Ski lift falls over in the forest, and nobody hears it

dam.... scary. 30 yr old foundation, be interesting to find cause of failure.

That is a sweet looking bullwheel.

Nightmare .... just think if you had been on the lift when that happened.

Is it just me, or have New England resorts seen more than their fair share of lift failures in recent times?

"Another chairlift has failed at a ski resort in Maine – the third time in six years"

Sounds like safety needs to tighten up a bit.

Ski lift falls over in the forest, and nobody hears it but it does make a sound.

It goes Boyne!!!!!!!!!!!

Catch-22.

Running a ski mountain in Maine is a very difficult business to stay in the black. Our winters are distinguished by bitter cold and thaw cycles which is hard on the lifts. Not an insider, but insurance must be skyrocketing putting further pressure on the business.

Our third largest area, Saddleback, was closed last winter and its reopening is in grave doubt. Saddleback has been for sale for 4 years without a buyer. CNL has been trying to sell the two largest areas Sugarloaf and Sunday River for a year without a buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tuttle from Tacoma Washington View Post
    Ski lift falls over in the forest, and nobody hears it but it does make a sound.

It goes Boyne!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nailed it!
    Originally Posted by nickwm21
    "hitting rocks ain't normal use in their eyes..."

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Catch-22.

Running a ski mountain in Maine is a very difficult business to stay in the black. Our winters are distinguished by bitter cold and thaw cycles which is hard on the lifts. Not an insider, but insurance must be skyrocketing putting further pressure on the business.

Our third largest area, Saddleback, was closed last winter and its reopening is in grave doubt. Saddleback has been for sale for 4 years without a buyer. CNL has been trying to sell the two largest areas Sugarloaf and Sunday River for a year without a buyer.
    One of the reasons I declined to relocate to way the fuck Northern NH and elected to remain in Montana. We are cold, dark and occasional dry but at the least our economy is doing decently and the ski areas seem to break even/make $$$.
    Last edited by bunion; 07-28-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Can't recall the specific thread (likely one about a lift failure) but some one postulated that lifts do indeed have a finite life span and that it may be a good idea for our aging ski ressorts to confort this reality. Problem is, lots of ski hills are not in a financial position to replace their agent lifts. Hudson Bay Mountain in Smithers barely scrapes by each year. They do a good job maintaining the lifts but it's hard to imagine them being able to replace the chair in the event of a catastrophic failure. Ditto Shames down the road. As amazing as the co-op is, one can't help but thinkthat a new chair would be a daunting challenge. How many other small hills out are a lift replacement away from total ruin?