Town of Alta plans

Any thoughts on the Town of Alta plans to develop the town as a year round destination? Extensive information on the Towns website. A new street with retail shops, extensive public transportation in the summer, employee housing, a new hotel, more parking, summer time activities, more night life to keep skiers in Alta, mountain top dining ya-da, ya-da. Did notice a $10 per car per day to use Hwy 210. HOV lane on Hwy 210 (good luck with that)

Lets ignore the 600 lb gorilla shall we? Highway 210, a lovely avalanche prone over used road, that will never have enough parking.
    carpe diem vita brevis

Wow $10 a car is outrageous! Why not just charge $50 per snowboard past the cutoff road?
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    When I did twice the work for half the control, I was a whiny little bitch

I don't see anything good there.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I don't see anything good there.
    Nothing at all, really? Is that the core-bro response to any change to Alta?

There are plenty of good ideas in the plans, but I can't decipher what plan is probably going to be chosen. hard to form an opinion until stuff is official.

The $10 a car I only found in public feedback, as just an idea by a random joe, or is it officially in the plans somewhere?

Let's break it down
    1) A new street with retail shops at Alta. Let's just change the entire personality of Alta. Make sure those retail shops are chock full of Gucci and Bogner.
    2)Improved public transportation: That is pretty vague. Let's hear the plan. Buses: they have buses. Trains: Sounds complicated, invasive and expensive
    3)Employee Housing: Sounds good, but would they be contrary to Open Space laws? Where will they get all that water? What about dogs? Should a side of a mountain be blown up for the infrastructure it takes to accommodate the increased housing?
    4)Nightlife, dining, yada yada: Does Alta really want this vibe? Do Alta patrons really want this vibe? How well do you think that these clubs and presumably high-end restaurants will do without changing Alta as it exists today.
    5) $10/car.: That really hurts the faithful Alta season pass holders, and current residents. OTOH, I would like $10/car for all non-season pass holders/residents. That may be doable.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The $10 parking was shown or listed, it was not a comment, there is also a parking garage on the north side of the road. I can understand why the GMD, Alta Lodge, etc would want this but why do the town residents want it? Is this recognition that without it at some point the skis area cannot survive?

For the lazy, here's the full plan in all of it's unreadably-formatted glory. Preferred concept is on page 2-11.
    http://www.ldi-ut.com/uploads/4/9/1/...v2_reduced.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    The $10 a car I only found in public feedback, as just an idea by a random joe, or is it officially in the plans somewhere?
    I did a lot of different word searches trying to sleuth it out but came up empty. However, it sounds like fee parking is coming this winter anyway. I would support a Millcreek-style fee system for LCC/BCC. I couldn't find anything about mountaintop dining either. The preferred concept doesn't look too bad initially, but you do get the feeling they want to become Snowbird 2.0 which is sad.

They must have spent a shitload on that document.

Other than the people paying $10 to park, who the hell is paying for all that?

Ugh this has ugly written all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Let's break it down
    1) A new street with retail shops at Alta. Let's just change the entire personality of Alta. Make sure those retail shops are chock full of Gucci and Bogner.
    2)Improved public transportation: That is pretty vague. Let's hear the plan. Buses: they have buses. Trains: Sounds complicated, invasive and expensive
    3)Employee Housing: Sounds good, but would they be contrary to Open Space laws? Where will they get all that water? What about dogs? Should a side of a mountain be blown up for the infrastructure it takes to accommodate the increased housing?
    4)Nightlife, dining, yada yada: Does Alta really want this vibe? Do Alta patrons really want this vibe? How well do you think that these clubs and presumably high-end restaurants will do without changing Alta as it exists today.
    5) $10/car.: That really hurts the faithful Alta season pass holders, and current residents. OTOH, I would like $10/car for all non-season pass holders/residents. That may be doable.
    If the people of Alta wants a walkable community center of shops, bars, and more, good for them. They have to spend a lotta long winter nights up there, not us. They also have to plan for growth as SLC valley blows up, which sucks but is life. Saying the "entire personality of Alta" will change is silly, no Gucci store has been decided upon yet. I hope the community decides on stores that have necessities for everyone (residents and tourists) and not whomever pays the highest rent. Anyways, you are making the standard hand-wringing "Alta can't change" points that mean nothing without more facts, just presumptions.

If all the residents are up in arms about this, then it's a concern I'd listen to. Maybe they do hate it? A large percentage probably is worried about the idea of change, no doubt.

bob, there was a mention somewhere that they got a grant, but that's all that was mentioned. I don't know for how much or from where.

looks awesome