Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Heard back from Dynafit already. Here is what they say about the changes for the Beast (bold and underline is mine):

In regards to the Beast, I don’t have a pamphlet as of yet to hand out, but I can provide you with the following information as to the major improvements we implemented.

1. Double riveted reinforcement at rear hinge of magnesium spoiler.
    2. Ski/Walk Mechanism fixed for more secure integration.
    3. Master Fit inserts offering easier step in.
    4. New Liner, offering better fit and easier entry.
    5. Power Strap
    6. Improved Spoiler

The shape of the boot mold is the same. In order to uphold our standard of quality and our dedication to providing our customers with a top-of-the-line product, we felt these changes were necessary.

They are also asking me the Location of my purchase. I've tried to contact the seller to find out, and will let them know that I bought them used if I can't get the info because from the original owner. Does anybody know why this is important to Dynafit? Are they trying to determine whether these boots were purchased legitimately (i.e. still belong to the original owner) or are they trying to determine if they are one of the affected boots? I would think that if the recall is due to a safety issue (i.e. Ski/Walk mechanism doesn't function properly and could create an unsafe environment) that they wouldn't care whether you were the original owner or not. They would likely be liable for an injury regardless if you were original owner, so probably the latter.

Seth
    Most warranties only cover the original owner - not sure how that applies to recalls.

Didn't you pay cash at the store near wherever you live?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Didn't you pay cash at the store near wherever you live?
    Yeah. . . now that you mention it. . .

My guess is that they are simply trying to verify that the boots they are replacing are from the NA batch that are bad, as they aren't replacing anything in Europe (from what I've read). If that's the case, I'll supply them with the information they are asking for if I can get it from the dude who bought the boots originally. If he doesn't respond, I'll let them know the situation and we'll take it from there. If they are concerned about safety, I don't think it will matter whether I am the 1st or 50th owner - they are looking to avoid a lawsuit from somebody who gets hurt from an apparent design flaw.

So wait are you saying if I bought mine from telemark pyrenees that they won't take my boots back?

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Yeah. . . now that you mention it. . .

My guess is that they are simply trying to verify that the boots they are replacing are from the NA batch that are bad, as they aren't replacing anything in Europe (from what I've read). If that's the case, I'll supply them with the information they are asking for if I can get it from the dude who bought the boots originally. If he doesn't respond, I'll let them know the situation and we'll take it from there. If they are concerned about safety, I don't think it will matter whether I am the 1st or 50th owner - they are looking to avoid a lawsuit from somebody who gets hurt from an apparent design flaw.

Take a look at the wildsnow article. Pretty sure it says that it's North America only.

A while back I read about the heel lock over flexing open and that there was a repair for it. Dynafit said it was an easy mod and sent the parts and a work sheet to me. The part was a small shim that went between the magnesium spoiler and the black plastic piece on the boot side of the pin where the heel lock pivots. Had not known what the fix was, but with the small shim in hand I saw my boot already had it in place. So some boots lacked this mod and the easiest way to fix might be a recall.

Think XavierD got it right for why.

I like the fit and feel of the boot. I especially appreciate it's svelte exterior. The smooth through the snow idea makes sense to me. Held my foot and lower leg much better than my previous boot the zzero green machine and flexed evenly with the foot. Did not try on the carbon version, but the ms (is that for mud and snow?) felt stiff enough for me. I don't charge the hard snow in the BC and it is nice to have a slightly softer boot for the feel in the pow.
    Last edited by cat in january; 07-20-2016 at 07:37 AM.

they want to make sure that they are legit dynafit product sold by an authorized dealer and not some knock-offs made in the OG salomon quest factory.

I checked with the owner that I bought the boots from and he stated that he bought them from someone else on GearTrade.com. So, that's what I told Dynafit. I got my email this afternoon:

Hey Seth,

Thanks for the information! I have put you in line to get the 28.5 Beast Carbon...

Customer Service Rep
    Steve

It doesn't seem like they mind too much where they came from, although they may have a different policy for those that were purchased from Europe.

Cat reminded me of one thing I really DO like about the Khion/Beast - the buckle locations. I did not like the middle buckle location on the Vulcans - the center buckle popped open frequently/easily when boot packing, and I was always worried that I was going to snag it on something and break it.

Seth

The new lineup is on Dynafit's site. Interestingly the Beast is not listed as a new boot. Enlarging the photo of the dark version it appears the heel insert is missing. Maybe they are still working on the boot and just wanted something on the site. Also noted the boot is called the FT-1 (what Lou had reported the new name was going to be) Guessing they just put a photo in as a placeholder.

http://www.dynafit.com/us/footwear/boots.html

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Also noted the boot is called the FT-1 (what Lou had reported the new name was going to be) Guessing they just put a photo in as a placeholder.

http://www.dynafit.com/us/footwear/boots.html
    As of 7:20 PDT it says "Beast" and "Beast Carbon" - I especially like the TLT7 Expedition for "$0.00"

Should have used more words. When I clicked on the Beast boot, the item description in the upper right reads as "FT1 Free Touring boot"

Enlarging the photo of the dark version it appears the heel insert is missing. Maybe they are still working on the boot and just wanted something on the site.
    Yeah...it also still has the "Khion" logo in the photo of both the carbon and non-carbon versions.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

When I clicked on the Beast boot, the item description in the upper right reads as "FT1 Free Touring boot"
    Sure does. Damn copywriters. When I mentioned to some of the Salewa NA people last season that some consumers might think "FT1" is a new Full Tilt boot, they seemed surprised . . .

I got a pair from France (EpicTV) for $229... Even though they were a European batch theyre warrantying them. Anyone second hand buying no proof of purchase. Stoked to get the Beasts

I saw a khion with a broken rear hinge. Guess the recall is serious.

Since I have more mods than a 90 civic hatchback I wonder if I can get dynafit to trow something else in package.

How does it compare to the 'new' vulcan? Haven't been able to find much on either boot.

Did a search and saw REI has them on pre-order, but not much else in the US. I did find this site http://www.snowleader.com/en/beast-c...YFIT00232.html which I do not know that said they would be available to ship in the UK on 10/15.

Hoping boxes are being loaded in Italy now. October is looking unlikely here in the NE, but November is often a winter month.

I asked Dynafit when they would be available a while back, they said early to mid November.

Thanks, I had sent an email first of the week to Dynafit NA and had not heard so bumped this to see if anyone had heard anything.

Received a response today and echoed what you were told. Expecting in early November and out to folks shortly thereafter.

From a pure marketing perspective, the re-branding is interesting. It seems as if they want to separate themselves from the Khion. Must have been some really bad juju going down which didn't hit the press.

New model names impress the peasants. OTOH, calling it the Khion 2.0 would instill more confidence in me - that the model evolved and the bugs were worked out.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I was looking at some ski mag recently and was surprised the Beast Boot was featured along with tlt7 for boots on the Dynafit advertising page.

Weird on the Dynafit site that the MS and the Carbon model have different liners in the photos; that plus the generic power straps have me thinking the boot has been in pre-production development and there are no production photos yet.

Changes seem to be 2 pins in place of the 1 where the base of the magnesium spine attaches, power strap added, a new more traditional looking tongue liner.

Nice to see the liners for sale on the Dynafit site. Also noticed the Beast liner was a bit lighter than the listed weight for the Vulcan liner.

I had bought the ms version this Spring and it seemed fine flex wise, but a few people who skied it and the Carbon commented on the ms being noticeably softer. So I fretted. Going with a vipec black and Blizzard zerog 108 as a one ski out west, east soft snow ski. Asked and Dynafit said i could swap for the Carbon for $$. So that is what is coming. Hoping I can figure out from carpet testing if the stiffer boot is right. The carbon shell must have more pbex in the mold as it is heavier than the ms model. The skeleton appears to be the same and my understanding is they are grimalid in the ms, so the carbon should be slighter lighter if the only difference was the skeleton.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    From a pure marketing perspective, the re-branding is interesting. It seems as if they want to separate themselves from the Khion. Must have been some really bad juju going down which didn't hit the press.

New model names impress the peasants. OTOH, calling it the Khion 2.0 would instill more confidence in me - that the model evolved and the bugs were worked out.

... Thom
    I'm not in the "know" but I do seem to recall some talk of copyright infringement with the Khion name.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

So when will the carbons going to be replaced? I haven't sent mine in yet.

I called the other day and was told early November.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Hey. Its early November dynafit. Where are my boots?

Gave a call last week and was told early November. Replied that was next week (this one) and they said probably the one after that. The ms version has been for sale in Europe for a while now and is showing up in some US locations. Guessing the carbon is just around the corner.