Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO mags: Winter Park or Steamboat?

Not sure we'll be able to get there this winter, but our Mt Hood Meadows season passes have three complimentary days at Winter Park or Steamboat with no blackouts.

I don't know much about Winter Park. Trail map looks like it has some fun terrain.
    What I've heard about Steamboat : family-oriented; not known for steeps; when it's on for powder, it's pretty amazing.

I figured I'd ask what the strengths/weaknesses are of each from the folks that have skied both.
    This would be a trip for me & my 11yo son for the upcoming winter. He's a capable kid and can ski relatively steep inbounds terrain (no wunderkind, just an eager advanced level skier). His birthday is just before Christmas so that might be a likely target time.

Assuming perfect weather, is there a reason to pick one vs the other?

WP: better steep terrain, better snow quality when it hasn't snowed in awhile (higher elevation and better aspect), more Denver crowds, less to do in town
    Steamboat: lots of great intermediate and advanced terrain, better pow days, bad snow in between (low, west facing), less crowded, better town, hot springs

For an 11yo kid, advanced skier, I'd say Steamboat. I loved going there growing up. There's enough terrain to be entertaining, and going to the hot springs pool and waterslide after was always a good time.

Xmas is hit or miss in CO. If we don't get much early season snow, there might not be much open yet at either place.

If "perfect weather" means (champagne) pow, then I'm picking Steamboat, for sure. The aspen tree skiing is pretty awesome at Steamboat. Plus, it will be less crowded at Steamboat than Winter Park. I mean don't get me wrong, Winter Park is good, but if you're coming for a vacation, I'd pick Steamboat.

Edit: Adrenalated summarized it quite well!
    "PC Load Letter, what the fuck does that mean?"

I like both. But damn WP gets tracked up quick.

I carry RMSP+. December is a tough call, could be great, could be meh. But you got to plan for the upside right???

WP/MaryJane - my go to resort. lots of groomers, lots of cat tracks = carry speed. odd placement of lifts so getting from one side to other is tough if you dont know where your going. having said that, fun place to let it run if bluebird groomers are in order. I spend most of my time on the Jane side. If good snow then its really fun but does take time to get the trees filled in. chairs challenger and super gauge is where I spend most of my time. Pano for top but can get shut down for wind and if you lap sunnyside waiting for it to open then miss alot of better skiing.

got the resort area for limited food, apres and some in town but more of a laid back feel for the ski town, touristy but not touristy if that makes sense.

SB - all depends on snow. been on low snow trips to SB and still had a good time though my skis suffered. storm peak and morningside can be fun chairs. If the snow is good then I like climbing to storm peak and get the chutes. SB has really good spacing on trees pretty much all over. pony express is fun chair with good coverage, poor without.

SB has much more tourist feel and would be full on prior to christmas. downtown is nice and lots of choices for apres.

Let me know when out and will see if can hook up. There are a few of us that carry the RMSP+

Thanks, everyone...that's helpful info

always up to meet new ski nuts, we will def call out to locals to meet up for a few runs

I hate them both, but I'd say if given a choice, I'd pick WP. Just threw up in my mouth a bit......

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

I don't know much about Winter Park. Trail map looks like it has some fun terrain.
    What I've heard about Steamboat : family-oriented; not known for steeps; when it's on for powder, it's pretty amazing.

I figured I'd ask what the strengths/weaknesses are of each from the folks that have skied both.

Assuming perfect weather, is there a reason to pick one vs the other?
    The trees at SB are sublime on a deep day, and they get plenty of those, with very high quality snow. My top 3 days have all been at SB. The place seems to consistently under-report like few places I've been. I have photos from a 7" day with snow breaking at my buddies waist. There is some steep terrain off the summit with fun drops everywhere, but it's short and leads you to a nice big flat. There is no bowl skiing. whole mountain is below treeline. If it's sunny, flying down the groomers from the gondola summit with perfect views of the Flat Tops and the Yampa Valley doesn't suck. Fun town and great hot springs too.

WP... A minus trees & some short, but quality steeps. Things get bumped up fast and the crowds will show up from Denver. If the Cirque is open, it's worth a lap (try "Heart of Darkness"). Snowfall is consistently good. The groomers are nothing great, it's all about the trees . On storm days, count on Eagle Wind, Panoramic and the Cirque all being closed. There are quite a few traverses.

Both are great hills, you'll have fun either way. Late December, I'd go to the 'Boat, that place skis much better on a lower base and they get more snow.

Chiming in again cause I'm bored so ill ramble.
    Just saw the "before Christmas" criteria. Isn't the boat about as good a bet as anywhere prior to Christmas?
    I'm a Jong with a family, so take that into consideration.
    I've spent 3 full weeks at SB, probably 6-7 days at WP. Again,I like both; but for a "vacation" I'd prob pick steamboat. I've been twice in mid-late March which is supposed to be past prime in SB. First time we got snow most every day. I was getting fresh tracks at 2pm, and it was almost deserted, but I generally don't mind sking during a storm, but others obviously couldn't take it (including my wife). The 2nd time in March was warm and not as good. 3rd time was in January (wheelhouse) month for SB, but it was warm as shit and really disappointing. Still had fun but; a weather anomaly, lucky me.
    We prefer to stay downtown and bus to the resort. I'd rather bus to the resort to ski, and be able to walk to dinner or to the Space Station and liquor store(stayed near mtn once, in town twice). Like the attitude of the locals and the resort employees. Like the kids ski school.

Only been to WP with friends once and alone once. I like the terrain variety, even as a Jong. Had a little fresh snow both times I've been and it's been tracked up really, really fast. Even on a Sunday with a Broncos home playoff game. The town, isn't really a town like SB, PC, TRide, but I still had a good time and liked the vibe at the places I went to. Granted I wasn't looking for a thumping night club. Very laid back, spaced out establishments. Definitely not as easy to get around without a car as SB. At SB, I've never felt like I needed a car. The trans is really good IMO.

KenJongIll, that kinda fits our vibe too
    And, if I didn't have to rent a vehicle, that would make the trip more affordable (tho at 3-4 days, maybe it's the same as paying for transfers)

No car makes it SB, stay downtown as kenjong stated, great trip for the kid and you!!!

SBS FTMFW.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Steamboats typically better early season and every couple years, they get slammed.

A rental car will be cheaper for a short trip. Book Southwest and just cancel if it doesn't look good.

Do both. They're only about 1.5-2 hrs apart. Fly into denver, hit up winter park on your way to the boat or on the way back

RMSP+ holder here. All good points. Steamboat seems to get more open sooner than Winter Park. The Boat seems to get more late-November and December snow from smaller storms out of the northwest that can really deliver.

I spend all my time skiing at WP, and even I'd say the better vacation spot is the Boat. Which one will have better skiing then is a crapshoot, but SB is really the better ski vacation spot.

That said, if I can connect with ya in WP I'll buy you a beer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Do both. They're only about 1.5-2 hrs apart. Fly into denver, hit up winter park on your way to the boat or on the way back
    really, this is the answer. Check out WP because it's cool. One of the best mountains out there for bumps and trees (though Xmas isn't the best time) and has some fun other stuff too. But stay in the Boat because the town is way better, hot springs, etc.

If both mountains were equidistant for me (ugh, that means I'd be in Kremmling), I'd ski WP more than Steamboat. But I would ski more powder at Steamboat (because they have less crowds, more sleeper days, etc).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If both mountains were equidistant for me (ugh, that means I'd be in Kremmling), I'd ski WP more than Steamboat. .
    If you lived in Kremmling you might find yourself too busy defending your community from communist forces to have time for recreational activities such as skiing.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    If you lived in Kremmling you might find yourself too busy defending your community from communist forces to have time for recreational activities such as skiing.
    Name:  red_dawn_old_school.jpg
Views: 3734
Size:  88.6 KB

that war is tough to let go man....

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I get the joke, but Kremmling is rapidly becoming an extension of Summit, since nobody can afford to live in Summit. The demographics in that town are changing quickly. The commute to work in Summit must suck ass, construction all summer and shitty conditions in winter.

OP, hit me up if you make it to WP. I'll show you all the stashes in Sorenson Park.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    Name:  red_dawn_old_school.jpg
Views: 3734
Size:  88.6 KB

that war is tough to let go man....
    HAHA! Yes!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I had fun at both mountains but felt like I was walking/cattracking the entire day at Winterpark. Definitely consult/follow a local if you decide on WP over Steamboat to avoid this.

As others have said, the hot springs in the Steamboat area are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mabdd7 View Post
    I had fun at both mountains but felt like I was walking/cattracking the entire day at Winterpark. Definitely consult/follow a local if you decide on WP over Steamboat to avoid this.
    It's been posted a few times in this thread so I believe y'all, but I will also admit that as a MJ regular, I don't get this. I mean, sure, if you ride one of the runs off C-chair, you have to take the cat track at the bottom back to the lift, but that's pretty standard at lots of places. As a general matter, I don't feel like I ride cat tracks nearly as often as at, say, Vail. But it's been a dozen years since I was a WP/MJ newb, so it must be something you have to figure out.

Corona Way isn't too bad, the real bad flats are below Eagle Wind, Cirque and Vasquez ridge. If they cut the bottom half off that quad, that area would ride exponentially better.
    It's not Vail, but there's no shortage of sideways skiing either.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Corona Way isn't too bad, the real bad flats are below Eagle Wind, Cirque and Vasquez ridge. If they cut the bottom half off that quad, that area would ride exponentially better.
    It's not Vail, but there's no shortage of sideways skiing either.
    What quad? Pioneer? I never ride it.

Before eagle wind, yeah, you went out there and you had a long way back, but with Eagle Wind I guess I don't see it. But the way I look at things, if riding a lift like eagle wind, you can choose to ride directly back to the lift. If you choose to go way out skiers left (like to Belle Fourche), you do so knowing the cat track back will be longer. But I'll admit, that track doesn't bother me one bit on tele equipment. And the Cirque as a whole requires lots of walking, so the cattrack should be the least of anyone's concern!