Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just converted and preaching the gospel. Went with the 10 speed 11-42 and a 32 oval chainring. Was expecting it to be as good as the 2x10, but it actually felt even more efficient. I suspect that had something to do with the oval, though can't compare as I haven't run one before, but felt like I could push a gear way longer, like when spinning up a climb, and then having to mash to get over a steep techy section without having to switch gears. In any case, didn't miss having more gears to choose from. In fact, never even shifted into the 42t. That was pretty much what I was hoping for, only using that for the nastiest of climbs that I might encounter a handful of times a season, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything on the top end going with a 32 up front, either.
    Much thanks for the SunRace suggestion, too. I was prepared to drop $325 going to XT 1x11. Ended up spending a total of $135 and fully stoked. Beers on me if you're ever in Tahoe.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Just converted and preaching the gospel. Went with the 10 speed 11-42 and a 32 oval chainring.
    Any idea on weight savings?

Thinking about doing this on my Tallboy and spent some time looking online at the Sunrace option in the thread. Glad to hear that you're satisfied with yours.

Seth

Don't know, not a gram counter. Figure a slightly heavier cassette that is probably offset by getting rid of the little ring up front, and then eliminating the derailleur and shifter altogether. Can't go wrong for such a meager investment, wish I did it sooner.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Long term report- Starting to look like I might need a long cage rear der to make this thing work properly. Could just be my lack of bike mechanic/ rear der adjustment skills though.

A derailleur that can handle a double with an 11-36 cassette will cover 1x 11-40 no problem. That's only 4 more teeth on the cassette, but it was covering a 14t jump on the chainrings. So 10t less range overall.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    A derailleur that can handle a double with an 11-36 cassette will cover 1x 11-40 no problem. That's only 4 more teeth on the cassette, but it was covering a 14t jump on the chainrings. So 10t less range overall.
    Thanks. Probably just a failing of my mechanic abilities then. I may need a new cable and housing and someone who knows WTF they're doing. Enroute to Fruita, so I'll get OTE to sort me out I guess.

New cable kit and possibly check your bb spacers to pull your chainline in a little bit.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell