WWMD? Buying a repaired carbon frame

Would you? Bike was dropped on a rock which cracked the top tube. The bike was taken to Roberts Composites and repaired in Jan/Feb of 2015, but has never been built up. The frame is being sold at a good price, I don't care about the cosmetic issues, but have obvious concern about the bike braking or a reduction in stiffness. The bike is a Sant Cruz Tallboy LTc. The owner says that Roberts has a great reputation, and that he trusts the repair completely. I'm planning on giving them a call later today to see if anybody remembers this repair and get a feel for how confident they are with the fix.

I'm not planning on jumping this bike (or any bike) or doing any real rowdy downhills. I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but looking at building this bike as an all around xc bike. Not planning on racing.

Thoughts?

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5669.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	186092

I have seem some VERY good carbon repairs done. Maybe ask the seller if the repair fails on the first 5 rides they will take it back? also see what the repair place policy is?

but overall, should be fine

Thanks mtnlion.

The Roberts website says that they will guarantee all repaired frames to not break in the same place or they will fix again.

That gives some peace of mind about getting the repair fixed, but it probably wouldn't cover the cost of getting the tube removed from my chest if there was a catastrophic failure.

I'm leaning toward doing it. Thanks for the feedback.

Seth

If it's done by one of the reputable shops out there get a good price for it and don't worry too much.

Ride the piss out of it, no worries.

I know a couple people who have had frames repaired at Roberts. They have not had any issues over time. Roberts does good work.

A buddy has been riding a repaired carbon frame for years. It wasn't Roberts but it sounds like that is one of the better fixers.

This is all really good news. Seller has sort of dropped off the grid - thinking he doesn't really want to ship across the border from Canada. I'm crossing my fingers, as I think it would be a good deal.

Seth

Define good deal? How much scratch?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"