Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Oh, and don't forget: you can always start out with bars that are too wide.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Pretty sure you'll have to blow your budget or miss your weight spec.
    Yep. Though, you should just plan on blowing your weight spec and focus on getting quality parts within your budget. Once you get close to or below 29 lbs you won't see as radical gains in the riding experience from purely dropping weight as you will in making sure that your setup suits your terrain/riding style, fits your body, is properly tuned, etc. Being a weight weenie is a great way to spend way more money on a bike than you need to.

I'd prioritize on finding the right deal and right equipment in this order:
    Fork
    Wheels
    Drivetrain
    Dropper

Fork will be trickiest because you need to figure out how stiff you want it - how wide of stanchions, what brand is best for the $$, who will be doing the service, etc.

Wheels, I see a lot of dudes at the local trails who are running chinese carbon rims without issues. No one has died. Lightbicycle is popular; I don't have personal experience yet but I'd have bought a pair by now if not saving up for a wedding. Carbon isn't just about weight savings, it's also about stiffness and damping. Carbon rims do crack, so you want a brand with good crash replacement policy if buying new. Lightweight aluminum is just as easily damaged as carbon, but easier to bend back into halfway decent riding shape if just dinged. Good hubs are not cheap, especially if you get addicted by high points of engagement (or are easily annoyed by how much you have to spin your crank before your drivetrain engages).

Drivetrain, personally I think XT 1x11 is a great way to go. SRAM offers a bit more range if you want to get a 10t sprocket on high gear, but then you have to use SRAM compatible hubs on your wheelset. There is nothing wrong with 2x10 or 1x10 but starting from scratch, might as well go to 11.

Dropper - I don't know where you live, but unless it's pancake flat, you shouldn't think of the dropper as a luxury. Most people here would probably rather ride a hardtail with a dropper than a FS without a dropper.

The rest of the stuff is important, sure, but much easier to fill in with whatever budget you have left.

Bars, stems and cranksets you can get good lightweight items used for not much money, and no you won't die. It's also really easy to buy a used 175mm 2x crankset (like Shimano XT) and then throw an oval 1x chainring on it.

Last year's brakes always seem to be on sale.

Tires are consumables and the 2nd least expensive part of your build, next to grips. There's always clearance stuff online somewhere. I just got WTB Team Issue Vigilante's for $20 on competitivecyclist, for example.

Also, I'm going to throw a luxury on your list. I say luxury, because it probably ought to be your lowest priority.
    Shock:
    Consider looking around for a Fox DPS EVOL takeoff from a stock Santa Cruz Tallboy/Hightower (double check any SC frame that uses the same eye-to-eye shock size as yours) on sale from Pinkbike for cheap. The CTD on your bike is well known to be harsh in small/high frequency bumps; the updated air can and damper design in Fox DPS EVOL shocks coming on new SC bikes is WAY better. Some people are taking these off their brand new frames so they can use coil shocks or reservoir shocks, which opens the door for a great upgrade path for you. I was able to score a brand new DPS EVOL takeoff from a Bronson for like $120. If you find a similar deal, jump on it. You can always keep your CTD as a spare if you ever need to service your main shock.

If you don't want to go through the hassle, at least consider volume spacers for the CTD so that you don't have to under-sag the damn bike just to prevent bottom out. I even have some I can sell you for cheap. You should find out from the previous owner if he/she ever put in volume spacers.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Also, if you are buying from ChainReaction don't get expedited shipping. You are more likely to be hit with customs duty fees if you get expedited shipping. If you don't go expedited, it's still possible to be subjected to the duty fees but it seems like the shipper won't file the paperwork a lot of the time.

edit: also, new bike part prices are generally cheaper now than in winter. A lot of retailers start clearance pricing in July/August so they can make room for fall gear. winter prices might as well be same as spring prices, because no one is holding stock and they are running all retail pricing.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Also, if you are buying from ChainReaction don't get expedited shipping. You are more likely to be hit with customs duty fees if you get expedited shipping. If you don't go expedited, it's still possible to be subjected to the duty fees but it seems like the shipper won't file the paperwork a lot of the time.
    Ordered from them recently, phenomenal really, just got standard shipping which was free and had my order at my door here in the states in under a week! Not sure if there is a dollar value to how those fees are applied but I got a way sweet deal on some pedals for $60, so maybe if your getting into the hundy plus range shit changes??? But I was super stoked!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

AGEED 1000% cut some way too early after switching bikes, forked out another $40ish or so on another pair soon after
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

edit: also, new bike part prices are generally cheaper now than in winter. A lot of retailers start clearance pricing in July/August so they can make room for fall gear. winter prices might as well be same as spring prices, because no one is holding stock and they are running all retail pricing.
    wasn't the limit increased to $800? Aren't orders bellow that limit duty free?

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    wasn't the limit increased to $800? Aren't orders bellow that limit duty free?
    whoa I wasn't aware of that. Last summer it was $200 threshold and duties were at least 10% from what I remember.
    Here's one article, policy was changed this March:
    http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/wil...rtunity/019256

Okay nevermind then! At least consider, make sure you really want it or have an easy path to selling it, because no way in hell will you return it!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

if you use lock-on gripsyou can experiment by moving them around without cutting the bars until you are sure
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Agreed on Chain Reaction... just take their free shipping. I ordered the full XT group a few weeks ago, and had it on my doorstep (in Colorado) within four business days. Ridiculous.

Group sets from Merlin Cycles. Almost impossible to beat if you need cranks and brakes.:
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...set-87447.html
    $500 XT 11 speed with brakes. This will keep you on budget. And there is almost no compromise.
    Save $160 bucks and get a 10 speed SLX group set.
    However many are in a shit ton.

So. . . change of plans. I was about to pull the trigger on a frame and begin ordering parts (which prompted the start of this thread, and I happened to do a last pass through pinkbike for tallboys. Found one 2 hours away within my price range with a bunch of things I wasn't planning on - 130mm Pike solo Air, Enve wheels, KS lev dropper, carbon bar, and XT/XTR 2x10. I bought and rode it this afternoon. Really pleased - wasn't expecting to find all of this in a complete package in my price range in excellent condition. Looks to be about 28 pounds with pedals.

Thanks everybody for your recommendations. My bike build will need to wait for a little while, but I think I can apply much of what was written above to this bike as I dial it in.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-19 21.57.57.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	186490

Whatever got you Enve wheels and a Pike within your price range is probably a great deal! Nice score.

I'm thinking this is as good a place as any to drop this question: Anyone have a line on I9 wheelsets? I'm starting up a new build for my wife and bouncing around the idea of a some Torch Enduros. Would certainly be light, and easier than hunting down parts and building myself........ just hoping i can find something that shaves a few bucks off the standard $1200.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Nice ride Seth! Now, just go straight to that luxury section of my post and look for a DPS EVOL to replace that CTD. Trust me it will go a long way in getting the most out of your ride.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Nice ride Seth! Now, just go straight to that luxury section of my post and look for a DPS EVOL to replace that CTD. Trust me it will go a long way in getting the most out of your ride.
    Thanks! I did see that and will begin the hunt. I may need to let this purchase set in for a little bit with my wife before supplementing it, but I'll keep my eyes out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Whatever got you Enve wheels and a Pike within your price range is probably a great deal! Nice score.
    Yeah... Didn't see that one coming. Feel incredibly fortunate.

Seth