Thread: Rear end whine?

Rear end whine?

Hey guys,

Got a new ride last week and have developed a rear end whine that I can't quite pinpoint. I think it may be the RD, to be honest, but have not ruled out anything. Whine seems to occur in just about every gear combo (2x10). Rear hub is a DT Swiss 350, RD (which feels CRAZY stiff when actuating it by hand) is an XT M780 Shadow Plus with Dyna-sys clutch GS (according to the seller).

Sound only occurs when pedaling. Does not happen when the hub is spining by itself. Don't think that it's BB, as I can easily get the sound/feeling while the bike is in the stand, but when I remove the rear wheel, the sound/feeling goes away.

Any thoughts?

Seth

Stiff hub + whine sounds like a seal is out of place in the hub or freehub body.

check rear der jockey wheels spin freely?

remove cranks and spin the BB. No play in it?

Thanks guys - I'll try to check those things tonight.

BB doesn't have any noticeable play. I had a freehub issue with a pair of Mavic hubs earlier this year on my road bike, but the sound was there only when NOT pedalling. This is the opposite, so I'm less likely to think that it's the hub. . . but you never know!

Seth

Yep sounds like a rear hub seal. If there's a rubber seal that spins against the alloy hub body just spray some triflow in there with the seal peeled open a bit. Whine gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    Yep sounds like a rear hub seal. If there's a rubber seal that spins against the alloy hub body just spray some triflow in there with the seal peeled open a bit. Whine gone.
    Nailed it. Took the thing apart, cleaned it, regressed it with triflow grease, and the sound is gone.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Nailed it. Took the thing apart, cleaned it, regressed it with triflow grease, and the sound is gone.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Seth
    My pleasure, glad it worked out!

So... I think it's doing it again after another ~6 rides. Just started at the end of my ride today. Yesterday had a wet and muddy ride, and rinsed the bike afterwards to get the big chunks off. Low pressure. Could this be related?

I'd say lay off the water and do the same treatment again that made it go away. I never spray water on my bike to clean, even low pressure. Let the mud/dirt dry then brush it off.

Will do.