1x11 Chain Length Question (pics included)

I wanted some folks opinions on my new 1x11 conversion and chain length.

I recently converted my MY15 Santa Cruz 5010 to XT 1x11 (from 2 x10) and I'm unsure if I got my chain length correct. I measured the chain on the front ring and the largest cog (42) on the cassette and added 2 links as suggested. Here are a couple pics of the setup in the smallest (11) and largest cogs (42).

https://imgur.com/a/wES86

I took it for a short shakedown ride and everything seemed okay but wanted to got some others feedback. What does everyone think, does the chain seem too short or is it okay?

Thanks!

Looks a little short to me, but I'm wrong a lot so I'll let those more qualified chime in.

no experiance with 11spd but yeah looks right on the smallest cog and short on the biggest cog
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Okay, I added a two more links and it looks better to my untrained eye.

Here's a couple of more pics - one with the suspension fully compressed.

https://imgur.com/a/b4G9c

There is still some forward/upward movement in the derailleur when the suspension is fully compressed.

It looks long enough but to be sure take all the air out of the shock and compress it all the way. The VPP design lengthens the chain when fully compressed. I tend to run the chain a bit longer on my Santa Cruz.

Edit: Adding links did the trick, looks good.

I think its still short. Derailleur should almost be straight up and down. They are on my 1X11

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    I think its still short. Derailleur should almost be straight up and down. They are on my 1X11
    I used to think that. and then a pro bike guy set up my 1X10 and the end result looked very similar to what is shown.

I have the long Derailleur arm so looks even more exaggerated.

I think that's right,
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Too short. You could definitely fuck things up riding it like that. That frame has a pretty significant amount of chain growth as the suspension cycles. If you're riding in your granny gear and compress the suspension, you can max out your chain length and something might have to give. It's not terribly common you'll do this but it happens. Likely you'd tweak your hanger first but it wouldn't be good for your derailleur at all.

To properly set the chain length on a VPP bike (or almost any full suspension bike), you need to let all the air out of the shock and setup up your chain on the big/big with the suspension fully bottomed out. Use a strap to hold it there if you need to. You're gonna end up adding another link or two.

edit: Looks like you got it figured out. Looks right to me now.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try riding it for now and keep a close eye on the hanger for any tweeks.

I think the second photo looks good. The best test is to let all the air out of the shock, compress the frame, and see if there is still movement left in the rear derailleur when the chain is on the biggest sprocket.
    "The add 2 links" sometimes gets messed up because people forget to count the master link. Here is a great photo from Park Tools:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 7.27.45 PM.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	186554
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 08-21-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try riding it for now and keep a close eye on the hanger for any tweeks.
    I think you're fine now but you'll know if it happens. It'll sound like grinding.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    .. Likely you'd tweak your hanger first but it wouldn't be good for your derailleur at all.
    this ^^
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That's what my derailleur looked liked for a few rides, before the hanger snapped and put everything in my spokes.

For my VPP bike (Intense) I go even longer. I usually eyeball it from the littlest cog. Want to make sure there is a bit of tension on it. Then if the Derailleur starts to get played out you can drop a link or too and get a bit more spring tension.

Your first try will end badly (trust me I have wisdom from experience).
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch