Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Any thoughts on the truck? Diesel vs gas. Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. I'm not brand loyal. Just want reliable and easy to fix.

I'm going to go look at some trucks next week, but I'm curious about the space of an extended cab vs crew dab. If it's a DD, I'll be hauling kids daily. Four door is probably ideal, but then I'd prefer a shorter bed. Long bed is better for some of the bigger campers, but with four doors, that's a long fucking truck.
    My first truck was a 4 door Dakota which was fine when my kids were smaller, moved to the Ram 1500 crew cab for the cab space. It is a 5.5 foot bed, which I can get 4 bikes and 2 inflatable kayaks in. As for power, never been an issue with a pop-up. The Dakota had issues in higher passes like Monarch or Wolf Creek, but nothing that would stop you.

Guy next door to me has a 30' trailer and tows with a F150 without issue as well. He just needed an equalizer hitch for smoother towing.

The GM 5.3 is a great gas motor. Same with the 4.6 and 5.4 Fords. Buy as nice and as big as you can afford or are willing to drive and fuel every day. No one ever complained of having too much hauling ability. Diesels cost more to buy and maintain.

Any thoughts on the truck? Diesel vs gas. Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. I'm not brand loyal. Just want reliable and easy to fix.

I'm going to go look at some trucks next week, but I'm curious about the space of an extended cab vs crew dab. If it's a DD, I'll be hauling kids daily. Four door is probably ideal, but then I'd prefer a shorter bed. Long bed is better for some of the bigger campers, but with four doors, that's a long fucking truck.
    Buy a 2001 - 2007 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0L V8. Reliable, huge aftermarket, easy to work on, engines and transmission will last 250,000 miles. I have owned 2 - and both were/are fantastic trucks. Buy a set of highway friendly tires with some meaty tread voids - I like the Goodyear Duratrac a lot but there are other good ones out there too. I'd go 4 door shortbed (6.5') if you've got kids to haul. The extended cab is a pain to open and close all the time. Better to give the children their own door.

Diesel trucks only get marginally better fuel mileage (17mpg vs 14mpg) at a much higher upfront cost - so unless you are towing very heavy loads where you need the extra low-end grunt, go gas. Any issue you have with the diesel will cost 2-3x the amount a gas truck would cost to fix as well.

I don't like Ford or Dodge gas trucks - but those would be what I would consider for a diesel if you really want one. But keep in mind the equivalent diesel truck will probably cost double what the gas ones will. That difference will cover a lot of stops at the gas pump.

The 5.4 and 4.6 Ford engines do have issues like exhaust manifolds rusting, ignition coils going and spark plugs being ejected. Other than that they seem good.

I am not crazy about the 5.5 foot boxes. I have an extended cab that my 4 and 6 year old sit in without complaint. But I am not sure I would want to be putting a teenager back there for any length of time. The crew cab and 6.5 box is probably the best of both worlds.

Have you settled on the pop-up? Seems to me that if you're going camper you'll need at least the 6.5 foot box.

Yeah, 6.5' bed would be the minimum. I'm seeing some bigger truck campers that would require the 8' bed, but I guess I need to find a truck before I can decide on a camper.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

For towing a trailer: any 1/2-ton will be fine for any pop-up, or any of the "hybrid" type (smaller hard side trailer with fold-out bunks at the ends). It'll also make for a nicer daily driver vs. heavier-duty trucks.

Diesel vs gas -- diesel makes more sense if you've got really heavy towing loads and you'll be towing regularly. Example: towing giant horse trailers around the country to compete in shows or rodeos for half the year, or 30' fifth wheels. On mileage: diesel gets better MPG under load vs gas motor, but as posted above, the MPG difference unloaded isn't nearly enough to justify the added initial cost or maintenance of a diesel.

Yeah, 6.5' bed would be the minimum. I'm seeing some bigger truck campers that would require the 8' bed, but I guess I need to find a truck before I can decide on a camper.
    I disagree. If you're going to go with a truck camper, IMHO decide first on the camper, then buy the truck that'll safely carry it.

Example: don't buy a 1/2-ton truck and then decide that you need a camper with a wet weight of 2000 or 3000 pounds (i.e. fully stocked, as loaded on truck). 1/2-ton truck payload is -- at best -- 1600-1900#. A 4-door 4WD 1/2-ton will be at the lower end of the range. That payload also needs to account for all the passengers' weight, plus the stuff you'll take with camping: food, water, beer, chairs, cookware, clothing, bikes/ guns/ surfboards/ whatever other stuff you plan on using while camping. It all adds up.

There are a lot of tradeoffs in RV land. Space vs weight vs cost vs amenities.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I see no downside to skipping the 1/2 ton for a 3/4 ton if you plan on hauling a camper frequently. Even if it's small and light.

No where near as much as i should. And it shows.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Our next door neighboors just go this one. It's pretty bad-ass. I am going to make sure my next vehicle can tow thiers for sure.

http://aliner.com/campers/lxe/

I don't get the Aliner. I had a tiny 8-foot Jayco that was as light, but had two queen beds. And a third bed for kids. That thing looks awkward. Mine didn't have a shower, or a shitter, but no one should shit in a trailer that small. Especially me. (Well, mine had a shitter but I took it out before my first trip.)

It looks like it folds flat, but there are no pics online showing it.

The wife and I have pretty much ruled out a trailer. She's not ready to give up on the camper van, though showing her the cost has been a pretty effective deterrent. She wants a toilet for when nature calls in the middle of the night. The no shitting rule is already in effect as far as I'm concerned. I love the extra space and layout of the flatbed campers, but you lose the bed, and the cost starts approaching van territory.

Chup, not sure how to pick a camper up without a truck? I could borrow from a friend, but that's a big favor if the camper is across the country, which most are (I'm in VA). What I'm looking at is ~8' campers ala FWC Grandby, Hallmark Everest, ATC Puma, etc. So, I'm looking at standard bed, 3/4 ton trucks.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...27#post4495627

Lightweight travel trailer can be towed with SUV, not sure what your driving now. And has shitters

Chup, not sure how to pick a camper up without a truck? I could borrow from a friend, but that's a big favor if the camper is across the country, which most are (I'm in VA). What I'm looking at is ~8' campers ala FWC Grandby, Hallmark Everest, ATC Puma, etc. So, I'm looking at standard bed, 3/4 ton trucks.
    Sorry, my point was just that I suggest figuring out what sort of camper you intend to buy, without actually buying it yet -- go look at new ones, see if your wants/needs lean more towards FWC/ATC (i.e. lighter popup) or more towards full inside bathroom/ shower/ A/C (i.e. heavier hardside). Look at whether the floor plans make any difference to you if on an 8' vs 6' bed. Then, go find a truck that'll carry your intended camper style.

An 8' bed 3/4 ton truck will hold a FWC/ATC with plenty of payload to spare, and IMHO is a very good match for the heavier end of pop-ups (the Northstar I have, Hallmark & Outfitter). It may be a little on the light duty side if you're considering a 10-12' hardside camper (i.e. longbed + camper hangs off end of truck with wraparound styling); for those, you're in 1-ton truck territory, and perhaps dually rear axle.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

It looks like it folds flat, but there are no pics online showing it.
    From that link: http://aliner.com/media/

Folds pretty flat.

Never understood the a-frame concept for campers. And shitting is best done in a nuclear waste containment facility. Or the 3rd floor bathroom. Do any campers come with a 3rd floor?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I'm definitely in the pro-van approach, so not an expert on these expandable trailers, but I imagine the A frame advantage is solid walls > tent like walls. Warmer in cold weather, cooler in hot, etc

AWD Chevy Express (i.e. GMC Savanna) ($10-15K) + Colorado Camper Van pop top ($8K). Sleep parents up top and kids down below (convertible seat/bed). Add a pull-out emergency composting toilet for the wife. Build a small kitchen area behind drivers seat with stove top, fridge and sink. Install seat swivels for the front seats and you'll have a nice sitting area for 4. Add some AT tires and you'll get up most any forest road and threw any snow storm.

Pros:
    - Reasonable price. Could do <$25K depending on how many miles you're willing for the van to have. More like $35K if you want low miles.
    - Reliable V8.
    - Chevy parts are cheap and labor is easily found.
    - Don't screw around with towing / unloading / parking a trailer or slide-in.
    - Workable DD
    - Great wagon for hauling kids to the ski hill.

Cons:
    - Only sleeps 2 when hard-sided required. (Almost never a real issue.)
    - Less amenities and space than a trailer or slide in.
    - You'll either have to do some of the work yourself (kitchen, lower bed, seat swivels) or pay someone to.
    - Wait time -- takes a few months to get in line for the conversion and vehicle has to come to CO. Buy a van now, drive it to CO to ski, come back to get it/ski.

The pop up slide in truck camper may be your best option.

http://www.fourwh.com/product/fleet-...d-mini-tacoma/

However, you are not going to be able to tow much with a slide in camper already on a Tacoma or similar small truck, or even a 150. If you go with a slide in, you probably want these at minimum, to preload your overload spring to beef up the suspension.
    http://www.torklift.com/index.php/pr...ion/stableload

You may also want airbags.

Realize that truck campers are heavy and your truck is likely going to be at its capacity just from adding the camper. Trying to add tongue weight on top of that is damn near impossible for anything other than 3/4 and above trucks.

I've become interested in the new turbo diesel small blocks that are getting close to 30mpg and pairing it with a pop up truck camper.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    From that link: http://aliner.com/media/

Folds pretty flat.

Their marketing department needs some better people.

Went to a Chevy dealership to compare double cab to crew cab. I asked the guy if they had a bare bones 2500 double or crew cab. Steel wheels, no tint, hand crank windows, no carpeting. Guy says "That's a Work Truck, yeah, let me pull one around". He pulls it around and I'm intrigued. White, steel wheels, not bad. Look at the sticker. $43,000!

Okay, I get that nobody wants hand crank windows anymore, fair enough. But, how do small businesses buy these things? Base on a 2500 WT is $36,000, but dude said that those pretty much don't exist, and that you're looking at $40K to start. How can I buy a pimped out minivan for $12K less than a stripped down pickup truck? I get that it's heavy duty, and built to last, etc., but steel is relatively cheap isn't it? At least compared to leather and electronics and creature comforts. I've heard people complain about the cost of trucks, but I always assumed they were referring to the fancy consumer models.

Another wrinkle I was hoping to avoid. The wife started researching pickups and dug into safety ratings. So, now I'm trying to stay on budget while looking for much newer trucks. I've seen some decent deals on fleet vehicles. My biggest concern with those is that they've been idled to death.

Full-size trucks from the Big Three occupy the first, second, and third spots of most profitable vehicles sold if that tells you anything.

Here is a 2500 double cab for around $38k if willing to drive. Power windows, too.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    AWD Chevy Express (i.e. GMC Savanna) ($10-15K) + Colorado Camper Van pop top ($8K). Sleep parents up top and kids down below (convertible seat/bed). Add a pull-out emergency composting toilet for the wife. Build a small kitchen area behind drivers seat with stove top, fridge and sink. Install seat swivels for the front seats and you'll have a nice sitting area for 4. Add some AT tires and you'll get up most any forest road and threw any snow storm.

Pros:
    - Reasonable price. Could do <$25K depending on how many miles you're willing for the van to have. More like $35K if you want low miles.
    - Reliable V8.
    - Chevy parts are cheap and labor is easily found.
    - Don't screw around with towing / unloading / parking a trailer or slide-in.
    - Workable DD
    - Great wagon for hauling kids to the ski hill.

Cons:
    - Only sleeps 2 when hard-sided required. (Almost never a real issue.)
    - Less amenities and space than a trailer or slide in.
    - You'll either have to do some of the work yourself (kitchen, lower bed, seat swivels) or pay someone to.
    - Wait time -- takes a few months to get in line for the conversion and vehicle has to come to CO. Buy a van now, drive it to CO to ski, come back to get it/ski.
    Dont get anything from Colorado Camper van. the interwebz, especially the van forums, have lots of stories of shitty work, long delays, terrible customer service, etc, etc. stay way clear.
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by HobieTony View Post
    Dont get anything from Colorado Camper van. the interwebz, especially the van forums, have lots of stories of shitty work, long delays, terrible customer service, etc, etc. stay way clear.
    I just posted to ask that, but deleted because I figured I could research on my own. I've seen a couple threads, but haven't had a chance to dig into them.

I also asked about where the kids sit in a van when traveling, but then realized that they sit in the backy-back on the convertible seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Full-size trucks from the Big Three occupy the first, second, and third spots of most profitable vehicles sold if that tells you anything.

Here is a 2500 double cab for around $38k if willing to drive. Power windows, too.
    Makes sense, but still an eye opener for me. Thanks for the link, but a new truck puts me into used camper van territory. Also, way more than I want to spend just avoid the tent.

You live anywhere near Canada? With the dollar and things slowing in Alberta I bet there are some steals to be had on used trucks.

I just posted to ask that, but deleted because I figured I could research on my own. I've seen a couple threads, but haven't had a chance to dig into them.

I also asked about where the kids sit in a van when traveling, but then realized that they sit in the backy-back on the convertible seats.

Makes sense, but still an eye opener for me. Thanks for the link, but a new truck puts me into used camper van territory. Also, way more than I want to spend just avoid the tent.
    Don't buy a new truck. Just buy a mid to late 2000s Chevy. You will kill anyone you hit on the road and probably walk away from the crash unscathed. They are plenty safe. Tell you wife to simmer down and stop worrying. You should be able to get a nice rig for ~$10,000-15,000

New trucks are for businesses that need to take a major year-end tax deduction. That's why they can charge so much.

#BRODOZERLIFE