding the lifter on Superlite if I get it so I guess something for the ATK as well if I get it. Can't say that I understand the lifters you can buy extra to the ATK, how do they fit? http://www.atkrace.it/categoria-prod...ories/?lang=en

I think the superlite 2.0 is unnecessary. Too much durability is sacrificed for the sake of adjustable release. There are about 10 bindings out there that are lighter and more durable, with fixed release. I don't think I have ever once adjusted my release value on any binding once it's set. I've been skiing plum race heels and I've never felt like I was missing out on anything but weight, and I'd rather not have any more of that.

Yeah, I'd rather have additional riser height options over an adjustable release.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I think the superlite 2.0 is unnecessary. Too much durability is sacrificed for the sake of adjustable release. There are about 10 bindings out there that are lighter and more durable, with fixed release. I don't think I have ever once adjusted my release value on any binding once it's set. I've been skiing plum race heels and I've never felt like I was missing out on anything but weight, and I'd rather not have any more of that.
    What bindings are "lighter and more durable" that feature 1) flat + riser 1 + riser 2 and 2) RV > 10? Agree re adjustable release: set it and forget it. But it's the risers that are tough to find, IMO.

I know of: ATK SLR Release, SSL 2.0, Kreuzspitze GT (durability questionable).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

If you can live without the high riser your options open up considerably... Ski Trab Gara Titans have an RV ~11 or so, flat + 1 riser, something like 115g. ATK has something similar (whatever skimo.co brands as the Hagan ZR / Movement Light Tech) with apparently even greater retention.

I guess the higher risers put more weird pressure on the binding / these bindings have traditionally been marketed to rando racers who never change riser positions anyway? I will say anecdotally, despite fully acknowledging the usefulness of the high riser, I have not missed it on my Gara Titans... flat mode however I could not live without, for extended ingress/egress on snow-covered driving roads.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    What bindings are "lighter and more durable" that feature 1) flat + riser 1 + riser 2 and 2) RV > 10? Agree re adjustable release: set it and forget it. But it's the risers that are tough to find, IMO.

I know of: ATK SLR Release, SSL 2.0, Kreuzspitze GT (durability questionable).
    So I just bought the ATK RT Race Tour and I want a high riser. I can't decide if I want the highest one so I have to turn the binding every time or if I want the high flip raiser.
    Any advice?
    The flip raiser is used as a high raiser when having the binding twisted and covers the pins like a race cover do if you want to do a quick change with no twisting of the heel.
    http://www.atkrace.it/collezione-pro...aiser/?lang=en

With this one you have to turn the heel every time but you get a higher raiser.

^^First of all, I didn't realize ATK offered those riser adjustments, so that's cool. I wish the ATK site was easier to understand what the heel-toe delta and riser heights for each binding were, and which accessories worked with which bindings. Actually, I really just wish skimo.co carried them.

To answer your question, I'm no expert, and it really comes down to personal preference. The 1st one is 15 mm higher and the second one is 22 mm higher than the current riser height. If it were me, I would do some measuring to determine the total current heel-toe delta of my current tech setup in the middle and highest riser position, and decide if I could realistically be happy with the 15 mm one. But the inconvenience of having to twist is negligible if you really like having the 22 mm height. And it says in the description that you can twist with your pole.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-25-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by LawndartGustav View Post
    So I just bought the ATK RT Race Tour and I want a high riser. I can't decide if I want the highest one so I have to turn the binding every time or if I want the high flip raiser.
    Any advice?
    The flip raiser is used as a high raiser when having the binding twisted and covers the pins like a race cover do if you want to do a quick change with no twisting of the heel.

With this one you have to turn the heel every time but you get a higher raiser.
    Looks like the high riser has a hole so you can rotate it with your pole. The problem with the other one (as I understand it's function) is that you lose the lower riser which I would use about 98% more than the high one. IMO the best thing to do with high risers is not use them until you don't miss them. The exception would be if I tended to ski in places (like Utah) with (stupid) steep skin tracks heading straight up from the road.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    The problem with the other one (as I understand it's function) is that you lose the lower riser
    I don't think that's the case. It even says:
    Height 1: 0 mm
    Height 2: 15 mm

photos

Dynafit speed superlite 2.0

I don't think that's the case. It even says:
    Height 1: 0 mm
    Height 2: 15 mm
    Yeah, flat and 15mm if the heel unit is spun backwards? The riser only has one flap. I'd prefer the AL02 for usage with ski pole.

Video of the AL04 riser flap.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVMLW-CufzQ

^^Exactly. The listed heights are what's added to the general first riser height.

But frankly, I think manipulating risers with a pole basket can be tougher than turning them with a pole tip.

photos

^^Exactly. The listed heights are what's added to the general first riser height.

But frankly, I think manipulating risers with a pole basket can be tougher than turning them with a pole tip.
    Very true! It's more the quick use of it when you don't rotate the heel that had me interested but I think you might have me convinced now =)

auvgeek and I mounted his superlight 2.0's yesterday. Getting two OCD types in the same room must be hilarious to the outside observer.

Dawson's template is WAY off in terms of heel location for correct tech gap - as in interference fit instead of a 5.5mm tech gap!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Mount the toes - they're just the radical 1.0 pattern. Click the boot in. Insert the heel pins into the boot at appropriate depth. Make sure the heel is squared off to the ski center. Then mark the rear heel holes, then remove the boot and mark the front heel holes. Drill and mount heelpiece. Done.
    This is a good technique for this mount. The only challenge with lies in marking the heel holes accurately. There's not a lot of working space there.

I drew a template up for the binding. As long as you print at 1:1, you should be good to go - must measure the 4.0" by 4.0" box to ensure you've printed to scale.

Due to lack of heel adjustment and how differently people mark the heel line (I observed about a 1mm difference between how auvgeek and I approach it), a test mount on a 2x4 is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

Here's the link to the template: http://galibierdesign.com/images/other_forums/Template_Superlight-2.0_Thom.pdf

Edit (April 5, 2018):

auvgeek and I adopted a different technique for locating the heel.
    We're using a carpenter's square to line up the heel (ledge) instead of scribing a line at the base of the heel. With sole wear and such (combined with the precision required for these heels) for this seems to be a more consistent approach. As always, do a test mount.

I uploaded a revised copy of the template to reflect this.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-05-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^^Thanks, Thom. You really went above and beyond to help me out with the mount. I think we both learned some different mounting techniques, which was neat. Excited to ski them.

In the way Thom drew the template, you mount the toe by drawing a line 1/2 of your boot sole length forward from the mount point and mounting on the "toe" line (not pin line). You then drop the boot into the heel and mark the length of the actual boot on the ski, and that is the "heel" line. As Thom said above, this may be off by a mm or so (but hopefully consistently); a practice mount on a 2x4 is highly recommended to ensure you're happy with the template spacing. I mounted them on some relatively stiff skis, so I decided to err on the side of small rather than larger heel gap. I think we ended up at about 5.25 mm instead of the Dynafit recommended 5.5 mm heel gap.

photos