Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The best thing I've ever eaten

It was a small restaurant in New York. Maison Alsace American. The owner had his daughter Francine play the recorder.

Smoked butt at clydesdad's house (ask Tahoebc) - slt

Yellow peach from ram dass orchard - farmers markets and esparto

Fresh oysters during a wedding after party (olema)

Mole at red iguana (slc)

I once had some incredible fish and chips at a service station in kaikora (sp?) NZ. I'm pretty sure it was caught across the street.

Nettle cheese at cow girl creamy.

Always been fond of Barolo Grill in Denver for some reason

Chocolate croissant at Cafe Besalu in Seattle are unbelievable

Caribbean Roast sandwich at Paseo hit the spot

Anytime you can get fresh spot prawns...now matter what they are in

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    to many decadent meals

Starting with: Gossman's Dock - Montauk

Use to fly into the airstrip across the inlet and take the water taxi to the back of the restaurant.
    Timing was critical; one end of the runway would flood with the tides.

Lobster Casserole - served in the 15oz corningware bowl that it was cooked in. So rich the hand made bread was a must.

Restaurant and associated properties just went up for for sale - 52.5mil
    http://www.27east.com/news/article.c...ale-In-Montauk

Under the Hotel Griffon on Steuart St in SF - Perry's on the Embarcedero
    The duck a l'orange - difficult to get right, most of the time it's either greasy or to orangified. This was so perfect. We were in the hotel for the week and I had it the first and last night we were there.

At "The Peak" atop Victoria Peak in Hong Kong. Chow Casserole, kind of a shepherds pie with a real flaky top and almost burnt around the edge. Made with the meat of a chow dog. Served in a small tin about the size of a large mason jar and you could have as many as you wished. Charged individually of course.

Monkey Brain - Macau, indian quarter. Place was a dive... you sit in a booth with a drape that gets closed. It will sit up to 6 people. There is a circular trap door in the middle of the wooden table and you are given mallets and a lobster like brown paper bib. A semi conscious live monkey that has been prepped (scalped) is shoved up through the trap door and you have to hit it quickly with the mallet to crack it's scull (putting it out of it's misery) and spoon the brain onto your serving dish. It's more show than anything. You don't get very much. Think of a real stiff custard.

Pierre Alexis 1877 - a gratto like setting carved deep into the gneiss rock in the valley walls of courmayeur, Italy. Raw Bull Tongue - served paper thin with thinly sliced bread. You consume it like bruschetta - you put it together yourself. Peppercorn if you choose to garnish.

These are some of the exotics
    Plenty more...

The best hot dogs - damn, I love these things cooked anyway you can think of.

Rutt's Hut, Clifton NJ since 1928. Their called ripers and they are amazing. The only topping available other than mustard or relish is cheese. Probably a #8 (size)

Blackie's Hot Dogs - Cheshire CT with a secret recipe relish, probably a #10
    Rutts is fantastic

Chimichanga chile colorado enchilada style at a place in South Tucson. I can't recall the name (if I ever knew it). Every time I go to a new SW restaurant that has chimichanga on the menu I give it a try. None has measured up.
    The scallops in coconut lime sauce at Celestin's in Sacramento was pretty. Last time we ate there before it closed Patrick Celestin told me how to make it. It's hard to get really good scallops though.
    The veal stew my friend Tony made when I visited him in JH. It counts as a restaurant meal because he owned a restaurant at the time (Anthony's).
    It's hard to cook anything that's as good as a really ripe peach, though.

Ruth's Chris (Portland)-creamed spinach and french onion soup
    Mortons of Chicago-any steak
    Charlies (original location in Orlando)-center cut sirloin and bone in ribeye

Next contestant please.

The cajun fish tacos at Lanai's in Kaanapali, Maui are a must if you are on the island.

Best Steak: Hy's Calgary, AAA Alberta Beef
    Best Dim Sum: Good Mong Kok SF China Town
    Mexican: Oyamel Washington DC
    Sichuan: Gordy's Spokane WA
    Thai: Pok Pok Portlandia

Thats all I got for "best" Honorable mentions:

Pakistani: Pakwan SF
    Pizza: Cheeseboard Berkeley

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Rutts is fantastic
    You just quoted a post about eating dog pie and icemanning a monkey to eat its brain just to say you agree with his position on hot dogs in new jersey?

Normal people food:

Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur - hot dog cart in Reykjavik, Iceland. Fucking outstanding.
    I will always love the Puntas de Filete at Red Iguana, SLC.
    Sausage slices from Freddie & Pepper's, UWS Manhattan
    Carne Asada Burritos from Pedro's Tacos in San Clemente, CA
    Fried Grouper sandwich from some old lady in Bimini, Bahamas
    Crab Cakes at Faidley's in Baltimore, MD
    Roast Pork sandwich at Dinic's in Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market (waaaay better than any cheesesteak)
    Ribs (pork) at Pappy's Smokehouse in St. Louis, MO
    "Brauhauswurst“ at the Frueh am Dom Brewery in Cologne, Germany
    Roast Pork at the Augustiner Tent, Oktoberfest, in Munich, Germany
    Cubano Sandwich at Versailles, Little Havana, Miami FL
    Dungeness Crab at Chandler’s in Seattle, WA

Salumi, Seattle. I had been a regular patron there and frequently spent my Friday afternoons there sharing incredible food and wine with a friend or two and the proprietor.

Prior to their rise to rock-super- stardom and Armandino Batali's (Mario's dad) departure as the day-to-day operator Salumi used to offer the opportunity to book a Saturday night dinner once a month. I was honored to attend two of these, one being a birthday celebration for yours truly. The menu was designed over meetings with Armandino. There were 14 people in attendance. Tariff was $100 a head. I chose and provided the wine.

The menu for the evening is attached. Unfortunately the only copy I can find is prior to adding all the wines, but let me assure you they were spectacular and copious in quantity. Dinner started at 6 and was over at 1am. Armandino stopped offering these events within a few months of this. Not sure if we had anything to do with that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salumidinnermenu.pdf 
Views:	226 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	185351
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Corn soup from Mistral is right up there.
    I've been thrown out of Mistral before! Many fun times there.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post

The menu for the evening is attached. Unfortunately the only copy I can find is prior to adding all the wines, but let me assure you they were spectacular and copious in quantity. Dinner started at 6 and was over at 1am. Armandino stopped offering these events within a few months of this. Not sure if we had anything to do with that.

Yum!
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Rutts is fantastic
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    You just quoted a post about eating dog pie and icemanning a monkey to eat its brain just to say you agree with his position on hot dogs in new jersey?
    A clear indication of how good these hot dogs really are \:~>

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Normal people food
    Normal according to who? You?

Sampling a piece of a culture without passing judgement is intrinsic to understanding and appreciating the people.

Anything else is a condemnation and in my experience fed by fear.

Wasn't it just national hot dog day? I feel like you could dedicate an entire thread to just the goodness of hot dogs and associated tube meat.

Hot Doug's in Chicago was great for gourmet/crazy hot dogs.

Happy Dog in CLE is fantastic haute white trash dogs

The various brats, metts, and wursts at Andechser am dom in Munich are memorable.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    I've been thrown out of Mistral before! Many fun times there.
    Have a few tales along these lines... really funny in the rear view mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wasn't it just national hot dog day?
    Yesterday as a matter of fact!

BBQ'd a few salsa burgers - go figure
    Last edited by Gepeto; 07-23-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Salumi, Seattle. I had been a regular patron there and frequently spent my Friday afternoons there sharing incredible food and wine with a friend or two and the proprietor.

Prior to their rise to rock-super- stardom and Armandino Batali's (Mario's dad) departure as the day-to-day operator Salumi used to offer the opportunity to book a Saturday night dinner once a month. I was honored to attend two of these, one being a birthday celebration for yours truly. The menu was designed over meetings with Armandino. There were 14 people in attendance. Tariff was $100 a head. I chose and provided the wine.

Mmmmm Salumi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Huevos Rancheros from Las Gorditas here in flagstaff is among my favorites. It's a locals secret dive joint run by an awesome family. The tacos and chili relleno's are super good too. You can walk away full for <8$.

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	185361
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wasn't it just national hot dog day? I feel like you could dedicate an entire thread to just the goodness of hot dogs and associated tube meat.

Hot Doug's in Chicago was great for gourmet/crazy hot dogs.
    I was totally bummed when I heard Doug had decided to shut it down. Never made sense to me since the place was mobbed every freaking day. If you're ever in Denver check out Biker Jim's in the ball park neighborhood. Or, in my hood, there's a great little hole in the wall dog shop called Harley's. Killer tube meats...

http://www.harleysdogs.com
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1469307234.879285.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	558.4 KB 
ID:	185363

I dream about the picadillo from El Siboney in Key West. Damn you Warthog for ever introducing me to that place.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Probably have had better food before, but Pizzaria Locale in Boulder is always really really good. Diavola with their chile oil and a bundino for dessert. Crave it on a regular basis.

Duo and Root Down in Denver are also awesome places to eat. D Bar for dessert.

Sucks that Gepeto is gonna die from Prion disease, but I guess you can only eat monkey brains once.

Roti at the Fat Virgin near bitter end club on virgin gorda.

Donuts at Bunny the micro bakery in Chicago(sadly closed).

L'Ami Jean in Paris, especially this Parmesan soup they had.

Chateaubriand in Paris, magical night.

Minibar in Cafe Atlantico back about 15 years ago, when it wasn't 275 dollars. I had no idea you could do that with food.

Had a wonderful 'midwest omakase' at Arbor Project in Chicago several months ago. Was 100$ I believe for 7 courses, all were huge portions and evening lasted nearly 6 hours. If you are in Chicago, and can't get a table at one of the Alinea group spinoffs or alumni restaurants like Elizabeth, highly recommend this place. It's odd, in an office building, but one of the more unique meals I've had in the last several years.

Mamas fish house was good, but I didn't get the hype.

This is Hamachi Kama, and it's the best part of the fish. Most legit sushi joints will have it.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.